Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I'm not going to defend W101 to death because there's no point, but I feel like giving up on a game after 30 mins is equivalent to turning off a movie once the title sequence is over.

Aesthetic choices I can understand, personally I loved W101's style, but it's not for everyone. 

I loved W101, but my main irk came when it got to drawing the hammer. I could never do it right. When I was trying to draw it, it always went: sword, gun, whip, hammer (for like 2 secs) and then fist. ARGH! Maybe I was just being too greedy in wanting a huge hammer? I did love the game though. I agree that you can't really judge a game after 30 mins, but then again I judge games purely by trailers and genre types, so what do I know? Maybe FIFA15 is actually a great game and I'm missing out on the Game of the Century. Maybe not. Who knows? :/

I just know that W101 and most of Platinum's games are really not my thing in terms of the mechanics, but I hope to give them all a try because I know the quality of their games is good. And once in a while, the aesthetics and the small gameplay variations just work out in a way that I can learn to like the frenetic action thing. That's why I like Vanquish so much, because it added some shooters stuff and a sci-fi aesthetic that just clicked in no way that Platinum's other stuff has for me. I could just as easily ignore all of Platinum's new stuff, but I'm hoping for another Vanquish.

I think judging something on genre and aesthetic is entirely valid. If Jon dislikes W101's aesthetic, there's nothing anyone can say that'll change that. It's an incredibly personal thing.

I'm sure something like FIFA has fantastic mechanical depth, but I don't think it's possible for me to care less about football, and I pretty much dislike all sports games because the idea of a video game based on a sport seems ridiculous to me. Genres are super important, I don't play survival horror nor do I play adventure games because I dislike the genre. It took me a long time to realise that there's no point in buying the "new survival horror game" that everyone is raving about because I just dislike them in concept. 

I would have saved a lot of money if I'd skipped games I should have known I wouldn't have liked based on the genre. 

I found the hammer to be alright, but I couldn't do the wolverine claws. It looks too similar to the whip! 

Vanquish is one of the only Platinum games I've not played. Only ever heard fantastic things about it, shame I'll probably never get to play it. Even if it's released on PSNOW at some point, I wouldn't want to deal with the input lag.

I planned on seeing Murdered: Soul Suspect through. It moved pretty briskly, even if it was frequently middling, and once in a while dared to show a bit of charm. However, right at the final or penultimate location, it hit me a game-breaking bug - possibly the first I can ever recall falling victim to myself. I can't progress, and it's even the fault of the worst aspect of the game - the stealth combat demons. Pretty frustrating, considering how close I was to the end. I would've liked to finish it just for completion's sake if nothing else.

Argh, I won't even buy the game because what I've about the stealth sections. 

I'm quitting The Quivering, an old adventure game nobody has heard of... for a reason. It's supposed to be a comedy horror adventure, but the humor falls painfully flat. The art style is rather goofy looking, but the moment anybody opens their mouth it stops being funny, maybe they just need a better delivery, but it's not even charming.

As for the puzzles, their logic isn't full moon logic, but it's not really explained either. You have to collect imps for everything, even SAVING. You can die easily so you kinda have to save and finding the imps is annoying, you literally have to stop on every screen and wait until one pops out of hiding to pick it up.

If only the deaths were a bit funny I might go on, but this game hasn't aged well, well, I don't think it was loved when it came out. Even with a walkthrough it was getting painfully boring.

I'm aware that I probably didn't give it a fair shake after one hour, but I just could not get into The Talos Principle at all.  It's not that it was bad; it's just that it didn't feel like a different enough game from a pile of other puzzle games I've played to be worth my time.  I kept wondering if I was missing something, but none of the puzzles were particularly interesting.  It was challenging while I was playing it, and had a remarkably steep learning curve, but it just did not grab my attention at all.  

In a world where Portal and The Swapper exist, I just didn't have it in me to keep playing this one.

It's time for me to quit Diablo 3.  The single-player first-time-through-the-campaign is terribly boring.  I feel like I'm bull-dozing everyone, the story..., and the aesthetics don't appeal to me.

Doing my best to be more self-aware and realize when certain games don't appeal to me.  D3 was a tough one because of the way everyone who loves it talks about it.  Over the years I've gotten very good at divorcing aesthetics and themes that don't appeal to me from gameplay because there is an absurd dearth of content that speaks to me.  The mechanics of D3 sound fun at the more challenging difficulties, but it all appears like garbage to me.  Crossed off my list!  :D

Destiny is crossed off, too, for similar reasons!

One thing about D3 is that you need to set it to the maximum difficulty possible almost immediately or you'll indeed be bored out of your skull by bulldozing everything.

That's of course not talking about aesthetics etc.

One thing about D3 is that you need to set it to the maximum difficulty possible almost immediately or you'll indeed be bored out of your skull by bulldozing everything.

That's of course not talking about aesthetics etc.

It's those darn developers gating off the harder difficulties.  Played it as hard as I could, but my character felt consistently over-leveled.

I thought they changed it so it wasn't gated anymore?

I thought they changed it so it wasn't gated anymore?

Not on the PS4 version at least, only the first 3 difficulties are available to begin with, the fourth difficulty is unlocked after beating Act IV and the rest of the difficulties are unlocked after beating Act V.  And all of the Adventure Mode stuff is gated if you haven't beat Act V. 

We were steamrolling the campaign in co-op on the hardest difficulty we had available the entire time. I was really frustrating to have it be artificially gated the way it was.

I'm currently debating whether to continue playing the new Thief or not, while I rather enjoy the gameplay, what bothers me is... the plot?

The very first level after the tutorial is more or less a slaughterhouse, with corpses hanging from meat hooks and utter disrespect to the dead, only to have the next level be... a brothel?

Maybe the game is trying to depict how corrupt and evil the world is in the game, but I've barely started and it's feeling more puerile than anything, what's next? A torture scene? Cannibalism?  :wacko:

I had to quit Saints Row 2 because its obvious GTA clonery was on full display and the PC version seemed...off.

In all fairness, my first SR experience was IV, which I loved. I just played through 3 and I enjoyed that as well but, man, I kinda wish IV were the only one in the series.

Finally uninstalled Far Cry 3. Fuck that game.

So did I! It isn't very good and the story is so corny. 

I didn't like that the big part of the game was to move to nodes already placed on the map, removing a big sense of discovery. It might be possible to turn that off, but it felt like a fundamental part of the game to me.

It isn't possible without modding the game, I don't think. I was playing it last night and realized I wasn't having any fun and just turned it off, right-clicked and deleted those local files.

Felt good.

I had to quit Saints Row 2 because its obvious GTA clonery was on full display and the PC version seemed...off.

In all fairness, my first SR experience was IV, which I loved. I just played through 3 and I enjoyed that as well but, man, I kinda wish IV were the only one in the series.

The PC port of SR2 is notoriously bad.

It isn't possible without modding the game, I don't think. I was playing it last night and realized I wasn't having any fun and just turned it off, right-clicked and deleted those local files.

Felt good.

Good man, I played that game last year and could not stand it. It was everything that Far Cry 2 wasn't, and less.

I'm done with shovel knight. Eh, it's alright, not anything astounding like people made it out to be. I suspect it's a little nostalgia buoying it up, even if it's not, it's just not for me. I find it way too frustrating.

I really liked the idea of breaking check points for more cash, but there's barely anything to spend the cash on, making it pointless to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to entirely quit Far Cry 4. Maybe I'm missing something, but it does next to nothing for me. The only part I'm finding even remotely interesting is scaling the mountains. There's too much breaking the flow of the game. Do one thing, go halfway across the map to do another thing, then back. Oh wait, you want to hold more ammo/loot/etc? Go somewhere else and try to find what you're looking for. The quick travel helps a tiny little bit, but even then, with it being so mountainous it makes it a bit annoying getting to where you want to be. The traversal of the land generally isn't very enjoyable or this likely wouldn't bother me much. At least it's pretty I guess? I dunno, it just feels too gamey, like they had to put in as many systems as possible. What good reason is there for me to have to hunt things to upgrade my stuff? BECAUSE VIDEO GAMES. What's wrong with spending money on that?

I'm done with shovel knight. Eh, it's alright, not anything astounding like people made it out to be. I suspect it's a little nostalgia buoying it up, even if it's not, it's just not for me. I find it way too frustrating.

I really liked the idea of breaking check points for more cash, but there's barely anything to spend the cash on, making it pointless to me.

I'm about at the same spot as you on that game. I think it's good within the context of what it's trying to achieve, but I also didn't run out and lose my mind over the recent Mega Man revivals for a similar reason.

It's funny because I enjoyed it specifically due to lacking nostalgia. I'd never really played that style of game so it didn't feel too samey to me.

I think it's a great game, and would be even if it was 2.5D or whatever and didn't have that NES nostalgia factor. It's just really good.