Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I quit Cabela's African Adventures, I got on a whim because I wanted to try a hunting game and... it's not really a hunting game, it's an FPS with animal enemies.

The enemies are way too bullet sponge-y for it to be a simulation and you spend most of the "hunts" dodge rolling and trying to get a good shot. The stealth missions are equally dumb since they have no checkpoints and much reach the target without the rest of the herd noticing you, there is only one path and one way to do it.

Oh, it also won't stop crashing, which isn't helping much. :P

I played through one scenario of One Way Heroics, and I think that's all I need to play.   It's a roguelike, procedurally generated classic JRPG.  I had hoped it would deliver an experience similar to Half-Minute Hero, which condensed a bunch of the good stuff about JRPGs into bite sized scenarios.  One paper, OWH ought to do that as well, but in practice, it just wasn't very fun or engaging. 

I quit Cabela's African Adventures, I got on a whim because I wanted to try a hunting game and... it's not really a hunting game, it's an FPS with animal enemies.

Holy shit, I just looked that up. How is that even a thing? Looks pretty gross. Made me think though, why are there no photography games like Pokemon snap?

The game wasn't even sick in that way, no skinning animals or even blood, you get XP and the body disappears after a short while. I really don't get it... It's not a good hunting game, it's a not a good FPS, why does it have so many sequels?

If you want a good photography game, the closest thing Beyond Good and Evil, where you get paid for photographing the alien wild life. 

Man... I used to play a couple of hunting games my grandfather had on his computer when I was kid (mostly I just remember "Rocky Mountain Trophy Hunter"), and I would always think, "Wow, these are so cool, imagine how good and how realistic hunting games will be when I grow up!"

And then I look at the Cabela's "hunting" games and think, "This isn't what I wanted. This isn't what I wanted at all."

Do decent and REAL hunting simulators actually exist now? Any game with animal hunting was better than the Cabela game I played.

Is that a black guy wearing a red shirt? If movies and TV have taught me anything, he won't be surviving for very long.

That's a black lady wearing a dark green jacket.

I might actually try that game since it's free...

But since this is Quitter's Club, I must regret to say I must quit the Sniper Elite Zombie games... It's no longer a sniper game, sure you can take out some with a sniper rifle, but after spending most of the level shooting them with the other weapons, I just didn't care anymore.

There seems to be a sniper element since if you don't headshot them they are likely to come back to life, but they just crawl out the ground behind you and... yep, it's no longer a sniper game. Is the sequel any better? I bought the bundle, unfortunately.

In the new one there's dlc where by you can shoot the renowned critic Charlie Brooker. If you know who he is. This was enough of an incentive for my friend to buy it.

I quite enjoyed Bravely Default so I thought another handheld JRPG would make my commute all the more bearable but after six hours the time has come for me to give up on Final Fantasy X. It's appalling in every regard but the characters and voicework deserve a special mention for being so astonishingly awful despite the colossal budget that must've been spent on this game. Horrific.

I think I might quit the original Harvest Moon. If you've played a Harvest Moon game, you've probably reached the point of "I've already 'won' in year one, all I have to do is the daily grind until the end of the game", but in the original game, it's quite excruciating. 

Your wife gets mad at you if don't go to bed by 5 PM, getting the cows to the pasture is way too time consuming and it's very hard to track which ones have been attended to or not. The people have almost no personalities at all and the tools only get upgraded once.

The worst thing about this game is that in this one, AUTUMN is just as bad as Winter, you can't plant crops, giving you an extra season of pure boredom. I can see why they added mining in the later games... and so many other things. I don't think I'm even calling this quitting, I'm loaded, I got everything in the first year, so instead of wasting a week grinding in the game I've already won. I'm just gonna watch the ending... 

EDIT: I just watched the ending.... I'm glad I didn't waste the whole week for it...

But I love Charlie brooker. If he had actual voice over in it, it would be fantastic.

So do I. But it's not enough for me to buy a whole game just to see him in one DLC, where he's literally a walk-on part. This was, however, enough of an excuse for the studio to bring him in and take weird pictures of him in a less-than-appealing skin tight black bodysuit holding a rifle.

Games are weird. That game studios have enough money to hire TV personalities like Charlie Brooker and Peter Sarafinowich is a strange thing.

Well it can't be that expensive to get former PC Gamer editor Charlie Brooker.

In the new one there's dlc where by you can shoot the renowned critic Charlie Brooker. If you know who he is. This was enough of an incentive for my friend to buy it.

Wait what? That's fucking bizarre. I mean I'd relish the opportunity to be a target of an assassination in one of those Sniper games because it's hilarious to me, but I figure I'm just an outlier.

Actually, now I re-read the sentence both those men would probably not need a lot of convincing to be sniper targets in a video game. 

Peter Serafinowicz was a reference to Dark Souls 2. He plays Pate, as well as the male grunting noises.

The weirdest thing about the Charlie Brooker cameo though is that he's not even the main attraction of the DLC. It's called 'Hunt the Grey Wolf' and you have to kill a Hitler double. And he's not even mentioned in the DLC description. You'd think it'd be a good selling point. And to go as far as to mo-cap him? I dunno, seems a bit silly to me. Here's the picture I was talking about:

Charlie%20Brooker%20-%20Group%20Shot.jpg

Octodad: Dadliest Catch

According to an achievement, that chef has killed me more than 100 times.  I'll never beat him!

I think I might quit the original Harvest Moon. If you've played a Harvest Moon game, you've probably reached the point of "I've already 'won' in year one, all I have to do is the daily grind until the end of the game", but in the original game, it's quite excruciating. 

Your wife gets mad at you if don't go to bed by 5 PM, getting the cows to the pasture is way too time consuming and it's very hard to track which ones have been attended to or not. The people have almost no personalities at all and the tools only get upgraded once.

The worst thing about this game is that in this one, AUTUMN is just as bad as Winter, you can't plant crops, giving you an extra season of pure boredom. I can see why they added mining in the later games... and so many other things. I don't think I'm even calling this quitting, I'm loaded, I got everything in the first year, so instead of wasting a week grinding in the game I've already won. I'm just gonna watch the ending... 

EDIT: I just watched the ending.... I'm glad I didn't waste the whole week for it...

That sounds awful, winter was always one of my favorite parts of the earlier Harvest Moon games. My daily chores would slowly ramp up in intensity with each season as I cleared more fields and could afford to plant more crops, until I was spending most of every day taking care of my fields. Then it all suddenly stopped and you got to putter around a snowy town and go fishing while

played. It was just the right combination of relaxing, beautiful, and desolate. I always thought it was a shame that the more recent games started including winter crops. Leaving out crops for a whole half of the game, however, sounds incredibly boring.

Oh man, I burned through so much time as a kid playing Harvest Moon 64, though I've never played the original. I can see why not being able to grow crops in Autumn would get really boring though.

I tried playing later Harvest Moon games, but I just was never able to get into them quite the same way as with HM64. Does anyone know if any of the portable ones were any good?

Most modern Harvest Moon include mining or fishing, so you have something to do in Winter.... And some of them have greenhouses so you can plant any season anyway. I never played Harvest Moon 64, but the original Harvest Moon is the least enjoyable of all the HM games I've played.

But don't most Harvest Moon games include Harvest Sprites to do some of the work for you? Did I mention you don't have a fishing pole and you can only fish by borrowing one from the fisherman and hope he didn't take that day off if you want to do anything.

Either way, the days are too fast for crops, if I planted more than 4 crops I wouldn't have time to ship them before the shipper arrive, so I concentrated on cows.

In a way I'm still glad to have played it just to see where the series came from and to see how much it has changed and they learned to give us more things to do and a ruck sack so you can actually carry more than one thing.

The game has so many flaws... By the time you get the golden hammer your field is clear and you no longer need it, same goes for the golden ax, the game only has four crops, two for each season, not including the grass, there are barely any tools or upgrades. I'm pretty sure it was revolutionary in it's day, but the sequel just show how flawed and limited the first game was.