Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Bayonetta. I wasn't sure I would like this having had a spotty record with Platinum (Vanquish is the only one I've loved) and once my tactic of pressing ZR at the last second then mashing the merry shite out of X and A started to fail me then I decided to call it a day. The story was garbage, the setting unappealing, I was crap at the combat and I have a ton of great games I could be playing instead. Glad I got it in that Amazon misprice, I've sold it on for what I paid without any bother.

That said I've moved onto Skyward Sword which is probably the most divisive Zelda game as I understand it so I might be back here in a few days saying exactly the same thing.

EDIT: Also how has Mass Effect come up twice without anyone mentioning the race of non gendered bisexual blue ladies that will literally mate with any species of any gender to "gather useful genes from any source."

I love Mass Effect but the creativity behind the characters is the worst.

Did they ever give an actual application of "gathering useful genes"? I really would've been more cool with an Asari walking around with an insane Krogan physique or Hanar mind powers. Instead I guess they settled on "sexy human lady" as their genetic makeup of choice.

Did they ever give an actual application of "gathering useful genes"? I really would've been more cool with an Asari walking around with an insane Krogan physique or Hanar mind powers. Instead I guess they settled on "sexy human lady" as their genetic makeup of choice.

This is discussed in our Baby Got Backstory thread, but they only APPEAR as sexy human ladies to humans. They appear as sexy krogan ladies to krogans.

This is discussed in our Baby Got Backstory thread, but they only APPEAR as sexy human ladies to humans. They appear as sexy krogan ladies to krogans.

Is this given the attention it deserves in the third game? Why aren't all the other species in the galaxy incredibly freaked out by a secretive race of long-lived sexual chameleons that harvest genetic traits and possess powerful psychic powers?

Why aren't all the other species in the galaxy incredibly freaked out by a secretive race of long-lived sexual chameleons that harvest genetic traits and possess powerful psychic powers?

Because they're hot...

That's interesting though: So would an Asari appear as a hot lady to a straight dude and a gay woman, whilst simultaneously appear as a buff man-hunk to gay men and straight ladies? 

It's not possible to say for definite based on the game, since any Femshep that does the nasty with an Asari could be gay, and seeing the hot lady version of the Asari. 

The game is implying that they're receiving genetic material.   :naughty:

Of course that ignores gay male sexuality and means that appearing sexually attractive to any female is redundant yet in my first interaction with an Asari in ME1 I accidentally got her to sleep with my femshep. (I was saying I expected more of a reward for something I did and it turns out that didn't just mean some sweet equipment)

Also just in case Griddelol or anyone else is unsure, they never appear as males. Just as women.

The game is implying that they're receiving genetic material.   :naughty:

Of course that ignores gay male sexuality and means that appearing sexually attractive to any female is redundant yet in my first interaction with an Asari in ME1 I accidentally got her to sleep with my femshep. (I was saying I expected more of a reward for something I did and it turns out that didn't just mean some sweet equipment)

The amount of times you can accidentally sex people in bioware/'mature' rpg's in general.. I mean even when it's the recognised flirty option a bunch of the time it's just too much escalation or not consistent to the tone. Which is seriously annoying to me when I'm developing character relationships outside of what the game dialogue spits out. At least it can make for interesting dynamics when my PC and the sex partner become at odds.

OT: I quit Shadow of Mordor. It was fun sure. But I can never seem to develop relationships with my nemesis that are strong enough to continue; it also just sucks when someone you've built up is removed in an offscreen power struggle.

The mind control sounded neat But I already know I would be able to do it to everyone if I wanted to.

I had to give in on Alien: Isolation.  Had no issues with the humans, got the achievement for sneaking past all the androids during the alert without them seeing me, and aside from a few dozen deaths to figure out the mechanics I started to figure out the creature.  Is it just me or does this game feel like it's the rubber-banding of enemy types?  I swear the creature moves from behind me to in front of me without even doing a simple jump into the vents and migrate over with some sounds above.  I feel like it just spawns in the next area without so much as a care for the fact it was just hundreds of feet behind me sacking a room.  Spent 45 minutes rummaging hallways, locker rooms, and patient care rooms to get a badge and backtrack only to be taken out with the save point in sight.  Before anyone says it, yes I used a noisemaker to attract the creature and sent it down the opposite hallway that I wanted to go down but it chose to take a route down my hallway (it's like a "U" shaped area).  Given my free time and the, to me, broken nature of being chased by the creature I have to commend the aesthetics and art direction and bow out of this one.

I think I'll give up on Luigi's Mansion. It's a good game, but I just don't feel any reason to continue. It doesn't have a proper story, so no need to finish it for this reason, and I think I a already got all the cuteness and fun from the gameplay. In my opinion it could be way shorter.

I think I'll give up on Luigi's Mansion. It's a good game, but I just don't feel any reason to continue. It doesn't have a proper story, so no need to finish it for this reason, and I think I a already got all the cuteness and fun from the gameplay. In my opinion it could be way shorter.

I'm going to assume you're talking about the 3DS game Dark Moon, in which case I agree.  I never finished it either for the same reasons.  It started to feel like a real grind to get through all the levels so I stopped before the fun ended.

I'm going to assume the same, the original Luigi's Mansion is rather short, while the Dark Moon is way too long and has almost not diversity compared to the old game.

I'm going to assume you're talking about the 3DS game Dark Moon, in which case I agree. I never finished it either for the same reasons. It started to feel like a real grind to get through all the levels so I stopped before the fun ended.

Yep, I'm talking about dark moon, forgot to specify the game in the series.

I think it would be way better if you didn't need to revisit the same environments so much, sometimes the new "quest" is just to find an item that was in a room that you already was.

Hyrule Warriors. I kinda liked the game, it's pretty, it's got loads of cool Zelda stuff, the combat is...fulfilling. The main contributor to my quitting is that I lost a bunch of saved data because I'm dumb and didn't follow Nintendo's guidelines for an external HD. However, I realised that I was playing it in a pretty mindnumbing way. I'd have it on the tablet while I was watching TV, and just grind through levels. I kinda enjoyed it for that, but it wasn't engaging enough. 

I don't regret the purchase, and I might even start it up again (when I get a new HD), just for the play-while-watching part. It's also got a huge amount of content for what it is. Still, QUITTED. 

Given how much content there is in that game, I think it's only the real crazy people that will actually finish everything instead of just ducking out when they've had their fill.

It really kills me to say this, but I have quit a game I was about to recommend, BlackSouls, an old school survival horror game, it even has tank controls, although you and turn and aim with the mouse too. 

It had gotten the atmosphere and puzzles almost perfectly, for example, a drawing that looks like some silly children's drawing happened to be a solution for the puzzle, which was pretty delightful.

The games biggest detriment is the horrid combat, you start with nothing and soon get a crowbar, the combat animation is awkward and the zombies practically always kill you with one hit, the worse part is the slow death animation, the zombie lunges at your throat and munches on for what seems to be forever and you can't skip or quit. It's almost quicker to Alt+F4 and relauch the game than to wait until you can reload.

After a very tense moment in a basement I got a gun and have expect a zombie to appear. It did, when I was out of the basement, and that when I discovered the gun seemed to do LESS damage than the crowbar and died, after finally killing it I went outside and encounter way too many zombies to handle with this clunky combat and begrudgingly quit when the zombies obviously killed me.

I was playing Psychonauts but I think I'm out. I like the story and the levels, it has some really weird and fun slants on the design.

But it is crammed with too much gamey nonsense. The first time I played I was put off by the fact that it suckered me into being a collector and in an entirely unfun way I was just trying to get all the things from each area.

This time round I made sure to ignore that and just enjoy the main sequence of levels... only to discover that suddenly in one level it assumes I have a cobweb duster and for NO reason blocks a door to me unless I have one. I could go farm money (and I'm aware of the dousing rod, but even that way doesn't seem worth the 600 arrowheads I need to collect) but honestly it's not worth it to me. I'm not slogging through a period of that when I have other games to play.

That is pricelessly the place, yeah. I got into the post office and the only way forward was blocked by a web. (also didn't help that I found the costume gathering tedious before that part cause I wandered for ages not thinking to bust open the cars)

He's saying he got stuck IN that stage. Because he doesn't have an item you have to have arrowheads to buy.

To be honest, I'm extremely surprised you don't have enough arrowheads for it, even without actively trying to collect them. But hey whatever!

To be honest, I'm extremely surprised you don't have enough arrowheads for it, even without actively trying to collect them. But hey whatever!

Yeah, the dowsing rod was super cheap so I picked it up immediately and found hundreds of arrowheads within minutes just by messing around.

The Milkman Conspiracy was so good too. I can understand being frustrated by it when you get stuck trying to figure out how to get the next thing you need but I absolutely loved the classic adventure game aspect to that whole section.

I kinda actively tried not to search for collectibles, since that ruined the experience the first time round. And it didn't seem like I'd need them for anything so all I bought was a Psy core or two and then never really went back to the shop.

I've realised I quit Dark Souls 2 without meaning to. I don't even have a good reason why, I just lost interest after a while. It's a decent game, but I think I have two main issues with it.

1) I played it only a few months after beating Dark Souls (twice). I'd kinda had my fill of what is a better game.

2) How do you recapture the experience of Dark Souls? I loved it so much because I was experiencing a new world, a new game and it felt great. You can't do that twice. Made even harder by the design choices in 2 (returning to the "nexus" a la DeS, and less interesting environments - well that's not really a choice). 

So DS2 kinda flopped for me, not like the internet outrage "It's terrible! I'm angry now!" It just sort of faded from my interests, unlike DS1 which had me thinking about it 24/7.

I've realised I quit Dark Souls 2 without meaning to. I don't even have a good reason why, I just lost interest after a while. It's a decent game, but I think I have two main issues with it.

1) I played it only a few months after beating Dark Souls (twice). I'd kinda had my fill of what is a better game.

2) How do you recapture the experience of Dark Souls? I loved it so much because I was experiencing a new world, a new game and it felt great. You can't do that twice. Made even harder by the design choices in 2 (returning to the "nexus" a la DeS, and less interesting environments - well that's not really a choice). 

So DS2 kinda flopped for me, not like the internet outrage "It's terrible! I'm angry now!" It just sort of faded from my interests, unlike DS1 which had me thinking about it 24/7.

That's a familiar arc for me, too. I went straight from Dark Souls into the sequel and the proximity of the two allowed for some continuity. Then I had to stop, because I'd beaten the game twice and the DLC was still a month out, and I just never went back. Dark Souls was such a complete experience that I didn't really need any more Dark Souls 2 than I found myself playing at the moment, but I only saw that with some distance.

It's funny, because the DLC for the sequel is very high-quality and I saw that immediately from the little I played, but I'm much less invested in either character I have in Dark Souls 2, so I almost feel like I don't have an entry point to go back in. Also, it doesn't help that the limited humanity and soul memory features of Dark Souls 2 will punish me a lot more for picking the game up again than happened when I resumed my time with the first Dark Souls after a year's hiatus.