Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

After playing about a third of the game, I'm quitting Lego City Undercover (which I picked up mostly because my local library has started carrying Wii U games for some reason). The idea of a GTA-style open world game, all made of Lego and with a generally silly tone was really appealing to me at first. I sort of enjoyed the story, even if it was mostly a series of genre cliche send up. Too bad the driving didn't feel too good, and the load times were pretty frequent and far too long (and always accompanied by the same song!). Mostly I'm giving up on it for the way it gates story progress with collectibles. "Sorry, you're going to need 50,000 bricks to start this mission. I bet there are some hidden around here somewhere." I know games mostly made for kids don't generally worry about respecting a player's time, but that just seemed particularly obnoxious.

I've been shamed and loaded Majora's Mask up again, this thread has failed.

I've been shamed and loaded Majora's Mask up again, this thread has failed.

You don't quit until we say so.

I didn't mean to, but I'm quitting Divinity: Original Sin. I love this game. I've been enjoying the combat, the story is enjoyable enough, and the variety of quests to be found in the world is just great. I was 28 hours in, and then I lost my save due (since the game always says "Syncing" when I closed it, I assumed it was doing cloud saves through Steam, so I thought I could safely reinstall Windows without backing up my saves...I was wrong). So, rather than re-play 28 hours of (very good) RPG, I think I'm going to quit for now, and probably come back to the game at some point in the future. 

Ouch. Yeah I think I read the cloud saves were disabled because they were too big - uncompressed! They've since patched the save files to actually be a reasonable size, but I guess cloud support hasn't been reenabled by Valve?

I find myself constantly quitting ubisoft games lately. I could not bring myself to compete with the mission structure of assassin's creed four and watch dogs really made it hard to feel narratively motivated. I think the only reason I was able to finish far cry 3 was because i pretty much ignored the story once i realized it was pretty much failing itself. 

I dunno, i just think the design mentality behind Ubisoft studios is not for me. I don't get it. It never clicks. The design never makes sense to me. 

I don't even get the draw that the open world ubisoft games have. I find the Assassin's Creed games to be incredibly bland and uninspiring and Watch Dogs just looks like GTA without the fun (although I'm not really a fan of GTA anymore). Why are they so popular? These Ubisoft games are always so safe, they don't try to do anything exciting or new, they just make competent but rather boring games. I find it really hard to believe that people still buy the Assassin's Creed games! 

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 and 3, albeit for different reasons. I think the only reason I finished Far Cry 3 was because it's the best AAA style game Ubisoft have made for a while. The story is garbage, but the game play and interactive systems were fun. I used it as a playground with guns, and that was enjoyable. 

The ubisoft game I have enjoyed the most in recent memory is probably ZombiU. However I don't really know if that is "AAA style" it feels more like a middle of the road developer made it rather than ubisoft. They actually tried something new, made a decent game in the process. 

I find the Assassin's Creed games to be incredibly bland and uninspiring and Watch Dogs just looks like GTA without the fun (although I'm not really a fan of GTA anymore).

I'm with you. Honestly what I get from all of these games (and what GTA facilitates the best) is a really amazing environment to explore and exist in. I find more and more this is the best kind of experience i can get out of AAA games: a good ambience and atmosphere that i can explore that can feel completely fulfilling outside of the context of the narrative.

The ubisoft game I have enjoyed the most in recent memory is probably ZombiU. However I don't really know if that is "AAA style" it feels more like a middle of the road developer made it rather than ubisoft. They actually tried something new, made a decent game in the process. 

Yeah. I wanted more of an emphasis on ZombieU's narrative, but I'd go with you and agree that it's honestly more "interesting" than AC or Watch Dogs or FC3/4. seriously, it felt like uncharted design territory at points, even for how rote its aesthetic feels 

edit: thinking about it, i realized i quit zombieU probably less than halfway through, lol. But honestly i don't think that's an indication of quality. i try not to base my opinion on a game from how compelled i am to consume it.

I find it really hard to believe that people still buy the Assassin's Creed games!

This is incredibly anecdotal, but I have several friends and acquaintances still really engaged with the Assassin's Creed series, and all of them are that way almost entirely because they like the abstract idea of being a historical assassin and believe that Ubisoft will get it right eventually if they keep buying games. Often, when I ask them about the Hitman series, they express surprise, because they thought Assassin's Creed was the only game in town.

edit: thinking about it, i realized i quit zombieU probably less than halfway through, lol. But honestly i don't think that's an indication of quality. i try not to base my opinion on a game from how compelled i am to consume it.

Interesting you said you "quit" because technically by what I take to be your definition, I quit it too. However I don't really consider high score based games "quittable" because there's always a chance I'll pick it up in a years time and play a bit. It's sort of like Don't Starve or Luftrausers for me. Survive as long as you can and get the high score, which are the kinda games I like to play in short bursts, rather than play through to completion. 

To add to your anecdote, I actually saw someone wearing Assassin's Creed based clothing. I couldn't believe that someone could be such a big fan of such a mediocre to bad set of games. I've seen Mass Effect clothing, and I understand how people can love those games so much, but AC? Really? I feel like they've become like COD or FIFA/Madden, where people just buy them every year because they know what they're going to get, and they're never disappointed by an incompetent game.

The historical part to them always seemed a bit weird. There's some super natural stuff in there and the whole DNA memory thing, both of which to me kill the idea that it's an historical game. It's Scifi  science-fantasy dressed in a cloak. 

I do love how they manage to recreate the image of old cities, but they never manage to get the feel right, which admittedly is quite hard, probably because you can't smell them. 

I don't even get the draw that the open world ubisoft games have. I find the Assassin's Creed games to be incredibly bland and uninspiring and Watch Dogs just looks like GTA without the fun (although I'm not really a fan of GTA anymore). Why are they so popular? These Ubisoft games are always so safe, they don't try to do anything exciting or new, they just make competent but rather boring games. I find it really hard to believe that people still buy the Assassin's Creed games! 

Honestly, this describes almost all open world games to me.  Granted I haven't really played many recently (the last new one was probably Infamous or AC2 or Red Dead Redemption or something) but open world games just never really did it for me.  I almost never find the world at large to be interesting enough to keep me going past the first few hours and I'm not a big fan of the "go here and do a mission" type of thing.  The idea and possibility space intrigue me but I find very few execute it in a way that satisfies me.

To be honest I'm starting to feel that way too. The latest INfamous kept me interested, but only because it was really quite short. 

The most interesting "open world" game (not a fan of that distinction, what does it mean?) I've played in years is probably Proteus. that game distills the experience i enjoy at the core of these AAA open world titles. 

I quit Deadlight. It's okay most of the time and really completely awful some of the time. The controls are sluggish, intentionally so, but it does not work in the game's favor. It's like it's trying to be Limbo but also there's combat and zombies attacking you a lot and blech.

I quit Saints Row 3, something about the saints row games is very unstable and it keeps crashing. The game is fine, nothing special, so I don't really feel the need to keep playing despite the instability, like I do with Bethesda or STALKER games. I started playing Saints Row 4, which at least has some neat superpower game play, but it also crashed. We will see how long this lasts.

That's odd. Saints Row 3&4 are some of the best PC ports out there, and far better than the console versions (I'm assuming you're playing on PC). 

Heh, I just quit Divinity Original Sin in the final area... I had a lot of fun with the game overall, but the last 10-15 hours were just sloggy bullshit. I tried the big confrontation a few times, then thought sod it and watched the end!

Heh, I just quit Divinity Original Sin in the final area... I had a lot of fun with the game overall, but the last 10-15 hours were just sloggy bullshit. I tried the big confrontation a few times, then thought sod it and watched the end!

Hearing this from multiple people is a real bummer. As a fan of isometric CRPGs I have to admit that I always have to push myself to finish them.

Baldur's Gate's penultimate area looks like this (after the fog of war has been cleared): 

post-9858-0-88575300-1409119605.gif

The passageways are only wide enough to fit one person. The passageways are filled with mindless skeletons that are very hard to hit. Pathing in Baldur's Gate sucks really hard so your party will pace back and forth across the same couple of meters. This is my favourite game of all time.

Hearing this from multiple people is a real bummer. As a fan of isometric CRPGs I have to admit that I always have to push myself to finish them.

Baldur's Gate's penultimate area looks like this (after the fog of war has been cleared): 

attachicon.gifthievesmaze.gif

The passageways are only wide enough to fit one person. The passageways are filled with mindless skeletons that are very hard to hit. Pathing in Baldur's Gate sucks really hard so your party will pace back and forth across the same couple of meters. This is my favourite game of all time.

I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate when I played it, and that was pretty late.. 2004 or 2005 or so. I completed it with a human fighter / thief (level 7 fighter then level 20? thief), got most of the way through BG2 but then bounced off because of the insane magic system. 

There actually a heck of a lot to like about Divinity: Original Sin... the combat, art style and interactions keep things interesting for a long time,,, just not long enough for my mostly unguided play through (clocking up about 90 hours). Patrick Kleppeck mentioned on his morning show that he used guides quite heavily, and "only" took about 70 hours. 

If you have the time, it could still be worth your while... only the last bit really lets it down (after you access the previously lethal part of evil woodland), and that could be managed with judicious use of spoily guides.. The earlier bits are really very good

Dare I say it? I think I've quit Super Mario 3d World. God damn it's a fantastic game, but I just cannot beat that final level (after the sandstone - pretty sure it's the last of the last levels). It's at the point where I'm so frustrated with it that I can't play when I'm tired after work because I get too angry too quickly. 

Really disappointed with myself for not beating it though - would have been the first Mario game I beat ever, but my platforming skills are just not good enough to deal with that last level. 

You mean the crazy final levels you get for collecting everything? I wouldn't blame you for not beating them, I can't even be bothered to collect all the green stars.

Yeah, that one. I really enjoyed collecting everything though. While it could get frustrating, it was attainable and felt like I could do it. This level just feels like I'm smashing my head on a brick wall.

I think I'm quitting Starseed Pilgrim? Can't really tell if the point is to "beat it" or not. I feel like I got most of what I'm going to get out of it after getting to the second platform in the Home area. Also, there are just other games that I want to play to their entirety, and this one feels like a long one. I think I may have stuck with it longer if I didn't have such a huge back catalog of stuff to play.

Hopefully that doesn't detract from what it is: an awesome game. Really incredibly creative and abstract, and fun to wade through.

I'm quitting They Bleed Pixels. It's super hard and kinda feels like Super Meat Boy but not as tight and inherently fun as SMB feels. I got a foil card from playing it so I've literally recouped almost the full price I paid for it, so I'm more than happy to be done with it after lots of yelling at my computer.

I'm quitting Betrayer, it's a strange black & white game that takes place in more or less Colonial America, where you fight some strange Conquistadors, that I'm not sure if they are possessed or just evil spirits?

I made it to a fort with a bell that takes to the underworld version of the fort where you talk to ghosts, since the only ghost I saw wanted me to find his wife and child I thought that was objective for the area, but not only was it optional, but I also got no rewards from helping this ghost or a new one that appeared all of the sudden. Navigating the ghost world is annoying since you have to "hear" the ghosts to know where they are, thank God you can just activate a mode where it made the sound location more visual, but it's still kinda bad.

By the time I had finally reached the next area, instead of feeling excitement I just thought of how tedious the game had become and just gave up, specially since it looked like more of the same.