Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

It has some great moments. The Geth/Quarian storyline as well as the Krogan one were some of the most impressive storytelling of the series.

I still enjoy the combat as well. The coop mode was very fun for a while.

Lastly, I hear the citadel DLC is the best thing ever. Haven't played it yet though. Hoping to restart the game from 1 with a new character so all my changes carry over. That was the one thing really holding me back from truly enjoying 3. (Jumped from 360 to PC and lost my saves between 2 and 3)

Some of the recent games i wasn't having fun with and therefor never came back to.

Borderlands 2

I like the art style and thought that i would dig the loot driven gameplay, but don't. The game itself seems to be focused around team play, but i'm playing it on my own and find it hard as hell. My weapons always felt weak and the enemies would zerg me down, before i had any chance to blast them down.

Dishonored

Another game i bought because i liked the art style and holy crap it's good, but the whole setting of the game made me fucking depressed. I also felt that it judged you for killing people, backed up by the dark nature of the game i therefor played it non lethal and it burned me out.

Dirt 3

I played this one for about 2 hours, but the constant spam trying to make me buy their dlc made me leave it.

I've finished Borderlands 2 pretty much on my own. I was sometimes challenging, but never really impossible. There are some extra side quest which become available at some point which are insanely difficult to finish on your own (pretty much impossible, although I came close once).

The game is quite long though, so I can understand the fun stopping at some point (although it wasn't as tedious as Borderlands 1 became at some point).

I really wanted to like borderlands 2, but almost every fight felt to hard. I was playing it on a ps3 and i'm not that great with the controls on there, so that might also have a part in why i found it so difficult. 

Quit battlefield 3 single player after about 15mins. Dog shit. Highlight of my time with it was emptying 200 rounds in to a school bus.

I think I'm going to take another try at borderlands 2 tonight. I keep bouncing off it--all of the enemies feel so bullet-spongey and while I like the visual asthetic I don't think the game is as funny as the game believes it is. I'm going to try playing it couch-and-controller this time. Maybe it will stick that way! 

Grab some guns from the golden key box and things get a lot easier. Too easy if you ask me.

Grab some guns from the golden key box and things get a lot easier. Too easy if you ask me.

I had no idea how to get the skeleton keys to open those :(

You have to register to some ridiculous gearbox thing and look for codes in Facebook or Twitter or whatever.

I also think I'm done with Borderlands 2 after killing the millionth guy that was running towards me. I'm simply not enjoying the combat, and it does not seem to be changing anytime soon.

Does Shadowrun have cloud-saving?

If not I guess I'm quitting it :P

Going back from my vacation and I'm not going to play all that again.

It seems to have some mechanism for cloud saves. It doesn't seem to use the normal Steam cloud stuff, but apparently does still save games to a cloud. (Allegedly, i haven't had reason to test it myself.)

Does anyone think there is a way to convince the majority of game players that demanding a game that is  50 hours long as opposed to a more polished 5 hour experience is detrimental to most game development? How do we prove that smaller is better?

strap them to a chair Clockwork Orange style and make them play Journey

I really need to get back at Borderlands 2, and apparently I "need" to finish Blood Dragon just to see the ending and have the final weapon, but I dunno if I want to bother...

Does anyone think there is a way to convince the majority of game players that demanding a game that is  50 hours long as opposed to a more polished 5 hour experience is detrimental to most game development? How do we prove that smaller is better?

There is room for both types of games. For every person who has more money than time (as I do now) there is a person who has much more time than money (as I was in college.)

There is room for both types of games. For every person who has more money than time (as I do now) there is a person who has much more time than money (as I was in college.)

I agree. Also, even for those of us who do have limited time now, there's nothing wrong with a game that goes and goes and goes. I am enjoying Guild Wars 2 a lot, for example. It will take me forever to get to level cap but I'm confident I'll get there. I finished The Last of Us and played a fair bit of multiplayer. It is up to us how to spend our time, after all. I sure as heck don't want an eight hour Elder Scrolls game.

I wouldn't pay $60 for Journey. Apples and oranges, IMO.

Yup, this. It's all well and good to wish for a more polished five hour experience, but (a) that wouldn't necessarily happen across the board anyway and (B) I would not feel comfortable paying $50 or $60 for a five hour game, most of the time. You can talk about how much it costs to go to the cinema and any other example you want, but that's how I feel about it. 

Now, I have a whole list of games on my Steam list waiting to be played, but that's a whole different discussion. In essence, my decision to quit games (which I do all the time!) is rarely tied to the length of the story. If I like the game I'll keep playing. If I drop out, I drop out.

It's all well and good to wish for a more polished five hour experience, but (a) that wouldn't necessarily happen across the board anyway and ( B) I would not feel comfortable paying $50 or $60 for a five hour game, most of the time. You can talk about how much it costs to go to the cinema and any other example you want, but that's how I feel about it. 

Right. I mean, I loved Flower and Journey, but no way are they worth that kind of money to me. And I will lean towards long games over short, all other things being equal (i.e. both games are in a genre I like, well reviewed by people I trust etc.), because for me, it just feels like value for money, and games are expensive. I'm more inclined to pick up the shorter games once they are budget/on sale. Which I guess makes me part of the problem, but yeah, limited budget dictates I go for most bang-for-buck. Of course, I enjoy 'epic' length games like Fallout 3 and Borderlands (I waited and got GOTY with all the DLC), so I guess I have a pretty high tolerance for repetition.

I guess it’s also worth noting though that with the odd idiosyncratic exception, I’m basically only likely to be buying games that get 9’s or 10’s (from people I trust) from now until the end of this console cycle, because time and budget dictates that that’s all I can do. So maybe at that point length is less of an issue. I wonder how many 7’s would be 8’s or 8.5’s if not for being too long? Can anyone think of an 8 or lower that would have been a 9 for them but for length (i.e. too long)? I really can’t off-hand…

I like this thread. There are times when I'm playing through something and not really feeling it but trying to justify a purchase and the title, word for word, pops into my head and I feel empowered enough to bin it and not feel bad about it.

Gyakuten Saiban 2, aka Phoenix Wright: Something or Other - I don't get the appeal of these at all. I played through two cases the first of which had no evidence-gathering stage and was alright, the second did and was a tedious journey from screen to screen scrolling through unfunny dialogue trying to keep my mind focused on what I was learning and not on what I could be playing instead. The humour and attempted characterisation falls very flat for me which is maybe why others seem so into it but I dunno. The rare moments when you are presenting evidence to break "psyche-locks" or prove something in court are fantastic but are so few and far between, the remainder of the game I found utterly excruciating with nothing to recommend it.

My wife is really into those, but I feel much the same way that you do. There was a Birdman: Attorney at Law game that works on a similar formula, and I wanted to bust my eardrums with an ice pick by the time I was done with it.

I like this thread. There are times when I'm playing through something and not really feeling it but trying to justify a purchase and the title, word for word, pops into my head and I feel empowered enough to bin it and not feel bad about it.

Gyakuten Saiban 2, aka Phoenix Wright: Something or Other - I don't get the appeal of these at all. I played through two cases the first of which had no evidence-gathering stage and was alright, the second did and was a tedious journey from screen to screen scrolling through unfunny dialogue trying to keep my mind focused on what I was learning and not on what I could be playing instead. The humour and attempted characterisation falls very flat for me which is maybe why others seem so into it but I dunno. The rare moments when you are presenting evidence to break "psyche-locks" or prove something in court are fantastic but are so few and far between, the remainder of the game I found utterly excruciating with nothing to recommend it.

Wait, did you... there's a few things i'm not clear about here.

Did you play the first game? It's a series that should be taken in order.

There's also some pretty huge differences between Gyakuten Saiban and the localized form of the series, so unless you actually played the japanese game, it's not really appropriate to call it Gyakuten Saiban.

The first cases are also always just glorified tutorials, while the cases that immediately follow are likewise pretty low key. (There's usually four or five cases in each game.)

That's all i'll argue for it, because it's still a pretty dumb thing and it's definitely not for everyone. I love that series though.

I wouldn't pay $60 for Journey. Apples and oranges, IMO.

In my experience, a majority of 50hr $60 video games actually secretly cost $15 (if you have patience and a Steam account). 

Wait, did you... there's a few things i'm not clear about here.

Did you play the first game? It's a series that should be taken in order.

There's also some pretty huge differences between Gyakuten Saiban and the localized form of the series, so unless you actually played the japanese game, it's not really appropriate to call it Gyakuten Saiban.

The first cases are also always just glorified tutorials, while the cases that immediately follow are likewise pretty low key. (There's usually four or five cases in each game.)

That's all i'll argue for it, because it's still a pretty dumb thing and it's definitely not for everyone. I love that series though.

I played about the same amount of the first game back in 2006 or so and didn't like it much then either. I thought that maybe as my taste has changed so much since then and I've thoroughly enjoyed some vaguely similar, very wordy games since (999, VLR, Ghost Trick even) that I might get into it this time but it was quite the opposite clearly.

It is the Japanese release I have and I got it for free which is why I started with it rather than the first one again. I'm sure I read somewhere the translation used in the first couple is the same that was used in the US and European releases? Could be wrong though. It's littered with spelling mistakes but I've read enough poorly-OCR'd Kindle books by this point that I'm immune to it.

That's right, right. The japanese versions do have an early variant of the localized text, but it's supposed to very rough relative to what ended up in the released english games.

I was more referencing that there are some pretty significant story discrepancies between the japanese text and the english text, but that's obviously not a concern here.

If you played and enjoyed Ghost Trick in the interim between trying those two Ace Attorney games, i'm surprised that the series still didn't click. Ghost Trick was from the same game director and shares a lot of similar narrative sensibilities.

Same director, eh? Ghost Trick definitely made me think of Phoenix Wright and it’s what put me in the mood to start it but I loved the dialogue and characters in that game, there was literal laughing out loud at points, whereas in this it’s really clunky and full of forced wackiness that just irritates me. Some of it will be the translation but I guess another part of it will be that the first two Phoenix Wright games are really old now by comparison. Does the series get any better once you get past the GBA games? I bought Gyakuten Saiban 3 before I even started the second one because it was cheap and I was so sure I’d be into it, not sure if that’s still a GBA conversion though.

Look at me, trying so hard to like a thing even when I’ve already got hundreds of hours worth of other games to play.