Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

Apparently it got Greenlighted, I have only seen clips of the anime like I said before, and I assume that's the only reason it got Greenlighted, and boy are they going to be disappointed when they play it. 

It's been a few months since I popped in here to lament my failure to get on with a SNES classic and now I ask: am I the only one who doesn't like Super Castlevania IV?

I've been struggling through it for the last few days but I'm not getting any enjoyment out of it at this point (stage 8 or thereabouts) and I think I'm done as it's getting a bit hard now and my desire to plod on just to see what it's like is definitely waning. I don't really get the appeal at all - not a fan of the controls, the sheer numbers of flying enemies I'm too crap to be able to hit consistently makes me want to scream sometimes and it's just room after room of the same thing really with some beautifully ugly Mode 7 effects to break it up every half hour or so. I've actually been after this for years but had set a limit of £30 I wasn't willing to go over so it's sad how little I've ended up getting out of it, I was so hyped.

I've never been a big fan of Castlevania games in general, so I probably wouldn't like that game. In other words, you're... probably not the only one!

I enjoyed the first Castlevania.

But that's about it. I think I played one of the GBA ones, that was okay as well.

The others I just couldn't get in to.

I got a big "DEFEAT" screen on XCOM:EU today, after 22 battles (all wins). my early metagame was terrible and i lost ties with so many countries so early. it doomed me, even though i was engaging in the all the harder battles later on. in my very last battle i wiped out every enemy without any of them touching me, i was so happy. fuck that game

also I got to the boss fight at anor londo in Dark Souls recently, and it's honestly the only time that game has felt unfair. I haven't really enjoyed any boss fights to be honest, I get that they're there for pacing but the nature of the game's controls and mechanics doesn't lend itself to strategy very well, like a zelda game might for example, so it's usually just find a few seconds in the enemy pattern in which to swing wildly and deal some damage. hopefully I don't quit it entirely because I love the feeling of going through a level in dark souls for the first time

I know I'm not the only one who bought the Daedalic Humble Bundle, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first to play the Shakespeare games... They are HORRID!

I've played hidden object games, and frankly, this is more adventure game than hidden object game, but it's just dreadful...

It's just a bunch of shoehorned filler puzzles between scenes. Every sections seems to be: 

-Find a specific item.

-Oops, you need a specific item to get that item, for reasons!

-Repeat ad nauseum...

And the best part the game? The game based on Romeo & Juliet kinda skips the balcony scene! Well you do have to a bunch of stupid things to reach it, but they don't say the words you expect them to say.

The very next section is what made me quit, an abbot made me do some childish filler trials to prove that Romeo loves Juliet, the puzzles were so basic and made no sense for them to exist except as filler. What are a light beam puzzle and a water jug puzzle doing in a monastery in plain sight? How does this prove anything than I'm either smart or stubborn?

I got a big "DEFEAT" screen on XCOM:EU today, after 22 battles (all wins). my early metagame was terrible and i lost ties with so many countries so early. it doomed me, even though i was engaging in the all the harder battles later on. in my very last battle i wiped out every enemy without any of them touching me, i was so happy. fuck that game

also I got to the boss fight at anor londo in Dark Souls recently, and it's honestly the only time that game has felt unfair. I haven't really enjoyed any boss fights to be honest, I get that they're there for pacing but the nature of the game's controls and mechanics doesn't lend itself to strategy very well, like a zelda game might for example, so it's usually just find a few seconds in the enemy pattern in which to swing wildly and deal some damage. hopefully I don't quit it entirely because I love the feeling of going through a level in dark souls for the first time

Have you considered bringing in help to the Anor Londo boss fight? Many people would say that's the hardest fight in the game, but Soliare has a summon sign near the fog gate if you've kept up with his story up until now (make sure to talk to him repeatedly at the bonfire there in Anor Londo until he repeats the same thing.) Also, there's tons of people dropping co-op signs there, even know.

Also there's plenty of thumbs (me, Rodi for sure) that would be happy to help out :)

I have a sorcerer pretty much permanently ready to kill O&S because it's one of my favourite fights.

Have you considered bringing in help to the Anor Londo boss fight? Many people would say that's the hardest fight in the game, but Soliare has a summon sign near the fog gate if you've kept up with his story up until now (make sure to talk to him repeatedly at the bonfire there in Anor Londo until he repeats the same thing.) Also, there's tons of people dropping co-op signs there, even know.

I think I killed him at a point where I was going around killing NPCs out of boredom, because i'm a moron.

Also there's plenty of thumbs (me, Rodi for sure) that would be happy to help out :)

I have a sorcerer pretty much permanently ready to kill O&S because it's one of my favourite fights.

is it even possible to arrange for specific users to join you? i'm playing on PS3 by the way

Oh, I'm on PC. In general, yes it's possible. You just arrange (easiest via voice) a place where the person helping you will put down their summon sign, and pray to the dark gods of Souls' netcode.

I think I'm about to quit on King's Bounty: WotN.  It's more KB, which is awesome, but it's sooo much more.  It feels packed full of filler, like having to got through the same areas and clear them out multiple times.  The sheer scale of it is clubbing my enthusiasm to death.

I think I'm about to quit on King's Bounty: WotN.  It's more KB, which is awesome, but it's sooo much more.  It feels packed full of filler, like having to got through the same areas and clear them out multiple times.  The sheer scale of it is clubbing my enthusiasm to death.

I remember the day when I realized that the impossible scale of a game was killing my love for it. It was the day I became an old man.

That's why I cheated, making me so ridiculously strong the game become MUCH shorter. :P

(Or was that the Princess one? I know I beat both but I'm not sure if I cheated on both on them. *shrugs*)

I remember the day when I realized that the impossible scale of a game was killing my love for it. It was the day I became an old man.

That's funny.  As I've gotten older, I actually have favored shorter and shorter games (or games with a very long metagame like Dark Souls).  I love games that you can play through start-to-finish in a single evening.

I only just started playing Rogue Legacy, but I'm leaning towards quitting already.

While they're not all that similar in many ways, it's instructive to compare against Spelunky, which I've played about 20x as much and am still nowhere near tired of. In both games, levels are randomly generated, death is permanent, and a certain amount of player skill is required. But while Spelunky seems to expect and even welcome death, Rogue Legacy seems to punish it. Why when I die do I get booted all the way back to the main menu, then need to choose a new character, leave the castle, walk across a screen, confirm that yes, I really do want to try again, and walk across another screen before starting again? Seriously, that's a minimum of 30 seconds wasted every time, compared with Spelunky's single button press.

I know there are sometimes decisions to be made on those screens, but the fact that everything starts to require a minimum amount of gold to unlock (around 700 for me now) and you don't keep much between lives means that rather than contributing even slightly towards some goal, runs that earn less than a certain amount are just completely wasted.

I'm also pretty disappointed in the character trait system. When I first heard about the game I assumed there was some genetic algorithm, so the character you chose in one generation influenced the traits of the next. Nope! Everything's just totally random, and most of the traits have minor effect at best (apart from the ones that are seemingly super important, like being tiny so you can reach hidden treasure chests). This goes for class choice, too. Wanted to play the awesome new Shinobi you unlocked? Tough luck, you got a choice of three shitty wizards, go waste five minutes killing yourself so you can roll again.

I won't even go into detail about how all character upgrades are super expensive but give negligible benefit, the boss of the first world kills me every time within seconds of entering, or the fact that (as I only just discovered) apparently enemies scale with me!! What's the fucking point of grinding for hours improving my character if it gets me nowhere? At this point I'd rather just be playing a hardcore platformer like La-Mulana; at least then I'd know I was failing because I suck as a player and not because I haven't unlocked the right upgrade or spent enough time on it.

Grargh. I feel like there's a good game in here somewhere, I just don't agree with so many of the design choices.

It sounds like you're getting caught by some of the RPG trappings of Rogue Legacy? I mean, if you're bouncing off the game, you're bouncing off the game, but the expectation that grinding for hours in a roguelike should get you somewhere is a really odd expectation. New equipment definitely helps you do better, but then you've got to survive long enough in the castle to start finding equipment.

But I think if you're expecting Spelunky and La-Mulana, Rogue Legacy isn't for you. It's a much more sedate game.

I think Rogue Legacy embraces death more than Spelunky does.  When you die in Spelunky, you've gained nothing except perhaps some proficiency at the game and maybe some knowledge of the environment.  When you die in Rogue Legacy, you gain those same things but also gold and equipment to improve your next run, none of which you can use until you die.  Calling the menu a punishment seems a bit harsh because you're supposed to think about the choices you make before entering the castle again.  Maybe you don't like it and that's fine, but comparing it to Spelunky's instant restart isn't a fair comparison because it was never meant to be that.

You eventually start hitting long, epic runs in RL the same as Spelunky, at which point the 30 seconds to restart is by a tiny fraction of the whole time you are playing.  And the amount of gold you're raking in spikes way up as well.

And with the ability to lock down the castle, you can make short runs to go get chests that are likely to have diagrams in them, or the gems you use to enchant equipment, which makes the game exponentially easier. 

That said, I think the game does have some very deep flaws that keep it from transcending to the level of something like Spelunky.  The genetic trait is ultimately more gimmick than mechanic.  And it needs a bit more variety.  While each of Spelunky's words feels unique versus the others, the areas in RL mostly just feel like a change in decoration to me.  Though there is supposed to be a patch/expansion coming out that is adding a bunch of stuff to it.  It might already be out, I hadn't bothered checking for awhile.

Edited to add: Yeah, in an interview back in September they said they would be patching in more content, but nothing new since then.

the expectation that grinding for hours in a roguelike should get you somewhere is a really odd expectation.

Oh, definitely. I'd never expect that in other roguelikes because they're clear up front that success is only about player skill and knowledge, and you keep nothing from one game to the next. I played hundreds of hours of Nethack in the early '00s without ever even completing a class quest, and was totally fine with that.

I think I just got the wrong initial impression from RL, that it was more of a compromise and had a focus on slowly building up your character. Which, apart from mob scaling, seems to be true! It's just that skill is still way more important than I expected.

You eventually start hitting long, epic runs in RL the same as Spelunky, at which point the 30 seconds to restart is by a tiny fraction of the whole time you are playing.  And the amount of gold you're raking in spikes way up as well.

And with the ability to lock down the castle, you can make short runs to go get chests that are likely to have diagrams in them, or the gems you use to enchant equipment, which makes the game exponentially easier.

It's good to hear that. It might not be in the spirit of this thread, but I think I will stick with it for a while longer. I discovered that a workmate has just started playing too (and has already beaten the first two bosses :angry:), so that's a pretty good incentive to keep going.

I guess I've quit FAR CRY 3 BLOOD DRAGON. I played it for about 2 hours... Maybe less

It was funny for 5 minutes. shooting people with the bow is still awesome! But the rest of the guns felt underpowered and a bit naff. It all started to drag. The looking around controls were super loose, but that's more a problem with the duel shock joy pad.

But the nail in the coffin was being 'taught' how to stealth and having to painstakingly crawl slowly past a group of the titular blood dragons. It's one thing choosing to spend 5minutes slowly crawl around a camp stalking you prey it quite another being forced to spend 5minutes in a slow crawl. FUCK YOU I WONT DO YOU YOU TELL ME

I guess I've quit FAR CRY 3 BLOOD DRAGON. I played it for about 2 hours... Maybe less

It was funny for 5 minutes. shooting people with the bow is still awesome! But the rest of the guns felt underpowered and a bit naff. It all started to drag. The looking around controls were super loose, but that's more a problem with the duel shock joy pad.

But the nail in the coffin was being 'taught' how to stealth and having to painstakingly crawl slowly past a group of the titular blood dragons. It's one thing choosing to spend 5minutes slowly crawl around a camp stalking you prey it quite another being forced to spend 5minutes in a slow crawl. FUCK YOU I WONT DO YOU YOU TELL ME

That exact same thing happened to me aswell! played 2 hours, gave up. The trailer was better than the actual game.

Augh... Shadow Warrior 2013 is really getting on my nerves, the game FORCES you to kill EVERY enemy before letting you continue and the pacing is terrible...

I'm at level six and the objective still hasn't changed... get the sword. The fact the levels and enemies are repetitive as hell isn't helping. It's an obvious case of "Let's make this game ten times longer because gamers think games should be longer even though the pacing, level design and mechanics will make you wish we didn't make this game so long".

Since I kinda liked the original, I'm still thinking of quitting instead of just quitting directly.

Sheesh, I'm practically avoiding AAA games because they are constantly making them 90% filler, but if smaller games are doing this too.... I don't know what I'll do. 

Please, tell me the pacing or something gets better eventually in this game. :|

OK, I gave the game another chance and played another level, it's was a pure slog of finding statues that acted as keycards, with constant lazy lockdown arenas and they introduced a new annoying enemy that spawned skeletons constantly and raised a shield... because filler!

After finally getting the sword... the game says this is just a part of the sword and we need more parts... And then gives you a boss battle where the sword is useless.

And to make things worse it's one of those bosses that you have to spend ages for it to reveal it's weak point and you can only do minor damage before you have to start over again. 

That's it.... I quit! You can tell from the references that these guys love Croteam and the enemies feels Serious Sam-esque... But you don't fight them in a SS-esque way, none of the weapons are good for crowd control... even the explosive ones are pathetic even on the easiest setting. The sword powers aren't that useful either. Why make a game where you usually have to fight a horde of monsters at a time but make it very hard to hit more than one at a time?

OK, here's one that shouldn't be here: Superbrother: Swords & Sworcery EP.

It's a small game concerned with atmosphere, whose gameplay is about light [touch] discovery. Thing is, the controls make it painfully clear this is an iPad game converted to PC in the worst way possible. Controlling this thing is a drag - literally - where you're constantly fighting against the mouse in even the simplest interaction of walking your character from one scene to the other. The point where I quit was during a boss fight in the second episode (of five, so I didn't even get far). Apart from the huge amount of time it took for the boss to get going, it was just frustrating. On an iPad you might be able to point and touch the right area quickly, but with the mouse it's cumbersome and unintuitive. At this point, all the joy had been drained away. The only reason I wanted to finish this was so I could finish it. What a downer.

I started that (on a Nexus 7) earlier this week and I was wondering how that came across on a PC. I've only just done that boss myself and I'm not in love with it either. It's a shame as the first twenty minutes or so are quite promising - I like how it looks, soundtrack is nice, seemed pretty interesting. Hold a thing and then tap or rub another thing does not make for a compelling game experience though, even with touchscreen controls.