Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Considering quitting FarCry 3.  Cleared all of the outposts on both islands, but haven't done much of the story on the second island.  My character feels very overpowered at this point.

FarCry 3 is exactly why I dislike narrative-lead games longer than 15 hours.  I'm on that descending slope where I'm not that excited to play anymore, but I want to see the story through.

They nailed the whole "bunch of ignorant bros on a brocation broing it up", but haven't been leaning hard enough on the whole "here's why they're problematic" part.  Me, I'm a non-bro, so I'm incredibly hateful towards the character I'm playing as, and I'm pretty sure the game wants me to feel that way... though it's as if they realized that bros make up a good percentage of FPS sales, so they sanded down the whole critique part to a place where it's really up to the player to interpret things.

So I'm having a weird time with it!  Anyone recommend pushing through the second island's story?  Or should I join the Quitter's Club on this one?

Considering quitting FarCry 3.  Cleared all of the outposts on both islands, but haven't done much of the story on the second island.  My character feels very overpowered at this point.

No shame in quitting this one. I also loved clearing out the outposts and generally rambling about the islands. But the story and attendant tone are ass gravy, and the story missions don't in any way capture what (for me) is interesting about the game.

Quit: The Banner Saga.

Gave the final boss a good 7 or 8 tries, the later half of those efforts bumping the difficulty down to easy, and decided to call it a day. At least I enjoyed the rest of my time with that game... pity I didn't get to find out how it ends.

I think I hate Rogue Legacy. Something about the movement or controls just really irritates me. I've tried to go back to it a couple times and I'm pretty sure there's a good game in there, but I think I'm done.

No shame in quitting this one. I also loved clearing out the outposts and generally rambling about the islands. But the story and attendant tone are ass gravy, and the story missions don't in any way capture what (for me) is interesting about the game.

I also highly recommend quitting before trying to slog through that goddawful story. The outposts are far and away the best part (and the exploring you get to do in between them)

I think I hate Rogue Legacy. Something about the movement or controls just really irritates me. I've tried to go back to it a couple times and I'm pretty sure there's a good game in there, but I think I'm done.

I'm in this position as well.

I actually don't have a lot of negative things to say about the story and presentation in GTAV. That's actually what worked best for me. They still convey a fantastic sense of place (they even modeled my apartment building in fake DTLS!). I just think GTA plays like garbage. There isn't a lot of mission variety and all the controls feel AWFUL. It's like you're doing everything in mud. They compensate for this by using this horrible snap to target auto aiming that makes combat a complete boring chore. I actually probably would have played a lot more GTA5 if the experience of interacting with it wasn't just an absolute nightmare. 

That's the first I've heard that the controls still feel crap. That was a massive problem for me in 4 - half the time I felt like I was driving the character. Everything I've seen written says how improved it is but it seems there's a long way still to go. This assuages my GTA 'guilt' DaveC and Griddle described. Maybe guilt isn't the right word. It's more of a desire to ride with the wave. Sure I can still play it in years to come, but playing with others and understanding all the tweets and allusions and news stories etc adds another dimension to the experience. If I'm going to play something, there's no time like launch.

On a side note, does Red Dead have the same control issues?

On topic, Surgeon Simulator. 74 minutes and a few bird-flipping achievements later, I still can't do a damn thing. The wrist angle is my biggest problem - I might have a chance if it was mapped to the scroll wheel. Hard.

Having missed the launch excitement, I have for months effectively lost any appetite for GTAV. Should the multiplayer be any good (read: it works on PC), and a budding weekly scene arise on the Thumb, I'll probably buy it for that alone.

Me too. Always baffled when people say they think it's a much better game than Spelunky.

On a side note, does Red Dead have the same control issues?

I actually can't recall. I feel like it was much better but still not great? I might have just been far more willing to put up with that mediocrity given the setting and presentation in that one?

Yeah, I also quit GTA V, months ago to be honest. I think I only played it for a couple of weeks, been in one heist or two, can't recall correctly.

At first, I just wanted to explore the map, they said it would be that I got excited by the prospect of driving through different regions... and then I drove through the whole coast in under 30 minutes or something. It wasn't bad, but I expected it to be a bit bigger, with more areas in which you can actually do stuff, not a bunch of mountains.

Then I tried to play the story... That Facebook mission was cringeworthy. I decided to keep playing to see if it got better, but nope, not that much. 

It was disappointing, surely the game has a lot of merits in its technical achievments, but I don't see myself having any enjoyment with it anymore. 

I do have to admit they did an absolutely stunning job of recreating LA. The mountains you're talking about are actually a super prominent geographical feature of Los Angeles. In real life the high desert is actually buffered from LA by another valley it's not just right there. But all of that "dead space" up in the mountains is actually pretty true to how this city is built. It's not a popular opinion but I love LA the way some people love San Francisco :wub:

I can't fault you guys for getting bored with the game and quitting considering how slow the first 10-20 hours are and how many activities are still locked off. It is definitely the kind of game that you need to dump quite a bit of time into to really appreciate what they've done with the world and how fleshed out each activity and event is. Sorry to keep being an apologist for this game.

If any of you guys still have GTA V and own it on PS3, I would recommend giving GTA Online a shot. There are 4 of us that have been playing almost every night and it has been an absolute blast. What's nice about it is that after a few basic tutorial missions pretty much everything is opened up right away with the exception of a few mission types such as parachute jumps or survival mode (which you can actually still do if someone that does have it unlocked invites you). 

I think my most hated part of the GTA hype was the constant "ZOMG HIESTS!" of which in many, many hours I did about 2. I was told that they were a major part of the game, and that it would allow me to essentially design my own mission.  

They were not like that, there were not many. It's all just old GTA missions that never change.

It's probably all my fault for listening to hype for a game which is designed for everyone, without anyone in mind.

Had to quit GTA5 due to a yellow light of death on my PS3.

- Was surprised to find they still prize the animation of the character over control.  I really could care less if my character realistically slows down to a stop after sprinting.  Or those moments where you're trying to turn your character around quickly in a gunfight and he turns like a boat.

- Wife and I moved to LA this past June, so we were psyched to virtually explore the city while physically doing the same.  Found it funny that Silverlake/Echo Park are relegated to a weird lonely street with a bunch of hipsters walking around.  I guess the crazy hill-iness of that region was not fun to play in.  Otherwise I feel like they did a wonderful job capturing how beautiful this area is.

- Also surprised that there's not a lot of new emergent gameplay, if any.  I had hoped at this point that there'd be things to do "in the moment".  This ties in with my desire for more direct controls:  I want to boot up a game and pretty immediately be playing.  Not enter into a very pretty lobby that has the same limited world interaction as GTA3 (sorry for the hyperbole).

- Put about 7 or 8 hours into multiplayer.  Even with such a huge playerbase it was hard to find lobbies that would fill up for anything but racing.  The whole thing felt sharp-edged, inelegant, and scattered.

That being said, I enjoyed my time with the game.  Just not that bummed to be forced to stop playing.

But all of that "dead space" up in the mountains is actually pretty true to how this city is built. It's not a popular opinion but I love LA the way some people love San Francisco :wub:

I love those mountains!  Anytime I want to escape the city, Griffith Park is right there (I'm sure the beach has a similar effect for those on the west side).  Loving LA thankfully seems to be a popular opinion for those that live here.  The only hate I've encountered about the city was from friends and family on the east coast. (not that there are't terrible, horrible things about this city. It's just been the best place I've ever lived in so far...).

I think a lot of people move here thinking they're going to get rich and famous and then end up super depressed when they wind up working at a Starbucks and paying high rents. Those are the only people who I really know who seem to express hate for LA. Anyone not from here has this strangely warped idea of LA like the entire city is some kind of super vain combination of Venice/Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and West Hollywood when in reality you'll only really find those types of people in those specific west side neighborhoods. 

LA Noire also goes to a super amazing length to recreate the city. Back in that time period the bottom floor of the building across the street from me was a somewhat well known drug store called "Owl Drug". I was completely floored when I saw that they actually modeled Owl to look basically just like it did in all the historical record photos I had seen even though it played no part in the main game. There are touches of that kind of stuff EVERYWHERE in that game. They did an incredible job nailing historical locations that I feel like only longtime LA locals would know or care about.

I'm taking a break, maybe quitting, Our Darker Purpose (a recent Binding of Isaac style rouge-lite).  There are a lot of things I really like about this game, it's so close to being as good as other games in the genre.  It combines both the actual game playing improvement of something like Spelunky with the permanent perk acquisition of Rogue Legacy.  And I really like the writing and world building in it.  But the opening 20 minutes of every playthrough is crushing me.  There's just not enough diversity in early items, perks and level up rewards.  I'm not excited to start over, I'm dreading slogging through the first four levels, and hoping I don't make a bonehead mistake that will almost ensure I don't have a shot at getting past my current brickwall. 

They are still making regular balance changes and adjustments to the game, so maybe I'll come back. 

Anyone not from here has this strangely warped idea of LA like the entire city is some kind of super vain combination of Venice/Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and West Hollywood...

I dunno, I've never been to LA, but this is what I think of when I think LA:

Giant-traffic-jam-300x201.jpg

I dunno, I've never been to LA, but this is what I think of when I think LA:

Giant-traffic-jam-300x201.jpg

Ha!  I've found as long as you live close to where you work, the traffic ain't a problem.  Also meditating and/or Idle Thumbs help when you do get stuck...

I have officially quit Farcry 3.  Thanks all for letting me know that the rest of the story isn't worth it. Moved on to Gunpoint and I don't think I'll be quitting that.

I quit Assassin's Creed 4 because U-Play ate a fifth of my game data somehow and wanted me to re-download about five gigs' worth of data. Middle fingers to you and your stupid gated middleware, Ubisoft.

I'm inches from giving up on Witcher 2. It seems like the kind of game that I'm playing because I'm supposed to like it as opposed to actually enjoying myself when I boot it up.

I'm inches from giving up on Witcher 2. It seems like the kind of game that I'm playing because I'm supposed to like it as opposed to actually enjoying myself when I boot it up.

i felt the same way about that game

I think I'm finally done with Dark Souls. Got a good ~300 hours out of it between PC and Xbox. Goodnight sweet prince.

I started Morrowind because I always meant to, but it's kind of repelling me to the point where I have trouble picking it up any more. The combat I can deal with, but the world feels kind of lifeless with all the NPCs just standing around giving you stock replies most of the time (although I do like the way you gather topics to ask people about). As much as I roll my eyes at Skyrim's sometimes forced attempts to make the world seem more alive, I can't help but miss the activity in towns, artificial or not.

I started Morrowind because I always meant to, but it's kind of repelling me to the point where I have trouble picking it up any more. The combat I can deal with, but the world feels kind of lifeless with all the NPCs just standing around giving you stock replies most of the time (although I do like the way you gather topics to ask people about). As much as I roll my eyes at Skyrim's sometimes forced attempts to make the world seem more alive, I can't help but miss the activity in towns, artificial or not.

This is one that I never got more than 15 hours into. I found the combat to be pretty atrocious (seriously, why did half of my sword swings miss when I'm right in front of a dude clearly slicing his face in half) which made the early game very difficult for me which in turn discouraged me from ever picking it up again after my frustration levels piqued. Also, and this is probably because I was playing on the original Xbox, the graphical quality really hindered my enjoyment of the game. It was very dark and muddy and the draw distance was super low, which made the world feel a lot smaller and uninteresting than it really was.

Given how much good stuff I've heard about the game and how much I've enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim, I'm sure there's a lot more for me to love. Maybe I'll pick it up on PC one day and give it another go with some graphical mods or something.

I installed a graphical overhaul which makes it look much nicer, technically, but the world itself still has a dark muddy sort of look to it. I mean that's part of the aesthetic, and it still looks pretty great, but it does kind of contribute to the feeling of lifelessness I was talking about.

Saints Row 4 is a game I'm probably going to quit. It's fun and all, I like the super powers, and the in-head radio is probably the best unsung feature in the game, but the whole thing is so dark that it gives me a headache. Which is a shame as Saints Row 3 was so much fun.

I also can't stand the whole Elder Scrolls series. It's pretty n all, but it's all so generic fantasy I'm bored of it by the time I leave the sewers. For me the world isn't interesting or exciting. I felt the same way about the Witcher too. But the witcher was also bogged down by incredibly boring lore that I had to wade through.