Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Considering to just drop KotOR for now, which surprises me a bit as I really like western RPG:s and did enjoy most of the Mass Effect trilogy. The intro was quite slow for me and I found Taris to be rather dull. I realize it was released in 2003, so I tried to keep that in perspective. It is quite remarkable how far narrative driven games have come on a technical level! I got a grasp of the RPG mechanics, though I'm not sure how well the turn based formula blended with the 3rd person perspective. It felt quite conflicting to me having played the original Fallout titles.

My biggest issue with the game is the writing itself. The main story feels typically evil vs good, "you are the chosen one" etc. Yeah I know, it is a Star Wars game after all. Playing this made me conclude that while I might like the Star Wars universe as a concept, I really despise the execution of it. Full of clichés and predictable plot twists. The writing was disappointing to me as well, characters are either just way to whiney or simply badly written. I have not found HK-47 yet though so I might be missing out its better moments. All in all I found myself skipping through most of the dialogue.

It mostly boils down to not having fun while playing it, and I find it hard to justify spending 40 hours on KOTOR for that reason. I'd rather spend that time on an RPG with better writing and more focused gameplay. Oh and Wasteland 2 is being released tomorrow!

You should play KotOR II instead :)

I've been notably on the Destiny/Hyrule Warriors kick lately, and I've dropped a *whole* bunch of other stuff in the process, and I... don't think I'll be picking most of it back up. I think I felt an obligation to dig through my PS+ backlog, and now I'm just not feeling it.

DmC Devil May Cry was great but ran its course after about 5 chapters. There was a lot of Cool Stuff, and it sure as heck felt like Devil May Cry despite all the whining I heard, but it suffers from "I have other things to play because I make money now," whereas the old DMC games came out at a time when "well this is my game for the month I guess."

Dragon's Crown and Muramasa: Rebirth both suffered the Vanillaware dilemma, wherein I just want them to be Odin Sphere. I made it through four dungeons in Dragon's Crown before realizing it would only be fun with four people and it's a game I was already playing in shame due to character design (I refused to buy it when it came out despite loving beat-em-ups, but if you give me something for free I will take it). I finished Momohime's quest in Muramasa and didn't feel like doing Kisuke's, and then promptly uninstalled.

Tune in next time when I actually go through my PS3 library and go "wow I never finished these? dang"

Man Odin Sphere is damn good. I often think it shouldn't be. But it is.

I tried real hard to get into Odin Sphere, imported it because I loooved the art style and then just bounced right off it. It's probably a difficulty curve thing but I couldn't get past the whole thing with growing plants and the bosses seemed unreasonably tough? I should check out a let's play just so I can stare at the pretty art some more.

I had to quit The Sun at Night, that metroidvania were you play as a cyborg Laika, the cosmonaut dog and I'm pretty sure was mentioned on the podcast a long time ago.

The game seems so unpolished, while it's interesting that you can convert items you don't need into nanites some are never used, like the shield refill, I've yet to use one in the whole game, which is the main problem of the game, nothing seems necessary.

None of the upgrades seem necessary, the only make the game even more of a cakewalk, I upgraded my main weapon and now I never need to use the other weapons. The levels are too big, empty, repetitive and confusing for me to bother to continue.

You know a game is doing something wrong when it's making cyborg bears with lasers boring.  :tdown:

I am giving up on Fallout: New Vegas.

It was dull.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

It's more fun if you decide to play psychopathically and make it your mission to wipe out as many settlements as you can, totally ignoring the intended stories and systems to focus on raw killing power.

I did that.

That's how I play Fallout generally. By the end I had a giant (gas-powered I guess?) flaming sword and would tromp around looking for stories in the wilderness. I would complete them, then murder everyone. I think my little character morality moniker thing was "Evil Incarnate" by the end. I am not really sure why, but I think that meta-motivation got me to take interest in keeping up the exploration. Found some real diamonds in the rough that way.

The weird guy with the plant in his head, and the monks that attended to him were incredible. The weird voice actor for the tree guy had me laughing to myself for like a day straight.

Dear Quitters Club,

I've been thinking of quitting Luftrausers.

(Million-page thread in one of the podcast episodes re: the aesthetics of the game aside) I kinda like this game, but feel like it's a bit too score-chasey.  A lot of the early upgrades feel more like side-grades.  Is it the case that there's a consistent feeling with all of the upgrades regarding the POWER of your plane?  Is there an upgrade progression ala Ridiculous Fishing, or is this trying to recreate more of an arcade experience where you're expected to pick your favorite build and just get actually skilled?

Dear Quitters Club,

(Million-page thread in one of the podcast episodes re: the aesthetics of the game aside) I kinda like this game, but feel like it's a bit too score-chasey.  A lot of the early upgrades feel more like side-grades.  Is it the case that there's a consistent feeling with all of the upgrades regarding the POWER of your plane?  Is there an upgrade progression ala Ridiculous Fishing, or is this trying to recreate more of an arcade experience where you're expected to pick your favorite build and just get actually skilled?

I believe the point is that there isn't one plane that is objectively better. Instead, the goal is finding the right parts that suit your playstyle.

Dear Quitters Club,

is there an end to Luftrausers? i thought it was just a leaderboard/score chasing arcade game with upgrades & small missions to unlock handful of options.  Quitting score-chasers doesnt feel like abandonment/quitting to me...just satisfaction with your high-score.

I actually loaded up and played a few rounds last night, but something about it was off and uninteresting - likely related to coming off a 4hr (and 4win!) dota night & starting hotline miami for the first time.  Anyways, i am probably going to put it down for a few weeks before i get the itch to move up the leaderboards (theres lots of room from 50kth place)

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls.

I've actually done the first four chapters which I understand is Diablo III basic but I'm not going to manage the extra content, this game is doing nothing for me at all and I've spent double figures in hours trying to work out what it is that's meant to be enjoyable about it exactly. If it wasn't such a good game to listen to podcasts to I'd never have got near this point. It's a bit like how I can play Street Fighter for a few hours here and there just as something for me to do with my hands and to keep my brain ticking over while it processes audio stimuli from somewhere else entirely. It's my own fault for buying it as it didn't look like my thing (I loathe the aesthetic, and if Borderlands taught me anything it's that lootemups are not my funtimes either) but everyone loves it don't they? And I wanted to buy a game for my PS4 and here we are. It's not for me. It should still hold enough trade in value for Smash Brothers so all is not lost.

It does better when playing it on high difficulties with friends. The few times I've gotten to play it that way, it was a blast. Otherwise, I get right where you're coming from.

I'm really not enjoying Hometown Story, I thought that since it was from the Harvest Moon series creator it would be like Harvest Moon with a new spin, and in many sense it is, but worse in every way.

They've taken away all the tools and with it all of the fun, all you can do is run a shop and go outside to talk to people and find almost no items to scavenge. Talking to people isn't much fun here since many of them of "normal" villagers that don't really have anything to say and only exist to shop at your store and the "important" people are very annoying to find, instead of staying in one place during most of the day, if the don't have a shop, they wander a lot, which is infuriating.

Since all you can do is shop and talk to people, the events are triggered by buying and selling very specific items... remember how I said you can't really scavenge in the game? You buy items from a merchant every day at the same hour and the items are random, so instead of cutting down wood to expand your store, you have to wait for the merchant to bring wood several times, since there is a limit to items you buy. The same goes for the key items you need to trigger events.

And while I'm very disappointed, I know I would never have believed this game was this boring without playing it for myself.  :tdown:

I can scarcely believe I'm saying this, but I'm quitting Mass Effect 3. It's just too fucking long, and I think that, with the reapers on my doorstep, there's just not much that can be done to surprise me anymore. The combat is good - really good - but it's not enough on its own to sustain the whole experience. 

I don't really care for the new characters. EDI is good fun, and I used her for most missions, but the others can go hang. Hell, I played for what must've been close to thirty hours and have seen a grand total of three new characters. Garrus is still Garrus, Liara is still boring me to death, and Kaidan? I should've put a bullet in his head when I had the chance (I didn't realise I actually did have the chance, and missed it, until I read about it on the wiki later on)

Anyway, the straw that broke the camel's back was trying to paint a target on a reaper, in what was presumably supposed to be a climactic moment (if the rousing music was anything to go by) but which basically meant strafing left and right and trying not to wiggle the mouse about too much. This came just 20 minutes after the incredibly tedious Geth VI section, where the versatile and kinetic combat system is reduced to hunting for static, glowing blocks in a featureless maze of non-glowing blocks, so I just quit in bewilderment at the whole thing.

I don't suppose I'll ever get to see what the furore was about the ending, but judging from the rest of what I played, I likely wouldn't have given a toss

Alan Wake (PC)
I like the opening to the game, but I would have preferred a more story and character driven game than a shooter. I seem to keep running out of ammo and it's really frustrating. I want to like the game. I might give it another go. I don't think the game is impossible to beat, and I've played harder games. I shouldn't judge after just 2 chapters. Dilemma.

I don't suppose I'll ever get to see what the furore was about the ending, but judging from the rest of what I played, I likely wouldn't have given a toss

If you're not invested enough in the story to finish the game then the ending probably wouldn't have lived up to the "hype".

Alan Wake (PC)

I like the opening to the game, but I would have preferred a more story and character driven game than a shooter. I seem to keep running out of ammo and it's really frustrating. I want to like the game. I might give it another go. I don't think the game is impossible to beat, and I've played harder games. I shouldn't judge after just 2 chapters. Dilemma.

I had a very similar experience. The story belly-flops into the supernatural with no grace.  I spent one chapter conserving my ammo and not enjoying that, even finishing the level without using the shotgun. Next chapter, I decide to use my ammo and I run out, which means game over in Alan Wake. The game put me at a checkpoint where there just wasn't enough bullets to get through. 

Combat in Alan Wake is butt but after a while you get used to it and realize you really don't need to shoot every single dude and you get good at knowing which enemies take how many bullets (there's only a few variations) etc.

Not that I blame anyone for giving up. I played to the end of the first chapter (or mayb second?) and almost completely gave up. Came back a month later and picked up from there and then fell in love. I love that game. It sucks that the core gameplay is kindaaaa blah.

I can scarcely believe I'm saying this, but I'm quitting Mass Effect 3. It's just too fucking long, and I think that, with the reapers on my doorstep, there's just not much that can be done to surprise me anymore. The combat is good - really good - but it's not enough on its own to sustain the whole experience. 

I don't really care for the new characters. EDI is good fun, and I used her for most missions, but the others can go hang. Hell, I played for what must've been close to thirty hours and have seen a grand total of three new characters. Garrus is still Garrus, Liara is still boring me to death, and Kaidan? I should've put a bullet in his head when I had the chance (I didn't realise I actually did have the chance, and missed it, until I read about it on the wiki later on)

Anyway, the straw that broke the camel's back was trying to paint a target on a reaper, in what was presumably supposed to be a climactic moment (if the rousing music was anything to go by) but which basically meant strafing left and right and trying not to wiggle the mouse about too much. This came just 20 minutes after the incredibly tedious Geth VI section, where the versatile and kinetic combat system is reduced to hunting for static, glowing blocks in a featureless maze of non-glowing blocks, so I just quit in bewilderment at the whole thing.

If you're digging combat, try the multiplayer!  There's still a fair number of active players on PC, at least there were a month or two ago, last time we played. 

With regards to Alan Wake: It's not 100% always the case, but If the trees start looking all swimmy and weird and it doesn't seem like you're inside of a scripted boss/survival encounter, you should definitely just start running. Enemies will usually spawn infinitely under those circumstances, so if you're trying to stand your ground in those situations, that's why you're low on ammo all the time. In terms of survival horror, ammo isn't really that scarce in Alan Wake, aside from restrictive carry limits. If you keep your eyes open for supplies, you really shouldn't have any trouble.

It seems like Alan Wake has been fairly hit or miss with a lot of people, but for me it ended up being one of my favorite games of its year, so i'd personally encourage giving it another shot.

(Also, if you have a 360 pad handy, I think the game plays better on a gamepad. You can do things like half-press the left trigger to aim without wasting flashlight power, only fully pressing the trigger down when your flashlight is directly on top of an enemy. You can similarly half-press the right trigger to raise and aim your gun without firing and without going into the zoom and slow walk that the left trigger causes. Dodging attacks also seems to be easier on the gamepad for no particularly evident reason.)

EDI is good fun

Oh god, I hated it (I refuse to use the pronoun "her" for a robot). Ship A.I. comes out looking like a stripper. Didn't it even have high heels?!

If EDI was a floating shoulder robot like PSO, I'd have been content. If EDI was a giant battle droid, with a ton of machine guns and missiles, I'd have been happy.

Quit Mordor

What of it!?

I was 20+ hours in, had just gained the brand skill. It was all very samey ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i could've turned my brain off and ploughed though the rest of the game but i needed to free up some time for Bayonetta 2, so it's bye bye Talion.

The nemesis system was great but it didn't really blow my mind, perhaps its because i can still see the strings. Is doesn't seem like it's something that that's difficult to programme? I feel like this stuff should be in all open world games as standard. NPC randomly in the world or just going about there business, we've hand that before. NPC's remembering your actions, it's great that it's dynamic here and not a coin flip decision... i dont know, i think i just prefer an authored experience over an emergent systems based experience. (i think i'm in the wrong place :) )

The climbing was a bit annoying. The stories attached to the collectables were a bore, the main storey was a bore, the environment was a bore. meh

Archery was fucking cool!

I just wish the world and story were more interesting/surprising. i hope they blow the doors off for the sequel, i want to see orcs, human, elfs and dwarfs all active in the same world. Giant trees and spiders walking around. Make a proper sandbox, with huge battles, instead of having side quests of 'stop the Orc drinking grog', it should be 'help these one hundred elfs fend off 300 Orcs'. The game world should have territories, and the environments should change in regard to who holds the land. I think they need to hire some quality design staff as it all just looked a bit drab, do it right and this could kill off Assassin Creed