Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I just am not really a fan of the lo-fi style nor the extremely pinpoint accurate timing of things in that kind of platformer. It's kinda why I always liked Mega Man X more than Mega Man.

It's funny because I enjoyed it specifically due to lacking nostalgia. I'd never really played that style of game so it didn't feel too samey to me.

That's interesting, I found the levels just merged into each other, nothing other than difficulty and colour really differentiated them for me. I dont dislike difficult games, I love them, it just felt frustrating to pinpoint jumps.

I loved the style and sound track though. Just wonderful music.

Do all you people complaining about pinpoint accuracy also hate Super Meat Boy? Because, to be perfectly honest, Shovel Knight pales in comparison to SMB in that regard.

I suck at the pinpoint accuracy of movement but I love it. I just like games that depend so highly on your movements, which probably has something to do with my Spelunky addiction.

Twig is right though, Shovel Knight is nowhere near as bad as Super Meat Boy or other crazy games. I wouldn't personally say Shovel Knight is even pixel perfect to be honest.

That's interesting, I found the levels just merged into each other, nothing other than difficulty and colour really differentiated them for me. I dont dislike difficult games, I love them, it just felt frustrating to pinpoint jumps.

I loved the style and sound track though. Just wonderful music.

Can i ask how far into the game you went? Probably a majority of the stages have their own localized game mechanics, so i'm surprised to hear this opinion.

I'm also going to fall on the side that thinks the game is probably actually on the easier side of the spectrum, at least relative to games it has things in common with.

Do all you people complaining about pinpoint accuracy also hate Super Meat Boy? Because, to be perfectly honest, Shovel Knight pales in comparison to SMB in that regard.

Never played it. It's not available on any platform I own.

Can i ask how far into the game you went? Probably a majority of the stages have their own localized game mechanics, so i'm surprised to hear this opinion.

I'm also going to fall on the side that thinks the game is probably actually on the easier side of the spectrum, at least relative to games it has things in common with.

I got to the tower place. I don't know, it just wasn't fun, the difficult platforming I do in some games is like a frustrating part I push through that leads to a reward. Whether it's more environments, more challenges, more combat or more story. Shovel Knight had none of those rewards, just more frustration.

It's not available on any platform I own.

i don't even know who you are anymore

I don't think it's a difficulty thing for me much like I don't think Dark Souls is a difficulty thing. Games like Shovel Knight and to a much greater extent SMB require you to master the mechanics to a fine point and I just don't like platforming and those SK's 2D fighting mechanics so much that I care to master them.

i don't even know who you are anymore

Lol, my PC is busted and I don't have time to fix it/can't be bothered.

A Vita or 3Ds SMB would be an instant buy for me.

Gonna have to quit Knights of the Old Republic (PC) after several hours of tinkering in order to get the screen resolution to (not) work on a modern TV. FlawlessWidescreen doesn't seem to make a difference. Best I can get doesn't show enough of the video game to see dialogue options. Can't even force windowed mode properly, maybe that's the root of the problem.

Sad face.

Quite.

For some reason it is now able to run in windowed mode (standard .ini tweak), and won't start half the time. Which is kind of considered normal KotOR behaviour on PC.

Not sure what changed, apart from running the x86 ver of FlawlessWidescreen instead of x64, and restarting KOTOR a dozen times. That said, the game display is still too large for the window.

If the res is set to 1920 x 1080, max available, then KOTOR will display as: q5gTNPS.png

..which is Best Case Scenario

Goodknight sweet prince

I agree with Griddlelol regarding Shovel Knight.  I beat the game and nothing about it really stood out for me.  I didn't find it particularly easy or hard.  Nothing about it was very memorable to me (except for maybe some of the music, that was pretty good).  All this is coming from someone who loves platformers and is nostalgic as hell.  I just really don't get why so many people love it.

Quite.

For some reason it is now able to run in windowed mode (standard .ini tweak), and won't start half the time. Which is kind of considered normal KotOR behaviour on PC.

Not sure what changed, apart from running the x86 ver of FlawlessWidescreen instead of x64, and restarting KOTOR a dozen times. That said, the game display is still too large for the window.

If the res is set to 1920 x 1080, max available, then KOTOR will display as:

..which is Best Case Scenario

Goodknight sweet prince

I don't really get what's happening in that screenshot. Is the window just partially off the screen or something? FWIW, I think that the fullscreen stuff doesn't happen in the main menu and that's why there's that weird designed border. Could be wrong, though.

Has anyone tried Kotor on a tablet? I've thought about buying it a few times since getting my Galaxy Tab for Christmas...

I was just about to say, it's on iOS and Android. It's pretty good with a touch interface thanks to the pause mechanic although it's as buggy as the original. 

Had mine crash about 5 times on the final boss, then corrupt the save. 

I'm probably quitting Half-Minute Hero 2, to me it's become what it was mocking. The first was fine and funny, but pretty quickly this one seems well too grindy and demanding, I'd even say disrespectful of my time which is weird since I've been playing JRPGs lately and this is the only one so far to annoy me.

It's not helping that I'm really enjoying the little I'm getting from the characters I'm playing. 

I just played the first one and... no it's not! You can play it that way, but every level is beatable in under 30 seconds. Literally all of them. I did it! And in most cases if you're grinding you won't get that under-30-seconds goal.

I found the first one quite a bit of fun, but something about the recipe broke for the second one and it just wasn't nearly as engaging or enjoyable. 

I liked playing the first Half Minute Hero because it only felt grindy when I actually missed the point of the level and ended up power levelling instead of using the boss's weakness against them. And even then the levels were so short that it was a trivial grind that was clearly not designed to make the game feel like an epic saga.

Also the writing some nice dumb fun.

I think I'm giving up on Hitman Absolution. I made it through the first half of the game or so, and it seems to be turning into more of a pure stealth game than a puzzly sneaky thing where you try to kill people in creative ways. Every other level asks you to just make it through an area and avoid police/guards/civilians, and I can't help but notice how most of them are designed with one shooty path and one sneaky path. It's just a bit dull, to be honesty. Which is a shame, because it is the first longer game I've played in a while. Oh well. Back to Majora's Mask, I suppose. 

I played a bit more of Half-Minute Hero 2 before giving it up for good. I can't why the formula no longer works, but it doesn't...

I'm giving up on Valiant Hearts. Adventure games are just not my thing, and if I find myself irritated at the prospect of doing stuff just to advance the story, it's probably time to quit. 

I also didn't like how the German leader was portrayed as some weird moustache twirling villain. It just felt out of place against what is otherwise a quite serious story. It also reminded me way too much of the bad guys in Rayman Legends.