Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Has anybody played "Always Sometimes Monsters"? I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother with this game.

It's like those "morality" games, but instead of being "punch a nun or give her a hug", it's "steal from a nun or sleep on the streets", which isn't much better. It's rather obvious that the "righteous road" will be rocky and evil road easy, nothing feels grey but the game feels like it thinks it is.

It's been pretty high on my list to play, I thought it looked interesting. 

Wow, it's getting even more painful as I play on, I'm almost playing because it's getting so bad it's hilarious now.

the game is forcing me to make the books (which I never wrote, which is why I had to sleep on the streets) into pulp to make some money back.

EDIT: It's officially reached the so bad it's hilarious zone now.

King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame - I tried to love this game, in fact there was several elements which I found amazing, like: manage the Knights of the Round Table, the Choose your Adventure style of quest. But, between the bizarre camera controls, annoying quest which trigger by just walking around (often put you in a impossible situation), quest that don´t really explain whats happen next (the moment I quit was after winning a near impossbile battle to save Guinevere, only to the game tell me that two other kingdoms declared war on me without giving me any time to recover as aftermatch of the said quest I was doing), bizarre battlefields (remember the quest I just told, I had to fought a army in a strange battle field that had really step hill and mountains and lots of wood that no sane army would fight, also made the bad camera controls even worst, most of the battle I had no idea what is going on). Another issue, in different front I had an army facing a enemy at every few turns, but because the way reinforcements work I never able to push foward so I could only repeat the same battle on the same battefield, over and over again.

By least, while unit design is quite good, I like high fantasy themes, but the issue here is, that the game unit design is also really confusing, everything is claded in plate armor in a way that is almost impossible to tell which each unit is from afar (to see if a unit is good or bad, you most time have to check the status everytime) and when they clash they just become a mass of "metal" swinging blows without hitting anything, but still causing people to fall dead. Compare this to some Total War games, where unit desing is clear, you can see the motion capture used working and following the battle by just watching it is fun (especially on Shogun 2, bit less on Rome 2). I forget one thing! you can put a Knight of the Round Table inside a unit, they even have unique visuals, but due everything begin huge and plate armor clad, most of time you cannot even see the Knight inside the unit.

Edited by Valorian Endymion

It could be entirely due to series fatigue as I played three of them in less than a year, but I couldn't really get into The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD.  I got it for free as part of the Mario Kart 8 promotion and I just got around to playing it over the last two months.  Perhaps it's because I got it for free that I wasn't as invested in it, but despite a wonderful design, I just couldn't get into it.  Over the past year, I played and beat A Link Between Worlds, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time 3D.  I enjoyed them all thoroughly, and while I found that WW had great humour and a glorious art style, I think I was just burnt out on that particular type of game.  I went back to playing Metroid Prime and I haven't looked back.

King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame - I tried to love this game, in fact there was several elements which I found amazing, like: manage the Knights of the Round Table, the Choose your Adventure style of quest. But, between the bizarre camera controls, annoying quest which trigger by just walking around (often put you in a impossible situation), quest that don´t really explain whats happen next (the moment I quit was after winning a near impossbile battle to save Guinevere, only to the game tell me that two other kingomds declared war on me without giving me any time to recover as aftermatch of the said quest I was doing), bizarre battlefields (remember the quest I just told, I had to fought a army in a strange battle field that had really step hill and mountains and lots of wood that no sane army would fight, also made the bad camera controls even worst, most of the battle I had no idea what is going on). Another issue, in another front I had an army facing a enemy at every few turns, but because the way reinforcements work I never able to push foward so I could only repeat the same battle on the same battefield, over and over again.

By least, while unit design is quite good, I like high fantasy themes, but the isssue here is, that the game unit design is also really confusing, everything is claded in plate armor in a way that is almost impossible to tell which each unit is from afar (to see if a unit is good or bad, you most time have to check the status everytime) and when they clash they just become a mass of "metal" swinging blows without hitting anything, but still causing people to fall dead. Compare this to some Total War games, where unit desing is clear, you can see the motion capture used working and following the battle by just watching it is fun (especially on Shogun 2, bit less on Rome 2). I forget one thing! you can put a Knight of the Round Table inside a unit, they even have unique visuals, but due everything begin huge and plate armor clad, most of time you cannot even see the Knight inside the unit.

I've started playing this a couple of times but never got more than an hour in. I guess I'm glad?

It could be entirely due to series fatigue as I played three of them in less than a year, but I couldn't really get into The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD.  I got it for free as part of the Mario Kart 8 promotion and I just got around to playing it over the last two months.  Perhaps it's because I got it for free that I wasn't as invested in it, but despite a wonderful design, I just couldn't get into it.  Over the past year, I played and beat A Link Between Worlds, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time 3D.  I enjoyed them all thoroughly, and while I found that WW had great humour and a glorious art style, I think I was just burnt out on that particular type of game.  I went back to playing Metroid Prime and I haven't looked back.

I had a similar experience with A Link to the Past. I was on a mission to get through all the Zeldas I hadn't played and ended up doing Spirit Tracks, The Adventure of Link and Link to the Past back to back. I completed the lot but was running only on OCD fumes by the end. Stupid of me, but I wanted to be ready for Link Between Worlds. After not really enjoying The Citizen Kane Of Zelda GamesTM I realised I should give it a rest. After a year's break I'm really looking forward to Link Between Worlds next week on a couple of train journeys and flights, and then Majora's Mask next year.

I also have the Prime Trilogy disc sitting on the shelf but I can't quite bring myself to plough through all 3 games.

I've started playing this a couple of times but never got more than an hour in. I guess I'm glad?

You might be...or you can give a try, sometime I wonder if I should try again...

On the subject - another game which remebered I quit - XIII Century: Death or Glory - For those which don´t know, this a clone of the Total War series, but without the grand campaign, only historical battles and random battle.

Overall is not a bad game, but... first the main issue is that almost all historical battle are in fact some bad "puzzle battles" its all about you figure the only way to win. Which sometimes is too obvious, like a huge, highly unnatural mountain pass which you must go and the enemy won´t react as your forces move to their flanks or almost require you to mind read what the developers thought, like one battle (between France and England) which you, as France, is only given cavalry and some poor quality infantry without single archer, while the English forces block all river passes with pikeman and archers. They won´t move away and nor your infantary can break them, is almost like they want you to charge your knights in counter intuitive way .... unless there was a river pass unguarded which I could not find (which might introduce the pixel hunting in a total war style game).

Also this game is really confusing with titles (but more of this later) - because there is also XIII Blood over Europe (sold both as individual game or in the gold edition), which introduced a campaign focused on the Alexander Nevsky vs Teutonic Knights, still is all battle after battle - but while the first one is fun, is just you leading some horse archers against a few cavalry and infantry units, the second battle...oh boy....for start is not bad, first you charge to rescue a village from some Livonian Knights (I believe), but soon enemy reinforcement arrive, but they just appear and keep standing in a very strange place.

And then here comes another problem, the game love to abuse on how much upgrades enemy units have, the pattern is the first enemy have no upgrade at all, while the second wave often have way too much upgrades, making your archers, which by default can´t kill or hit anything and even your crossbowmen, which are too powerful, useless. While they stand there, you can´t do much, your archers can´t hit them even if they stand still, I mean if your archers still have some arrows, and none of your units can truly face them.

By last there is a battle, not in this campaign, where you lead some Holy Roman Empire against the Italin city states (If memory didnt fail me), first you fight a melee, which is fun and quite easy, during which you might be tempted to use your crossbowman to soften enemy ranks to avoid casualities. Only to to figure later you need to attack their enemy camp, which a series of corridors blocked by pikeman with lots of upgrades and there is not way to flank them, only throwing one by one of your units against them.

Fun fact: there is two another games by the same developer:  Real Warfare 1242 and Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusaders - I don´t have them, I think they add a grand campaign mode, but the engine appear to be the same. I couldn´t avoid to think that "Real Warfare" is a sounds weird name...It appear something from Call of Duty or Battlefield.

I'm thinking of quitting Killer is Dead, not only do I hate the main character who is pervert, and this is from the guy who will defend Space Dandy and has played Eroge. You HAVE to play a sexist "stare at a women's bodies" mini-game to unlock weapons. It feels like No More Heroes only the hero is not a loser pervert, but a "winner pervert". 

When you're character is basically the Ice King, thinking every lady loves him and you fail at everything, it can be endearing, but when he doesn't, he's just a horrible person.

I might be able to overlook the main character, if the story was any good or the combat was fun, but the story is weird for weirdness sake and at the same time predictable. The combat is getting stale, the enemies are always the same and once you get the hang of them, there is just no point.

Bah, I'm done with 80 Days. Three times now I've been planning a route, negotiated a reduced price for passage somewhere, paid and then when I return in 2/3 days time it says I can't afford the fare, despite my money having been taken! Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I think the UI could be a little clearer. I'm in Port-au-Prince, day 96ish, penniless.

Last Window is a visual novel game where the novel is terrible. It takes hours for the story to get beyond minor domestic disputes with bland characters, and it's way too wordy, to the point where I expect the translation wasn't edited at all.

This is an actual paraphrased exchange:

*buzzer*

"Hi, Kyle, what can I do for you?"

"I need to ask you something."

"Okay, well you'd better come in."

*scene transition*

"What was your question?"

"I need to borrow something."

"What do you want to borrow?"

"A hammer."

I still haven't played The Walking Dead yet. Most of the reviews of this game appear to have been largely positive because 2010 was a lean year for adventure games and people would take what they could get, but this simply doesn't hold up compared to what's come out a few short years later. I'm not wasting any more time with this.

Yes, sounds like a typical drawn out Visual Novel type conversation to me.

I still have to play a great Visual Novel. Well, one that isn't from Christine Love. I guess I mean a great Japanese Visual Novel. I've given up hope of ever finding one, though. There are too many ingrained genre conventions that I absolutely can't stand. I guess Snatcher was somewhat good, but I hated that you had to arbitrarily exhaust all options, some of them multiple times, before the story progressed onwards. YU-NO suffered from the same bullshit, but to a larger degree. Also in terms of sexism. And much more.

Anyway, I would love a recommendation for a great Japanese Visual Novel on the PC.

Oh, well 999 and Virtue's Last Rewa--

on the PC

oh

The DS emulator is pretty good?

Though also I'm not sure if those qualify as good on those terms, cause there's still a lot of unnecessary waffle in their speech even if the plot and characters are actually good.

Bah, I'm done with 80 Days. Three times now I've been planning a route, negotiated a reduced price for passage somewhere, paid and then when I return in 2/3 days time it says I can't afford the fare, despite my money having been taken! Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I think the UI could be a little clearer. I'm in Port-au-Prince, day 96ish, penniless.

The negotiations are, as far as I have seen, never for a reduced price; they're always an "expedite fee" of some kind to be able to depart sooner. So if you go broke paying to leave early you may not be able to afford the ticket anymore.

Shit. So it's not some last minute deal I've managed to charm out of them - it's an alteration fee plus the original ticket price. The game doesn't communicate that very well.

Or I'm just an idiot.

No, that should have been communicated better. To idiots.

I've been slogging through Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2 for days and I wonder if I should bother continuing. It has dreadful stealth section and it seems to have more cutscenes than fights. 

The game seems like a mess, I spend more time in an evil pharmaceutical complex than in a castle and it almost feels more like a Resident Evil than anything else.

The worst part is that I can only seem to play it for a short while before wanting to give up, I've only reached where I am by playing a bit daily. Does it ever pick up the pace or get better?

Second time trying to get through Alice: Madness Returns and I quit at almost the exact same point I did last time. I re-realized how bad the checkpointing was in the game and did not want to deal with it. I can handle the mediocre gameplay for a chance to see cool sights, but making me play sections over again is just too much.

Thinking of starting up Kingdom of Amalur again...

I had tried to get back into hearthstone again this week because of the new expansion coming out. Things went better yesterday than they had in the past, I made a meager deck that won like 5 out of 7 games I played. Tried some arena today and some guy added me after my first game to tell me in broken english that I was bad and then deleted me from his friends list.

So I uninstalled the game.

Fuck it.

I had tried to get back into hearthstone again this week because of the new expansion coming out. Things went better yesterday than they had in the past, I made a meager deck that won like 5 out of 7 games I played. Tried some arena today and some guy added me after my first game to tell me in broken english that I was bad and then deleted me from his friends list.

Fuck it.

Damn that sounds rough. I've only been added after a match twice and both times my opponent just wanted to commend me on my interesting and unique deck. I suppose you can't get new cards just by playing with friends but I have a lot more fun playing with friends than anything else (I still play ranked and arena often though).

Also, I too quit playing Alice: Madness Returns halfway. The platforming wasn't nearly as tight as a game like that should be and the combat was also rather lacklustre. It had interesting settings and I loved the atmosphere though. The story didn't quite grip me either. Usually I am forgiving of a game with bad mechanics if at least the story is interesting.

Fuck it.

I enjoyed Hearthstone quite a bit but I ditched it because I was totally uninterested in building decks and it seemed like any loss I had involved getting totally stomped.

I would love a mode that's almost a puzzle game, in that decks are prescribed but unknown so you can only make plays and judgements based on your current hand, the cards that are down and your knowledge of the general tactics of the game.

I think the biggest problem I had with hearthstone was that winning was so great, but losing felt horrible. When the win ratio is 50:50, that's cool. You feel fine, but as soon as it started to dip below that, I just straight up hated it.

Oh and not being able to pause PvE games sucked.

Quitting SteamWorld Dig.

Seemed like a harmless, mindless grindy platformer with a nice level of visual polish.  Maybe a 1/4 of the game is going up and down tunnels that I've dug, so traversal mechanics need to be pretty good!  The feel of the jumping is off - a bit too short so he feels incapable.  And the wall climb jump looks and feels off, too.  It's just not satisfying.

There's a good amount of visual polish, but it's not my cup of aesthetic tea, so it already had that going against it.  Seems like a competent game, though.  Mileage may vary!

I was really questioning the collective conscious regarding SteamWorld Dig when I was first getting into it. Didn't understand the love at all. Pretty much all of your complaints, too!

And then at some point it just clicked with me. No, I don't know what it was, but I do know I beat the game twice in succession, which I don't often do unless I love a game.

I was really questioning the collective conscious regarding SteamWorld Dig when I was first getting into it. Didn't understand the love at all. Pretty much all of your complaints, too!

And then at some point it just clicked with me. No, I don't know what it was, but I do know I beat the game twice in succession, which I don't often do unless I love a game.

Is it short?  Just got the drill.  Might be worth pushing ahead if it's a late-clicker.