Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Umm apparently I spent 9.8 hours playing the game according to Steam but I don't know how long it took to beat it just the once. Second one was definitely a speedrun thing.

Both my wife and I played through it, and I'm pretty sure neither of us spent more than 6 or 7 hours on it.  I said this (to Twig, actually), that I found it to be a very pleasant palate cleanser between other, more challenging games. 

I really quite enjoyed it, I think likely for the charm it brought.  A game being charming or endearing is a quality that I really appreciate it, when it can just make me smile.  That said, I don't think there's much else about it that elevates it above many other games that could serve that palate cleanser role.  It was good enough to get me interested in the team's other games, like the upcoming

Steamworld Dig never clicked with me either.  I don't think its bad, but I found almost nothing about it interesting.  The style didn't grab me and the gameplay was stuff I'd seen before.  The only reason I beat the game was because I bought it before a long plane ride and didn't have anything else to do.

South Park: Stick of Truth. Haven't liked South Park since high school (around the early aughts), so I'm not surprised that I didn't want to play more after 3hrs of it.

I stopped Far cry 4 like 20 hours in as I was just playing it like a glorified check list.

Started dragon age which I'd been saving for this Christmas break, I'm 12 hours in... This is not the game for me :-/ I prefered the lore in witcher 2 as everything I was reading was about or related to characters alive in the game world, dragon age has me constantly reading about practically irrelevant history all the time. The fighting is threadbare. Load of old wank.

"The dwarf merchant guild was created..."

sigh.gif

Seems like the game genres I actually enjoy are dwindling by the week. Give me something that requires a semblance of skill or strategy, GIVE ME A FUCKING PUZZLE.

So i'm quitting both of them today and starting metriod prime 3. I'm excited! I'm going to have some cornflakes first

I just realised I haven't played Shadow of Mordor in a few weeks, so I guess I'm done with that. I was pretty pumped when I got to the second map, was really looking forward to messing around with all the mind control stuff, but I guess it didn't really grab me? I think I just found it too easy after a point. The head of Monolith shows up in Gamespot's GOTY video (spoilers) and actually confirms my feelings on it: the testers who were the most competent with the combat also found the nemesis system the least engaging, because it needs failure and conflict to feel real. Guess I played too much Arkham...

Picross E5 just came out on 3DS...

I really liked the 2D picross, the 3D game didn't grab me in the same way. Oh and I haven't got a 3DS :-)

Have you tried DK tropical freeze? I'm going to pick that up after I finish Bayonetta 2. What about SSB? Such a high skill ceiling on that, although I feel like level 9 enemies are cheating.

2015 is looking like a good year for skill based games. Bloodborne (and DS2 rerelease), Hotline Miami 2 and Splatoon out in Q1.

I really liked the 2D picross, the 3D game didn't grab me in the same way. Oh and I haven't got a 3DS :-)

The Picross E series is a bunch of bite-sized 2D picross games, $6 each with about 200 puzzles apiece. E5 means it's the fifth one, but it is pretty much exactly the old 2D Picross from Picross DS, just a new batch of puzzles every few months on a drip feed. Seriously, everyone should be into Picross.

I just realised I haven't played Shadow of Mordor in a few weeks, so I guess I'm done with that. I was pretty pumped when I got to the second map, was really looking forward to messing around with all the mind control stuff, but I guess it didn't really grab me? I think I just found it too easy after a point. The head of Monolith shows up in Gamespot's GOTY video (spoilers) and actually confirms my feelings on it: the testers who were the most competent with the combat also found the nemesis system the least engaging, because it needs failure and conflict to feel real. Guess I played too much Arkham...

I know what you mean. I got more fun out of it by sitting and hitting "Advance Time" until the nemesis chart was full again each time I started playing, but it's still a pretty easy game.

I had the same thoughts about Mordor.  I can see where the Nemesis system could make things interesting and I think there's potential in it, but when I was actually playing the game none of the strengths/weaknesses really had a significant impact on my encounters.  Short of making them immune to everything or purposely limiting myself in some way, it was never hard for me and as a result the encounters never became memorable.

The mordor thread basically reads the same. Those of us who have either never played a bat man game, or suck at them, really liked mordor. Those that knew the combat well found mordor boring. Makes sense! I had some crazy fun battles were captains would barge in and ruin my day, then berate me about how I ran away like a coward the last time we met.

The system is great, they just need a better game.

I don't usually make a conscious choice to quit a game, so i don't usually end up posting in this thread with my own additions to the conversation, but here's two:

Valkyria Chronicles - I got to the boss battle with the giant tank that sort of upends all the mechanics on you and just... Eghhh... I liked the game i thought i was playing, but suddenly being dumped into a ridiculous boss battle just sucked all my enthusiasm for the game away.

Rogue Legacy - I've been ignoring this game for a long time, but it kinda seemed like something i really needed to play... And... I don't think it's a very good game. At all. I think it's ugly, i think the level design is bad, i think the boss fights are awful, i think the control is awful, the hitboxes are incredibly ambiguous, the classes seem wildly unbalanced, and it seems like it enforces a very lengthy grind before you can really realistically achieve anything. I ended up sinking like seven hours into it, just because it's so good at dangling that carrot, tricking you into grinding for more character progress, i had to make that conscious choice to stop even though it just made me miserable playing it. A castlevania-influenced roguelite should be better than this. Why does everybody love this game so damn much? I usually don't feel this at odds with public opinion.

I was quite disappointed with it as well, for all of the reasons you gave. I did actually finish it though, but I attribute my success more to grinding away at it (and luck) than any skill.

One of the things that bummed me out most was unlocking this badass dragon class, only to find that it was both slow and weak. Booooo

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is probably abandoned. While I can see that a lot of the individual bits and bobs are really nicely put together and Saurons Army/Nemesis (Or whatever it was called) was a mechanic I quite liked, the game as a whole has not been able to grab me.

I guess I've just now reached the half-way point as I got into the grassy bit and met a dwarven hunter, and I've kept hearing that this is when it gets really good. Not sure if I'll be able to keep on though. 

Rogue Legacy - I've been ignoring this game for a long time, but it kinda seemed like something i really needed to play... And... I don't think it's a very good game. At all. I think it's ugly, i think the level design is bad, i think the boss fights are awful, i think the control is awful, the hitboxes are incredibly ambiguous, the classes seem wildly unbalanced, and it seems like it enforces a very lengthy grind before you can really realistically achieve anything. I ended up sinking like seven hours into it, just because it's so good at dangling that carrot, tricking you into grinding for more character progress, i had to make that conscious choice to stop even though it just made me miserable playing it. A castlevania-influenced roguelite should be better than this. Why does everybody love this game so damn much? I usually don't feel this at odds with public opinion.

I haven't played Rogue Legacy, but I've heard a lot of these same complaints elsewhere.

I haven't played Rogue Legacy in ages, but I really got into it, it's not really grinding, with each successful run, you get money, true, but also the skill needed to survive in the castle. Enemies I used to fear are a cakewalk now, not because I leveled up, but because I've fought them many times before.

Anyway, I quit nearly ALL the games I didn't own already from the Eye Candy Humble Bunlde 2:

Eidolon: A survival game, I guess I spent ages walking through a forest picking mushrooms and tinder, I got so bored I decided to just climb a mountain and jump, but then I saw a watch tower, which was empty and from which I couldn't see anything interesting....

I jumped and... didn't die? At night a wolf attacked me (A wolf I never saw) and I was even more lost and gave up.

Blue Flamingo: A very so-so shooter, it's style it's eye catching, but it's not even the prettiest shootem up out there.

Lovely Planet: I haven't actually quit this one, but it seems likely. It's ridiculously low poly and I don't see why this was even in the list? I told myself if the game didn't get better after level 20, I'd quit and I reached a "new" world, which looks the same? I might play a little more, but I don't see the point.

I really hope FRACT OST is actually worth it, because if not, I wasted my money on this Humble Bundle.

Well, I know I'm late to the party, but I'm not the only one, so I'll share, as well as I can remember.  These are only games that I intentionally quit, not ones that I got distracted from or didn't have time for and never went back to, or tried and decided not to continue.

Opoona - (Hey, don't judge me.) Cute design, tolerable story, decent gameplay (mostly), but the challenge of increasingly compulsory minigames came from sloppy controls and random chance.

Mario Galaxy - I love this game so much, I spent hours just playing the first level over and over, both to collect the little candy bits (I forget the official term) but also because the music and design make it a wonderful place to visit.  But between gravity mazes and "hurry or die" levels, the frustration got to be too much.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Ragequit at the wagon chase.

Okami - Possibly my deepest regret.  I just couldn't get the hang of the battles that take place inside the force-field enclosed areas, partly because of the Wii controls. Also, I'm just not that good at (or patient with) Zelda-style item hunts.  I might try again now that I'm generally healthier than I was at the time and my twitchy-game skill might be better.

On the upside, this game helped me come (finally) to the realization that most game guides you find online are written with the assumption that you already know how to do everything, not for players who are extra-stupid thanks to weariness, frustration and having other things to do. Then it made way more sense when (for example) a walkthrough for Riven: Sequel to Myst will say "Now, go start the stone rings puzzle" followed immediately with "Once you've solved the stone rings puzzle, move on to--"

Xenosaga - I tried, I really did. I had fallen in love with KOS-MOS before I even started playing, and my partner actually liked the game as much as I did.  But as much as I enjoy JRPG level-grinding (sincerely; it's relaxing for me), the three-count wait before anything happens in battles was conspicuous even to me, and after some time with a stop-watch and calculator, I decided that I would never need to relax that much.

Eidolon: A survival game, I guess I spent ages walking through a forest picking mushrooms and tinder, I got so bored I decided to just climb a mountain and jump, but then I saw a watch tower, which was empty and from which I couldn't see anything interesting....

I jumped and... didn't die? At night a wolf attacked me (A wolf I never saw) and I was even more lost and gave up.

I walked around for about 90 minutes. I found the same watch tower when I found binoculars. With them I found 2 more lights near a lake which gave me a compass and map. A little bit further I found a fishing rod and eventually a bow and arrow. On the map "bellvue" or something was marked and I walked into that direction, finding various pieces of paper. Eventually I got close to bellvue which was a "city" like location. Instead of trees a lot of metal girders. Eventually I figured out that on those story pieces you could click on a label below it which resulted in a will-o-wisp showing you the next direction of a piece of story about that label. But that got bored too, so I quit after those 90 minutes. I did not know you could get attacked, or even die. I jumped from the watchtower and got injured, but that went away over time.

Jesus, Original Sin, what did I get myself into. This is just taking too much time, every elementary thing you want to do takes eternity. Maybe I'll actually abandon the project. As soon as I get back to work, there'll be no time for it anymore anyway...

I got Ancient Space because sci-fi space RTS. I'm a sucker for sci-fi and space and willing to forgive quite a bit of junk if it's decent sci-fi. While it has some redeeming qualities like the tech tree and nice graphics and voice talent it is rather simple tactically and claustrophobic. It advertises itself as story driven but the story is nonexistent. 

It's also very difficult. I'm on mission 5 of 23 and about 10 hours in. I've had to rollback saves multiple times because the missions are trial and error and scripted events often blindside you. Right now I'm stuck after 'finishing' the objectives and then out of nowhere needing to defend arbitrary structures of no significance up until then. I feel like I'd need to replay the mission to prepare my fleet for that event and I can't be bothered. Sins of a Solar Empire here I come.

Oh, so you're willing to make a mess, but not willing to clean it up?

I'm thinking of quitting Deadfall Adventures, I was expecting a dumb "Indy/Tomb Raider" ripoff, except... it's not dumb, just incredibly generic. The combat is annoying, the collecting and upgrading doesn't look like it's worth it... It's just too mediocre, not bad in a funny way and not interesting, it's just... there?