Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Rogue Legacy. I feel like I gave that game a solid chance with a 4hr investment, but I'm just not having much fun with it. I like a lot of the game's individual parts (platforming, skill trees, Rouge-likes,), but this particular mix of them isn't appealing to me. I think my main criticism would lay with the combat mechanics. I never found fighting enemies enjoyable; each fight feeling pell-mell as I jumped around on screen and struggling against both opponents and the environment. I'll admit that I may be engaging with the combat incorrectly and that may due to the fact that when I play a 2D game with platforms I want a sense of constant motion and I push the game to make me feel that.

Ah, well. Later, Rogue Legacy.

I had the same feeling with Rogue Legacy really. I ended up beating it anyway, but it never really satisfied.

i think i need to re-start my rogue legacy. ive got 1 boss down but upgrades are getting too expensive even on the best of runs...i may have spent too much "experimenting" dollars on crafting & runes

or i wont restart and it'll be a quit game as well.  TBD :D

Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines. Played right up to when I met the sewer vampires in their lair. I enjoyed my time with the game, but ever since my last playtime I haven't had the smallest desire to go back. I wasn't at into the vampire mythos and I felt the stuff that did push me forward (seeing a fictional interpretation of a real place I was familiar with) was running thin.

A problem I had with this game was the forced stealth or combat sections. (Off the top of my head this happened at least 3 times: the ship, the museum, the sewers). I think that games that allow you to invest all your points into conversation skills should always make that a viable path. I ended up using console commands, so it wasn't too bad, just annoying when I was scolded by the quest giver for not being stealthy.

That being said, I really liked walking around the city areas and just exploring the world. Not bad for a game that's a decade old.

I liked Vampire a lot, but that might have been due to the class I picked. I don't remember having too many problems with the stealth, though some of the areas (the hotel comes to mind) were overly long.

Troika's games (from what I remember) were an incredible mix of brilliance and catastrophe. 

I liked Vampire a lot, but that might have been due to the class I picked. I don't remember having too many problems with the stealth, though some of the areas (the hotel comes to mind) were overly long.

i dont think i got past the first 3hrs in Vampire Bloodlines, but i picked the Nosferatu class so was immediately at a disadvantage. i remember thinking it was very clunky...if on sale on GoG i should try again

However! the first one Vampire Masquerade was a great time, loved the voice acting.  Still a joke amongst brothers when approaching giant rats in the cave guy says to himself - "Wild dogs?...nay! Rats!"

I went with a Tremere Blood Mage and had a fine time. I hear that Malkavian is especially entertaining.

I can't believe I'm quitting Mercenary Kings, a game I Kickstarted... then again, I only Kickstarted it because of the artist they hired... and it looked like Metal Slug, more like Metal SLOG! OH HO HO!

Seriously, the game is pretty fast paced, but the crafting and grinding for materials is bogging the game down... also, they should have hired the artist to create more scenarios, I think all missions take place in like 3 maps, but they look almost the same.

I could have played the beta and given some feedback, but I doubt they'd remove the crafting from the game.

At first I thought, "Oh, it's just a handful of items to craft, OK, that's a pain, but doable!", then I beat the first boss and reached the next ranks which unlocked more parts and when I looks at how much stuff there was too craft? Nope, specially if the scenery never changes at all. :|

Ohhh... I had no idea this was a grindy sort of game. I'm glad I didn't end up picking it up, as I almost did at that 25% off discount rate. I've got no time for the grind these days...

I'm getting this free on PS4 apparently. Go plus. Is it worth playing for no dollars?

I quit playing Spelunky without really meaning to. I've been a bit busier than usual over the last couple of months, so my game-playing time has been limited. I just forgot about it, and now feel like I've been away too long to make any real progress in it. I had a good run where I was playing consistently and could make it to the Temple pretty regularly, but I always managed to screw up the Olmec fight. My skill level plateaued and I just walked away for too long. I guess the great game just isn't for me anymore.

I quit Kingdoms Heart RE: Chain of Memories HD because it was painful on so many levels, the card system is stupid and pretty pointless once you get good cards and the story is just and pointless, stupid and painful. The story just makes no sense specially when you look up the chronology. 

I was pretty close to the ending, but... I couldn't put myself through the stupidity and frustration of everything in general. Besides, I beat the GBA version back in the day, why do it again?

I quit Arkham Origins, since it's just a crummier version of a game I already played with no original ideas. Just less craft and talent than City.

I quit Skyrim because the overworld felt kind of empty and dull. Also, on the console we only got two quick slots, so it was impossible to even switch between a two handed weapon and sword & board.

Oh, and joining the Bard's guild did not let me play instruments and sing enemies to death.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise on this one, but at the moment I'm quitting Starseed Pilgrim.

Floated around for a half hour and got bored.  I'm all for open-ended gameplay, but there isn't much of a promise made.  I never felt compelled to figure out things because there didn't seem to be a larger thing to work towards.  As someone who is prone to depression, this hits too closely to the open-endedness/meaningless interpretation of existence that I fall into in my bad states.

I think if I could come at the game from a clear, meditated, focused place I might enjoy it more.

Has anyone else made it through the game?  Is it more than the apparent abstract design?  I just don't want to miss something amazing because I'm in a bad mood. :)

I have such little time to play games I regularly will pick up a game, play like a third of it, and move on to the next thing. I prefer to think of it as "sampling". :P Life is too short to play a bad video game. I reached a point in Skyrim where I just realized I wasn't actually having any fun. I enjoyed climbing the social ladder and all that more meta stuff, but I found the actual gameplay kind of tedious and actually dreaded it. So I got married, bought a house, and settled down. Somebody else will take care of those dragons.

I have such little time to play games I regularly will pick up a game, play like a third of it, and move on to the next thing. I prefer to think of it as "sampling". :P Life is too short to play a bad video game. I reached a point in Skyrim where I just realized I wasn't actually having any fun. I enjoyed climbing the social ladder and all that more meta stuff, but I found the actual gameplay kind of tedious and actually dreaded it. So I got married, bought a house, and settled down. Somebody else will take care of those dragons.

I'd say you won the game...the game of life!

I'm all for open-ended gameplay, but there isn't much of a promise made.

I think this is what bothered me about it; I got to the point where I could see what the shape of the gameplay was and at that point I had little confidence the game had anything else to show me because it had been coy about its most basic elements.

I'd say you won the game...the game of life!

I walked away from Skyrim a long time ago, then played (and loved) Dark souls and tried to go back. Doing that will really cement how lacking the core systems in skyrim really are.

That game really epitomizes quantity over quality for me.

I want to like it, a lot of friends and people I respect do, but the core loop is just so boring to me.

Edit: Forgot to say that it's awesome that you found your own ending, maybe I should have done the same. :)

Edit2: Whoops Merus wasn't talking about skyrim! quote removed.

Edited by cyrix

Forgot to say that it's awesome that you found your own ending, maybe I should have done the same. :)

It's funny, I didn't really think of it that way at the time, but once I put the game down I was like "Hey you know what? Dovahkiin's doing pretty well for himself now. I think he's found happiness."

This is the hate-one thread, right? I have permission say I dislike a game and be a dick about it, right?

First official entry here but I'm ready to quit Guacamelee

The combat isn't what I define as fun, it just feels like something to break up the platforming. The platforming is what I really don't like. It's hard. Hard to the point that it's frustrating, especially without checkpoints.

I recently got the phase/world shift power and having to wall jump while phase shifting is difficult, which can be rewarding when I manage it. However, when I make a mistake after getting to a new platform and fall all the way to the bottom, it just feels like I've been punished too hard. I don't want to do that again, and again, and again. 

I'm not quitting because I'm bored of it, but more because I don't actually like the game. The references are kinda lame (I'm not a reddit guy), and the story is forgettable which are aspects that have received a lot of praise. It's a shame really, I wanted to like it.

I am done after 64 minutes. If you want to know what the guys on the podcast mean when they say "references are not humor, they are the death of comedy" then play Guacamelee. Oh look, a poster that says "EL GATO GRUMPITO", that is so fucking funny. Oh, there are Chozo statues in this game, wow, these developers are really true to their roots. No need to massage that in there guys, in fact, you should have a character frequently mention them by name. 

It's funny, I didn't really think of it that way at the time, but once I put the game down I was like "Hey you know what? Dovahkiin's doing pretty well for himself now. I think he's found happiness."

I feel like my Dovahkiin just said fuck it, and left to live on a mountain somewhere.  He had reached the point of being a functional god.  He was unkillable, and could bring elder dragons crashing out of the sky just by looking at them funny.  He was the single most dangerous being in the entire land.  And still, all these ignorant humans treated him like he was just some commoner, someone to fetch them milk because they couldn't be bothered.  That he could be talked down to, mocked, ordered around, and generally spoken to as though any one of these worms might be his equal. 

So he did the only heroic thing he could, he left.  Because the other option was to get into a race with the dragons to see who could burn this miserable world down first. 

I think this is what bothered me about it; I got to the point where I could see what the shape of the gameplay was and at that point I had little confidence the game had anything else to show me because it had been coy about its most basic elements.

Yeah!  I did a bit of peeking out of the bushes in other forums in the hopes that it would illuminate something richer about Starseed Pilgrim, but it looks like it turns into a more challenging version of what that first level outlines.  Not to say that I was expecting Frog Fractions level of switcheroo-ness.... :)

Word on the street is it's between 20-28 hours long.  One of the times where knowing the length of the game helps me make my playing decision.

I walked away from Skyrim a long time ago, then played (and loved) Dark souls and tried to go back. 

Why can't I get into Dark Souls?! I loved Demons' Souls, but I found Dark Souls so frustrating. DS2 coming out has made me reconsider it, but I'm not sure whether I'll like it. 

I think what I found most frustrating is that I didn't know if I was doing it right. Never. I was doing ok, killed the 2 gargoyles, rang the bell then I was like...now what? Worked my way through what I thought was the right way, got to a boss who had 2 dogs with him. He would one shot me every time then I'd have to walk all the way back, constantly thinking "Is this the boss I'm meant to be facing?"

The horrible stats too; which make no sense, and asking anyone online you get the same response:

"What weapons do you want to use?" I don't know! Which ever weapons I find a long the way.

I need to try it again. It's pretty cheap on steam and I just bought a PS4 controller for RE4 on PC. 

FWIW, there's a bunch of us in the Dark Souls thread who would be happy to give you advice and non-spoilery guidance to get you further along in DS1.  It doesn't sound like you were that deep into it yet.  That boss you hit is probably one of the most difficult fights in the game.  It comes early when you aren't leveled up yet, and it's such a confined area that you have very limited time to actually learn what to do with it.  He's one of those bosses who is really easy to cheese once you know what to do though.