Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

. I actually also quit my first ever playthrough of Half-Life a month ago because I thought I'd expended its breadth by the time I launched the satellite.

The best part of Half-Life is the chapter "Surface Tension", which I think you're almost at (it's been a while). Maybe use cheats to see it.

Is there an option to play Metro with Russian voices but English subtitles?

Gave Dust: An Elysian Tail a good hour of my time.  I thought it might be pretty at first, but it quickly fell into the "so pretty it's garish" category (with the Trine games).  I walked through a village and got myself about 8 quests.  Too many quests to start the game with!

Level design felt pretty uninspiring.  The character felt floaty.  The monsters all lined up in a row felt unnaturally placed.  Collecting the coins and item drops felt floaty.

It feels like there's a good depth of game in there, but everything around it doesn't appeal to me, so I'm quitting!

Totally valid, though I liked the game a whoooole lot. It is a floaty platformer, but one that doesn't punish you if you're not pixel perfect. In fact, a lot of the fun of the game comes from the combo's and weird stuff that makes you float across the screen like a whirlwind, racking up hits to all enemies. I found that very gratifying, especially since it's easily accessible (rather than some obtuse mechanic involving difficult commands and combo awareness, this just flows naturally from play).

I've also been playing it. I don't mind the extreme difficulty. But it is becoming a bit tedious, especially the backtracking.

I got the latest adventure bundle from Humble Bundle and I really can't stomach first person adventure games...

I quit Aura: Fate of the Ages and Dracula 4: Shadow of the Dragon for this same reason, but looking at online walkthoughs made me glad I did skip them... they did not look very good or fun to play.

Mystery Series: A Vampire Tale is a hidden object game, but a very old one, so there is a time limit and all you do is search for objects, so it was pretty terrible.  :tdown:

I'm think I'm about done with Spelunky.  I can get to and beat Yama relatively easily and I have all the achievements I care to get.  I can certainly improve more and try for better times or scores, but I'm at the level of mastery that I care to achieve and I'm seeing diminishing returns with each game.  I might continue to do daily challenges for a while, but my heart's just not in it.  It was a lot of fun, but I've had my fill and I think it's time to move on to something else.

I might be done with Splinter Cell: Blacklist after playing about half of the game. The amount of times you get forced into combat during a cut scene is pretty obnoxious. Also, the fact that a "ghost" play style seems to consist of only a series of sleeper holds, I feel less like a super-spy and more like a pro wrestler having a very bad day.

I found in Blacklist that I could get through many of the earlier levels without touching a guy. You have so many gadgets at your disposal that distract/sleep/whatever as well as the traditional approach of watching movements and slipping past guards. 

There are some missions that require a more direct approach (and sometimes the game would give me "panther" points rather than "ghost" despite not killing anyone which I found incredibly annoying), but they're not common. 

I'd recommend giving it a good old college try. Maybe because it's the only good splinter cell game since chaos theory is why I liked it so much, i.e. nostalgia. 

I suppose part of the problem might be my own fault for just knocking out guys when I had the chance. The forced action sequences are my real complaint though. Maybe there is a way to slip away and then resume sneakiness, but particularly the Iranian Intelligence office mission has that bit where it transitions from sneaky-time to tons of dudes trying to shoot me in the dark struck me as annoying.

Hoplite on Android. It suffers from the common puzzle game issue of taking too long to get difficult once your competent. 80% of your sessions are spent on the trivial stages.

Difficulty settings would go a long way to keeping it fresh.

Weirdly, I found the side missions to be the best part of Blacklist as they played the most like traditional Splinter Cell. I did not much care for the control scheme, however. Also, strangely enough, I found it to be one of the best-written games of the year.

I suppose part of the problem might be my own fault for just knocking out guys when I had the chance. The forced action sequences are my real complaint though. 

Yeah, but if you feel like you have to/should it's probably not great design. 

I didn't hate the forced action sequences, they broke up the game play which I found quite fun. Each to their own though. 

However I wouldn't say it's the best-written game I played last year...I honestly do not care about the splinter cell story one bit. I just like well designed stealth. 

Interestingly for me, I played SC: BL right after playing Mark of the Ninja which was a perfect stealth game in my opinion. Still, even though it was a downgrade, I think black list is a pretty decent game. I don't have a lot of tolerance for poor stealth games, but if you're not enjoying it then quitting is ok! I just hope you'll give it another chance.

I think I'm going to quit Pokemon X. I'm sure Tegan would be upset. I just don't care about anything that's happening in the game. They've put in 3D pokemans which is nice, but it's not enough to keep me playing. For a pokemon game, the story is awful, and your 'friends' are annoying.

Maybe when I complete bravely I'll go back to it, but it's highly doubtful. I've completely lost interest in the game.

I think I'm going to quit Pokemon X. I'm sure Tegan would be upset. I just don't care about anything that's happening in the game. They've put in 3D pokemans which is nice, but it's not enough to keep me playing. For a pokemon game, the story is awful, and your 'friends' are annoying.

Both Pokemon B/W and X/Y have received huge critical acclaim, but for some reason they weren't able to catch me, and I quit both of them early. I really expected to be able to fall in love with any Pokemon game after playing 100 hours of Soul Silver, but I'm starting to think that was more nostalgia than anything else. I also think the recent Pokemon games are paced much more slowly, and some of the cities get too big, so that exploring them is a chore rather than an adventure. :(

I give up on Unepic, I beat the pre-Steam version, and only started to play it while waited for some card drops... only to enjoy it enough to continue until almost the end.

This isn't even the final area and EVERY enemy causes status ailment that are a chore to remove, most of the time you can only reduce the damage done... BUT IT STACKS, so you can have 5 poison ailments at the same time, which will make you die too quickly before you have time to drink a potion or use a spell to heal.

The worst is that the don't even have the same "alignment" in the whole area, so you can be prepared for for a frost knight only to have a fire helmet attack you from behind...

Did I mention this dungeon introduces an enemy that turns your weapons into toy hammers and the only way to undo this is with "100 divine favors", which you get from killing the undead, which don't even live in this area.

I don't know what I did in the last game, but I'm not willing to put up with all these annoyances for a misogynist jerk of a hero. :| 

I might get shot over this but I gave Spelunky a try and I just can find it to be enjoyable at all.  I enjoy other rouge-likes but I get tired of them really fast when in order to get going within the game I have to read an entire wiki.  I never did the daily challenge and perhaps the game is better in a single daily slice like that but I end up dying in the mines 90% of the times.  Some people call it the thinking mans platformer but that idea doesn't mesh with something that is twich/reaction based.  All the planning in the world won't help me when I mechanically fail to perform the right action and am instantly killed from it.  I don't know a ton about it.  I know there's some cup thing that collects blood which is how you restore health but the game hides all that information that is useful and instead gives you the painfully obvious information in the journal.  Looking at the game I would think I'd enjoy it more but it feels like this.

360px-Activation_energy.svg.png

I get halfway up the curve but without a catalyst I lose my momentum and fall back away from enjoying the game.  Maybe I'll find a catalyst one day but for now it just feels like the game is intentionally wasting my time.

Totally fair to not like Spelunky, but I will point out that things like the Kapala (the blood cup) are not necessary in the slightest to beat the game.  I'd also argue that twitch reactions only come into play when you've made a mistake or been impatient.  It does require a great mastery of the mechanics, but success (for me) has a lot to do with moving very deliberately and patiently through each world.

Not that I'm a huge Spelunky fan myself (I play the daily occasionally, made it to the ice caves exactly once) but I think  you underestimate how much planning and awareness helps you. There is certainly a certain level of manual dexterity required to play effectively, but much of the game is built around risk reduction. Not putting yourself into a position where you need to make split second twitch reactions is much more important than making those reactions when you do end up in that situation.

Spelunky seems like it requires a large amount of reflex at first because of it's platforming nature, but once you start to become familiar with the game, you learn enemy patterns, level layouts, and start to see the recurring elements and patterns.  There is a certain degree of skill required, but prudent planning can drastically increase your odds of survival.

As for things that the game doesn't explain, part of the fun is encountering and discovering these things for yourself.  

Of course you're perfectly free to not like any of that.

First official entry here but I'm ready to quit Guacamelee

The combat isn't what I define as fun, it just feels like something to break up the platforming. The platforming is what I really don't like. It's hard. Hard to the point that it's frustrating, especially without checkpoints.

I recently got the phase/world shift power and having to wall jump while phase shifting is difficult, which can be rewarding when I manage it. However, when I make a mistake after getting to a new platform and fall all the way to the bottom, it just feels like I've been punished too hard. I don't want to do that again, and again, and again. 

I'm not quitting because I'm bored of it, but more because I don't actually like the game. The references are kinda lame (I'm not a reddit guy), and the story is forgettable which are aspects that have received a lot of praise. It's a shame really, I wanted to like it.

NaissanceE is for the most part an amazing Myst-y puzzle platformer with a pretty evocative art-style inspired by Tsutomu Nihei's Blame! and german expressionist films from the twenties. There are some frustrating platforming sections where it isn't entirely clear whether or not you are going to actually make a particular jump as well as some unintentional obtuseness about where to go (as well as plenty of intentional obtuseness in some pretty mindfucky puzzles) but usually you'll have enough time to make a relatively informed decision and there's enough checkpoints to make death due to a missed jump not all that tragic.

And then the final chapter is more or less a boss battle in which you have to escape by quickly jumping across rotating platforms. If you are too slow you'll either slide down the platforms and get eaten by the boss or just get eaten by the boss, if you are too fast however, there's the chance that the platform you wanted to jump on hasn't yet rotated enough for you to stand on and you'll fall off. It's completly possible to get stuck on level geometry during this sequence and the game is prone to occassionally letting you clip to the floor.

This sequence takes about four minutes to complete and requires both near perfect execution and a good dose throughout the entirety of those four minutes and since judging from Youtube videos, there's not much to do in the game after this sequence, I'm not going to bother.

StarTropics. I have nostalgia for StarTropics II, but since I haven't played it since a kid, I was interested in going back to it. But first, I wanted to play the first game in the series b/c I never did.

Ugh. I'm about 2-3 hrs in and what a b.s. game. I'm constantly spelunking into the same caves and fighting the same damned enemies and doing the same damn block jumping puzzle. The overworld has nothing interesting going on and none of the charm I remember ST II having. There's also a lot of false exits in the caves where it'll take you back to the beginning of the cave. This goes beyond annoying when the enemies respawn whenever you leave a room.

Blergh. Skipping it. Moving onto StarTropics II. Hoping my memories of it hold up.