Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I think I'm done with Kingdoms of Amalur. I had quit on it and previously and then come back. I like the steady grind of it but I feel like I'm missing out on other games. I just uninstalled NBA 2k14 for the same reason. I'm quitting a lot of games right now...

GTA V

fuck it, i'm calling quits. I've had it for almost 3 months now, managed about 50% completion rate. Its fun and all that i guess but there's just no draw for me, its too much of a commitment. I'll take EDF any day of the week over this.... which is exactly what i'm doing

GTA V It would be the perfect game to have just sat on your (PS4) hard drive that you can dip into whenever. But the disk is giving me evils i need to send it back (rental innit)

God i hope if/when it does come to playstation 4 it'll have some kinda of save/progress file transfer

GTA V

fuck it, i'm calling quits. I've had it for almost 3 months now, managed about 50% completion rate. Its fun and all that i guess but there's just no draw for me, its too much of a commitment. I'll take EDF any day of the week over this.... which is exactly what i'm doing

GTA V It would be the perfect game to have just sat on your (PS4) hard drive that you can dip into whenever. But the disk is giving me evils i need to send it back (rental innit)

God i hope if/when it does come to playstation 4 it'll have some kinda of save/progress file transfer

Sad to hear. My experience is quite the opposite. I'm about 80 hours in and 95% complete. Just working on getting all the collectibles at this point and I'm finding even that part surprisingly fun. 

GTA V

That's how I felt about GTA4 myself.

I've been attempting to make my way through Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes on my phone. I love the battle system.  It's fun, it's puzzly, it's kind of randomly crushing.  I just enjoy it.  I want to play that when I pick up my phone.  But instead I have to spend time wandering slowly from walking point to walking point, speaking to someone about "betrayal" or "the demons!" or "I'm a nutty wizard!"

I think it's a problem with setup.  A lot of games are centered around a win-lose gameplay system.  Thus narrative conflict is used to justify the need to continue looping through.  Speaking broadly and subjectively: narrative conflict requires a setup for someone to actually care.  Within 2 minutes of booting up M&M:CoH you're thrown into conflict.  The Elves shout at each other about the dire circumstances. "THIS IS SUCH A BIG DEAL. OMG. THE DEMON DUDE IS HERE. THAT'S A BIG DEAL."  The urgency feels forced.  It's hard to care about the characters when you don't know who they are.  A knight goes back to his home castle and everyone's like "YOU'RE A TRAITOR PRINCE!!!" And I'm like "WHO IS THIS GUY I'M PLAYING AS???? CAN I PLS JUST PLAY THE PUZZLES??"

There is no other way that this would have worked given the gameplay systems implemented by Capy; there's no way for them to establish the world and characters other than through conflict and/or super long dialog between two or more portraits.

Chris mentioned on the most recent podcast just clicking through all of the story stuff in the Banner Saga to get to the battles, but some part of me really struggles with that.  I'm getting to the point where I have to appreciate a game as a whole entity otherwise it's a waste of my time.

It is a real shame about the story parts of Clash of Heroes. The battles are great, but all the wandering around is the reason I've only played up to the end of the first act. It wouldn't even be a problem if it was just light skippable fluff, but I specifically recall that game being a terrible offender for long unskippable cutscenes. Not to mention some awful "stealth" sections on the overworld map that kept me stuck for waay too long.

Given the relative narrative nuance on show in other Capy games (i.e. Sworcery) I almost wonder if the super-straight lore-heavy and unskippable nature of the story in CoH was their subtle rebellion at having to set their game in the M&M universe. "You like Might and Magic? Here you go, enjoy it, forever!"

This Eurogamer article covers it a little bit. It sounds like Ubisoft gave them pretty free reign, though Capy were still more of a work-for-hire joint at the time, but I just can't imagine anyone thinking of all that boring lore as interesting or appropriate for the great puzzle game that is its core.

So far this year I have been mostly quitting

Contrast PS4 - felt like I was playing a game from the year 1999, and not in a cool retro way do you get me blud (sorry I just watched attack the block, truth) janky controls and floaty platforming inter spliced with irritatingly slow cutscenes showing you where you should be going or you next objective with the camera coming to rest back on your character but waiting a good 5secsonds before giving you back control :tdown:

Borderlands 2 PS3 - why is a game that is all about shooting (and a sequel at that) have such terrible controls? I'm not going to get into the science of first person aiming on a joypad with look speeds and dead zones and whatever. After playing a shooter for a couple of hours I expect to be able to use my thumbs to move a crosshair to a desired location. Is that so much to ask? :tdown:

Outlast PS4 - first off, the bloody light bar on the DS4 controller is ridiculous, I've had to put black tape over it. Really really noticeable in this game, it's almost as if you're shining a touch at your television. The game? I was quite excited to play it as I had never touched any of these amnesia style games, nice atmosphere, a few jump scares, but then I got down into this basement with a silly man walking around wanting to kill me, meh, the game just didn't present enough options for me. It was just irritating. Why can't I fight back against a man the same size/build as me? Not that I wanted to fight really.... I think I'd appreciate it more in the likes of that upcoming alien game, where there's no chance of fighting back, you can't know/understand/question the motives of an alien creature. Also a motion tracker would help immensely, this is what made stalking/hiding palatable in the Last of Us.

Also can you quit a game before you even start it?

Castlevania: lord of suckow 2 - I was media blackout for this bad boy, super excited for it. There was no doubt in my mind that it was going to be anything less than a very enjoyable video game. Game informer review 6/10

Wha

Der

Furrr

Go ahead and trample all over my dreams why don't you. Let's just reminisce about that after credits cutscene. So good

Remember Me

It's gorgeous and interesting and I almost care about the dumb amnesia plot but it just introduced invisible enemies. I'm not prepared to actually pay attention to its flaccid Arkham combat and the game isn't going to let me get away with halfheartedly tapping out the simplest combo over and over anymore so this is where we go our seperate ways.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with the new Tomb Raider game... I think there's a lot of good things going for that game but it's just sort of dull and it's story is EXTREMELY stupid. I do love/hate their crazy frantic camera and I think their game is absolutely beautiful. I mean that thing looks completely amazing. 

I quit playing a lot of games, not out of hatred for them, but just because I get all I need to get out of them and then eventually abandon them. I do this with open world games a ton, where I get really close to the end, decide I'm going to finish up some sidequests, then lose all interest and just stop.

As much as it pains me to admit, I think I need to quit Dark Souls. I had a good run. After walking away from the game a few month back after getting stuck at the gargoyles (I know...), I managed to make it to Anor Londo without too much trouble. I hit level 50 and was working on leveling my Black Knight Halberd to level 5. Then, while walking through the cathedral, I decided to check out that interesting painting on the wall. I got sucked into the Painted World, which everything I read leads me to believe I'm about 10 levels underleveled for without any items to cure the toxicity all the enemies around seem to inflict on me. Maybe it's time to throw in the towel. You win, Dark Souls. You win.

it's just sort of dull and it's story is EXTREMELY stupid.

I'm with you: the story is the worst part of that game. The mechanics as a whole are kinda boring. I didn't quit but I felt like it most of the time, especially after failing QTEs 101298128919 times.

As much as it pains me to admit, I think I need to quit Dark Souls. I had a good run. After walking away from the game a few month back after getting stuck at the gargoyles (I know...), I managed to make it to Anor Londo without too much trouble. I hit level 50 and was working on leveling my Black Knight Halberd to level 5. Then, while walking through the cathedral, I decided to check out that interesting painting on the wall. I got sucked into the Painted World, which everything I read leads me to believe I'm about 10 levels underleveled for without any items to cure the toxicity all the enemies around seem to inflict on me. Maybe it's time to throw in the towel. You win, Dark Souls. You win.

: (

That sucks. I didn't go back to the Asylum until way later so I didn't have the doll. I don't suppose you have any soul items in your inventory that you can use to level? It may be worth it to spend a couple of the boss souls if you're not planning on making weapons with them.

Otherwise, I don't blame you for quitting. I almost stopped when I tried to go through the back route into Blight Town, without having any of the levels that the Depths or Lower Undead Berg gives you.

It is possible to escape the Painted World without dealing with the most difficult areas, and you can always come back later.   You still have to fight a few things, or spring past them, but it is doable:

From the Dark Souls Wiki: You can exit the Painted World of Ariamis without having to use the tumbler in the basement, by exploiting the Undead Dragon glitch. To do this, go to the Undead Dragon, who can be located on the bridge. Kill it, and there will be half of it lying on the bridge, blocking your way. Attack the lower half of the dragon with a jump attack (forward+strong attack) to make the lower body to stand, gaining the access to the bridge below. The Heavy Knight will not spawn unless you decide to backtrack to where the hollows ambush you. The hollows will still be in their stations.

I was lucky enough to have gotten sucked into the Painted World with a Fire weapon and Pyromancy, which makes those bloated weirdos a lot easier. You can get through just by running past everything, including the boss (JUST DON'T ATTACK HER!!!). A shield with high stability will make the skeleton wheels a lot easier

I've hit a brick wall named Knight Artorias in the DLC, and I'm starting to question the decisions I've made in my life that led me to getting killed by that fucker at least 30 times so far. But I must... finish... Dark Souls......!

Artorias was definitely one of the hardest bosses I fought. Both him and the next boss will maul you if you rely too much on blocking. If you're playing a fat-roller, you might look at trying a few times with less armor.

I've stripped down to 0 poise (thanks for the Anon cosplay Marvelous Chester) and I'm two handing a +5 Greatsword of Artorias (with a Grass Crest shield for the stamina) w/ the Havel ring and the Armour ring and Inner Power up. I can hit him for 900 but he just keeps tagging me with his back swings.  SO FRUSTRATING TT_________TT

Only other advise I can give is to go in there without any intention of actually damaging him and just practice dodging. There are definite tells that reveal if he's going to do a horizontal or vertical swing, and you can get some sense of what triggers him to go for multiple swings as well. Personally, I used a lot of sorceries, so the rest of my advice isn't really applicable to someone who's trying to do most of their damage with a weapon.

Recently I quit The Witcher 2, but for the silliest reason: fear of arachnids, or Endregas, to be more specific. The thing is that I really tried not to give up on it, I even completed the Endregas Contract with hopes to get rid of all those fucking creatures, but later I found that they still spawn, just in a lesser frequency.

It's such a shameful situation, I think my main problem with it is that they just appear out of nowhere, climbing down the trees, in a non-scripted frequency. The game just became unenjoyable because of this silly reason.

I recently quit GTA V.

I feel really bad about it. It's one of those games that I just sort of... assumed I wanted?

I'm a PC guy and haven't used a console in years. I bugged some friends and got a loan of a 360, bought the game (70 quid!!!!) and gave it a few evening's worth. I think I got to just after the heist where you have all three characters. It involved a helicopter, and sniping, and ... something. I don't really remember much except the nagging feeling that I wasn't really controlling anything that was happening. 

That was about two months ago and I haven't really thought about it since. The idea of plugging a separate box into a television that I barely use is something I can't bring myself to do anymore. When I'm at my PC I can game for a bit, alt-tab, check something on the internet, quit, start an adobe program or gamemaker, tinker with something. I prefer that.

This isn't really particular to GTA V I guess. But I'm pretty sure I would have quit at the same point if it were a PC version anyway. Sorry for the ramble! 

I recently quit GTA V.

I feel really bad about it. It's one of those games that I just sort of... assumed I wanted?

Hey me too! I recently quit because I wasn't having any fun with it. Reading all those 11/10 reviews saying how they've innovated to the max, and it's a new game because 3 characters made me think "ooh! something new!" 

Nope, it's the same game since GTA3. Yes there are cover mechanics which are ok, and there are special powers now. The driving feels better, but it's still just the same thing. I enjoyed driving around the massive area for a few hours, but once that was done it felt like GTA3 again. 

It's GTA though, I like GTA games...right? 

Yeah, GTA V's ugliness ultimately turned me off. IV wasn't the fantastic piece of storytelling people made it out to be but at least the story was front and center. Playing GTA V, all I could think was "are these really the guys that made GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption"? The game was just so bloody puerile. Rockstar's "satire" just felt sad and angry in GTA V. It made it very difficult for me to keep playing and so I gave up. 

It was also odd how dead the game felt. It just didn't feel like a lived in environment the way that IV (and even San Andreas) did. The heists were great but not good enough to keep me slogging away.

It was also odd how dead the game felt. It just didn't feel like a lived in environment the way that IV (and even San Andreas) did. The heists were great but not good enough to keep me slogging away.

''Dead'' is a good way to put it. I didn't feel excited to jump back into the game's world. 

I didn't mean to go off on one about the fact that it's a console game and I don't like consoles anymore. If the game was more compelling to me I would have stuck with it I'm sure.

Agreed about the parody stuff. That Facebook mission... ugh. 

''Dead'' is a good way to put it. I didn't feel excited to jump back into the game's world. 

Unfortunately, a ton of stuff is locked early in the game and doesn't become available until later on in the story. For me, personally, the game got much more awesome in the second half. There were some fantastic missions later on and the world really came alive for me once everything opened up. It's just too bad that it takes so long to unlock everything because it really sells the world short.

I actually don't have a lot of negative things to say about the story and presentation in GTAV. That's actually what worked best for me. They still convey a fantastic sense of place (they even modeled my apartment building in fake DTLS!). I just think GTA plays like garbage. There isn't a lot of mission variety and all the controls feel AWFUL. It's like you're doing everything in mud. They compensate for this by using this horrible snap to target auto aiming that makes combat a complete boring chore. I actually probably would have played a lot more GTA5 if the experience of interacting with it wasn't just an absolute nightmare.