Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

The only Quantic Dream game i've played was Omikron, which i remember thinking to be kind of a fascinating trainwreck.

Well, beyond is winging its way to me in the post. I'll make a start on it over the weekend as England are playing tomorrow night and I have to drink beer and pretend I give a shit.

I am pretty sure I'll never actually play Modern Warfare 1. I feel, on the one hand, like I should, that it apparently does interesting things with the medium; on the other hand it's so goddamned po-faced and surely everyone's stolen any neat tricks it once had and put them in games that aren't military fantasies.

I am pretty sure I'll never actually play Modern Warfare 1. I feel, on the one hand, like I should, that it apparently does interesting things with the medium; on the other hand it's so goddamned po-faced and surely everyone's stolen any neat tricks it once had and put them in games that aren't military fantasies.

I played Modern Warfare 2 and it convinced me never to touch a Modern Warfare game again. I hadn't quite realized how pointless the games were. I'm terrible at video games despite my love for them, but the Modern Warfare gameplay (at least in the one game I played) seemed almost automated.

As for the content, yeah... not my cup of tea. The approach anyway.

The first Modern Warfare has a very cool sneaking/sniping mission set in Pripyat, but it mainly makes me want to play STALKER.

CoD4 does that thing where the

player character is close enough to a nuclear detonation to get a clear view and a full dose of the radiation, setting into motion an inevitable fate. It plays out in a fairly guided sequence where the player is basically left to wander helplessly looking for a solution that does not exist. You die, you lose, and it's part of the story.

It's a great little sequence, it was actually pretty surprising and affecting the first time through.

Then it became a trope, sequel escalation sets in and it becomes something they try to do multiple times in a single game. Look at all this narrative and emotional weight they're throwing at you, can't you FEEEEL it?

I'm this close to quitting Tomba 2, Tomba 1 was such a magnificent game and the sequel... add terrible voice acting, the kind that isn't even funny, takes away the 2D art and makes it looks 3D and awful and the gameplay...

Ugh... Remember how the bosses were too easy? Now they are just frustrating, you have to throw them into the bag three time, and while it's not harder to stay alive, it's harder to catch them and the bag is now super far away so you can't gauge the throw well, making every battle take too long.

The missions are just more of the same only easier and less fun, I'm just not feeling it.

Has anybody played the Tomba sequel? Does get better or worse after the first two pigs?

GTA V - Trevor was totally irredeemable IMO and I just hated the game after that one awful scene. If it was supposed to be satire, I couldn't tell.

Despite solid mechanics I just found GTA V mean-spirited in a way I did not perceive previous GTA titles and that really turned me off.

GTA V - Trevor was totally irredeemable IMO and I just hated the game after that one awful scene. If it was supposed to be satire, I couldn't tell.

Despite solid mechanics I just found GTA V mean-spirited in a way I did not perceive previous GTA titles and that really turned me off.

This guy gets it. The game isn't dumb, it's cruel.

I'm still slowly slogging through GTA V, but that mission definitely put a damper on my enjoyment, especially when I finished it and failed to achieve a 100% rating because I didn't <spoiler> the guy in the right order or whatever. It's hard to appreciate that they might have intended it to be some kind of satire or commentary when it ends in such a hilariously gamey way.

Then it became a trope, sequel escalation sets in and it becomes something they try to do multiple times in a single game. Look at all this narrative and emotional weight they're throwing at you, can't you FEEEEL it?

You know it's bad when they hyped up how realistic the dog is in the new one, and how emotionally invested you'll be in it, and literally everyone on the internet went "oh, I can't wait until it dies."

I stopped playing the campaigns after MW2, but it'd gotten comically overwrought even by that point. I think part of what made it so effective in 4 was, besides being kind of unprecedented, it made total sense in the context of the mission it took place in, instead of just being tacked onto the end as a silly shock value thing.

You're clearly warned that the bomb is set to go off, but your squad chooses to stay behind and rescue the stragglers because "no man left behind, hoo-rah." In pretty much any other action game, or movie for that matter, you would have rescued them and escaped with moments to spare, completely justifying the decision to act heroically. The fact that your gambit doesn't pay off both comes as a surprise while also feeling like a completely natural consequence of the decisions made beforehand.

I guess I'm quitting Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, it was getting a bit tedious before, and I was getting close, but... the boss I reached is just broken.

I'm playing on casual and the boss is way too demanding for a game where you can't really heal. He's really hard to dodge and really hard to hit, it's one of those "dodge perfectly or die for a minute and then you can take a tiny notch of my life bar" bosses.

Why does the game keep giving me bazookas and such when the bosses can only take a small percentage of damage before restarting their bloody pattern? I'm better off with the pistol. 

It's rather weird to finally quit a game because it's actually too hard/broken, but I'm not going to put up with such an annoying boss, it's like a Mega Man boss on steroids. Which is probably why it's annoying so much, it feel like a boss from a different game, one the game hasn't prepared me for and I shouldn't be able to fight, but at least it's not a bullet hell boss? Either way, I'm quitting, it's just not worth it. :|

We need a :baby: emoticon :)

Wait... there is a Bionic Commando Rearmed 2?!

Yep, the fact that so little people knew it existed, including me before buying it, proves how "amazing" this game is. It's just like the old NES you used to love... broken, like the memories of how "good" games used to be.

I got Remember Me for free on PSN+ and... it's actually pretty forgettable, I'm halfway through and it's just a game with mediocre "Arkham Aslyum" fighting and mediocre climbing with a girl constantly wondering if what she's doing is right or not.

Should I bother finishing it? I'm pretty sure the ending won't surprise me.

Quit it, it doesn't get any better. No real surprises at the end, In fact I didn't real like the ending it all got a bit silly

Too late, and yeah, it wasn't really that good, but it didn't get any worse. I'll probably say more about in the appropriate thread.

Risen 2: I enjoyed and completed the first game but the inconceivable lack of Dodge or Roll on the console port of this sequel made combat zero fun. Too bad, I was enjoying the story and Risen elements going on otherwise. But seriously: no dodge or roll in a brawling RPG???

This is something of a call for help because I don't want to quit the game. Especially since I had only just started.

Like everyone else I have a backlog of Steam games. I decided to install and play Magicka finally. I had heard it was awesome because of the spell crafting in it and woohoo.

But getting hands on with the game, not having watched any footage before, really let me down. The game feels clunky and funky to control. Combat is too fast paced for me to consider careful combinations of spells. And it's too easy to accidentally screw up a spell combination by throwing in an element that counters another that's present. It's also frustrating to cast those special recipe spells. They should just cast with the regular casting button, but instead you have THREE spell cast buttons (self, project, and then the "charge" or recipe button).

I'm frustrated and am stuck wishing this game was something else than what it is, because what it was described as sounds amazing. As it is, I'm just picking Lightning and Fire repeatedly to chain-lightning enemies and also set them on fire. Repeat infinitely. I don't bother trying to heal NPCs because enemies just get in the effing way and kill NPCs faster than I could even heal them anyway.

Magicka single-player is really not all that fun. It only truly shines with a bunch of friends who are either in the same room or on voice chat together. The chaos you get that way is amazing especially if people start experimenting to find all the weird combinations.

I really disliked magicka. The whole spell crafting was just horrible.

Magicka is fun with other people for about 10 minutes, but once the hilarity of crazy chaotic magic getting thrown everywhere wears off, it's annoying as hell.

I didn't get a chance to play Magicka with anyone else.

By itself, I found it a little fun, but just not enough to keep me going throughout the entire game. Plus I found it incredibly difficult, requiring constant maintenance of my shield and health in the middle of being attacked by like a dozen people.

Does the game scale up with more people, or is it straight up meant to be played with more than one person at all times? Because I found it really really tough to try and slog my way through...

I gave up on Magicka after the person I played it with wouldn't stop blowing me up with a fire AOE because he found it endlessly hilarious. It was then that I realised mana bars exist for a reason.

I gave up on Higurashi When They Cry, It's more of a visual novel than anything.... After five hours it's just not worth it, I just googled the anime and watched the most interested things and considered it done.

For a visual novel, they are almost no visuals, and it's just taking too long for anything to happen, the anime makes it seems like this should be an gory eroge game, but... NOTHING is happening, so I assume they condensed the story for the anime and made it more perverted and gory.

After five hours the worst thing that happens to the main character is a needle in his food and the idiot is still in some sort of denial or something... he keeps making excuses to continue acting like everything is normal. 

Maybe it's a good anime or manga, but it's a terrible visual novel, terribly pacing, terrible visuals, terrible writing, terrible everything.

I gave up on Higurashi When They Cry, It's more of a visual novel than anything.... After five hours it's just not worth it, I just googled the anime and watched the most interested things and considered it done.

For a visual novel, they are almost no visuals, and it's just taking too long for anything to happen, the anime makes it seems like this should be an gory eroge game, but... NOTHING is happening, so I assume they condensed the story for the anime and made it more perverted and gory.

After five hours the worst thing that happens to the main character is a needle in his food and the idiot is still in some sort of denial or something... he keeps making excuses to continue acting like everything is normal. 

Maybe it's a good anime or manga, but it's a terrible visual novel, terribly pacing, terrible visuals, terrible writing, terrible everything.

Well, thank you for turning me off the Higurashi VN forever. That was something that really did need doing.