Tanukitsune

Quitter's Club: Don't be ashamed to quit the game.

I don't feel there's any shame in failing to finish a game. I've probably finished fewer games than I've abandoned—more due to time constraints than anything else—but I don't consider the time I spent with those unfinished games as wasted. I feel more strongly about the games I'd like to spend more time playing, but aren't currently able to—for me it's Skyrim, something I know has a lot more to offer but has sat on the shelf for months and months.

Bottom line is: games should be enjoyable or rewarding experiences in one way or another. If a game isn't doing anything for you, there's no point sinking hours into it out of a sense of duty.

I quit on TL2. My issue wasn't connection issues it was social issues. Yet another game that wants me to create yet another login and yet another seperate friends list to play on. I just really don't find that kind of thing acceptable anymore. In an era with Steam, facebook, openID, google, etc etc. There are a zillion ways to sign into something almost all of which carry with them some kind of contact list. I really wanted to get through TL2 but I ideally wanted to play it with a friend or two and that never really seemed to workout.

Oh yea, that's another thing. When we first started playing, my friend had to link his account thing. So it asks you to log in to the Steam website. The friggin website kept saying his login info was wrong, while it wasn't. It got to the point where he did screen share so I could see what he was doing and yea. He logged in and out with Steam with his credentials, did the same on the website and that didn't work. Bizarre. After an hour and trying like different browsers, it finally just went through. Anyway, the point being is that everyone had the game installed, we were looking forward to playing, but now you have to deal with that shit for over an hour.

This might be a real "quit", but the new Devil May Cry keeps deleting my save files.... I was more than halfway through the game the second time. If this doesn't get fixed I will "officially" quit. I certainly won't play anymore since I can see the save files, but they are being ignored by the game.

Here's a potential fix for you. Disable Steam Cloud saves for that game. right click on DmC>Properties>Updates> and unmark "enable steam cloud".

I don't know if that help (if so, thanks), but since I had the old save files, I copied them, created a new game and overwrote the old with the new save file and I'm right where I left off! HUZZAH! (I don't dare to turn off the game though).

Well, it's been about a week since I stopped playing so I think it's safe to say that I've given up on Hitman: Absolution. For the most part I enjoyed the game for what it was, a decent stealth game wearing Agent 47s suit, fibre wire, and bar coded, bald head. The game also had a few fun missions the involved taking out two or three targets on a map (notably the Chinatown missions). Actually, I found the entire first act where you're in Chicago(?) to be pretty well executed. Unfortunately around the time the stripper nuns showed up, the game began to erode my patience and I was slowly burning out. By the time the final mission rolled around, I had to turn the game off to go out for the night and now have no desire to boot it back up to finish it off.

I definitely have come around to this view where I just stop playing games as soon as they start to feel like a slog. I loved Dark Souls, for example, but as I was getting near the end of the game I just suddenly felt like I had gotten everything out of that game that I was going to get out of it, so I just stopped. Every once in awhile I contemplated getting back into it, but never doing it, and now I'm at the point where if I were to restart I would need to relearn the whole game so it is kind of pointless now.

To expand upon this earlier post, it occurred to me that I just give up on RPGs all the time. Between the lengthy time commitment, and the many systems you need to be aware of, it is just too demanding of my time. I can't take a week or two off, and get back into things, which means I just end up never returning to the game. This happened not only with Dark Souls, but also the Witcher 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles. Also, I think I've only completed one Final Fantasy game (9 I think...). Much more commonly I make my way to the final boss, realize I still have hours of more grinding to do, and decide, ehh, good enough.

All the games. It's a rare game that I play to completion. My butterfly-mind is too easily distracted to give most games their due. Casting a blood-shot eye over my Steam list, the last game I completed (the main story, at least) was Mark of the Ninja, and before that Arkham City. For someone who buys at least a game a month, that's poor. Oh, and Torchlight 2 too.

And the games that I "complete" aren't really complete because I'll keep chipping away at them for weeks, approaching but never quite reaching 100%. Either I play a game for a few minutes and never look at it again, or I play it for many hours a day for a fortnight until something else comes along and it gets shuffled to the back burner, where it languishes until I need the precious bytes.

I'm sitting on a pile of like eight half-finished RPG's that i haven't quite given up on yet.

And the games that I "complete" aren't really complete because I'll keep chipping away at them for weeks, approaching but never quite reaching 100%.

Same, and I think it's one of the worst aspects of many games now: It's nice to have a few more challenges that let you linger in a world, but too often the addictive design of the challenges that build up to that 100% just kept me thrashing at it until all joy was gone and I was just frittering away time.

Tick avatar: :tup:

Max Payne 3. I was bored and tired last night and had about an hour of gaming in me before it was time to hit the hay. Had this game eating up hard drive space so I figured, what the hell, let's see what it's all about.

Ok, so from what I can tell Rockstar took the original formula and then squeezed it into the run and gun mission format of their GTA series. You're running down narrow corridors with no possibility to flank and just pointing and shooting where the game tells you to. It's a modern day ultra-scripted shooter where you can occasionally dive (i won't even add bullet time as most shooters already have that). And while you can dive there has been absolutely no reason to thus far and I'm not sticking around to see if that changes. From what I hear it doesn't really.

And the story is shit. It's predicating on you remembering the first two games really well as it gives you no refresher of any kind. Max just starts off super grumpy and comically drugged and drunk. He's always going on about "why am I doing this, why am I here?" That's a good question, Max. Why am I in a helicopter sniping guys on a rooftop in a franchise that was supposed to be about nutty gun fights from an 80's John Woo flick set in gritty subways and whorehouses instead of some wanky architecture school dropout's levels?

Rockstar really wants this to be a film, it's so very clear. And they have the ability to do so here much moreso than in the GTA games. Except so far the writing sounds like a bad parody and the editing and effects look like someone just found their way into Final Cut's effects suite. The video distortion is overblown and overused and really doesn't have much to do with the noir themes of the narrative. I have too much other good stuff to play to put up with all these negatives in the hope the game opens up later. I get to walk around with a giant hammer and eat people in Fallout NV. What am I doing here is right, Max!

First quit game: Pokemon yellow way back in...1999 I think. I was in the 6th grade and we were doing a bunch of activity stuff for the last day of school and I got to bring my gameboy. I was on the elite 4 and my teacher told me to come over and do something. So I turned it off (in the middle of battle!) and never picked it up :/

Recently:

Far Cry 2: I don't like it, respawning checkpoints and constant firefights. It's like, I'm single handedly slaughtering small armies and they keep trying to kill me, shouldn't you be running? 

Hotline Miami: Yeah I'm tired of restarting the same level 100x, too stressful to be fun or worth playing

Red Faction: Armageddon. A boring 3rd person *gears of war clooone*. 

Really what happens is I guess I stop being engaged in the game. The last game I completed was NFS: The Run and that was because it's relatively short and mostly entertaining. I don't have a lot of free time anymore to grind out to level 99 in a JRPG.

I haven't touched it in months, and now it's time to take the shortcut off the desktop: I'm not going to finish it, indie and Idle Thumb darling that it is.

FTL just feels random. The tactical battles are great, but the "dungeon maps" are not what I look for in a roguelike, which folks seem content to label this game as.

For a while, I would actually sketch out a path among the points in a system, assuming that the less-than-direct paths would somehow reap greater or stranger rewards. I assumed this, because the idea that they would be flat dice rolls was too lazy or bland, and because exploring a map always got me cooler stuff before (Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, Flotilla, Space Rangers). Instead, it just gets me another dice roll, dependent on some weather factors and little else.

I haven't reached the end boss, and from the descriptions I've read of it, it doesn't sound like it's much fun to grind toward.

"Sounds like you're playing the game wrong, man!" Nah, just playing the wrong game.

There is something unfinished about this game. I have a lower than average Thumb ability to describe exactly why. I hope it comes around for an expansion or two, it doesn't feel like it should be done with itself. It's a real one of a kind at the moment, but that doesn't mean it's the best it could be!

Hope to see you around again, FTL.

I haven't touched it in months, and now it's time to take the shortcut off the desktop: I'm not going to finish it, indie and Idle Thumb darling that it is.

FTL just feels random. The tactical battles are great, but the "dungeon maps" are not what I look for in a roguelike, which folks seem content to label this game as.

This was why I quit Binding of Issac, eventually skill is outpaced by random chance, and you essentially have to keep hitting the button enough times to roll a 20. And since so much of the game is based on practice, you never get to try again at the harder levels with any kind of frequency. 

FTL became a lot easier when I unlocked the 2nd ship. I had a bunch of middling sessions, and the first trip out I made it to the very end (except for the final boss, who is way too hard)

Reversal! I'm picking up a game I quit a few months ago: Minish Cap! I'm still not really satisfied with it and especially after Nintendo's DS Zeldas this one is just poor all around, but I'm powering through it because I want to have it finished. Secretly, I've even taken a liking to the kinstone system of fusing with every person in the world. It's a relatively smart way to increase the interactivity with the usually bland and useless NPCs.

Minish Cap kind of emphasizing the idea that you should try to collect everything, and then being one of the few Zelda games with missables, sort of made me hate it. (That and the maze-like overworld that is a complete pain in the ass to backtrack across.)

Didn't the European version version had things "cut out"? As in for some reason they released in in Europe first and then added a few things and released in the US?

I had to quit a "greenlight" contender called Gear Jack, it's an obvious iOS port, only the idea doesn't work well on PC. It's an eternal runner, except it does actually end and it has a leveling system, which kinda ruin the game. Not to mention that having to do Super Meat Boy stunt while clicking on levers and buttons on screen doesn't work on PC.

The reason the leveling ruins the game is that you can "level" the running, which not only speeds up the game and makes it harder, but at the same time it extends the arch of the jump. Which means in many situations you will always die because you jump too long if your level is too high or if you "de-level" there are jump you just can't make. I just got fed up of having to restart a level and respect because of this reason. It's a not a timing issue, you can actually slow down time, it's bloody arch that changes with the level. :(

Infamous 2

X, X, Radar, X, X, X, Radar, Blast Shard, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, Blast shard, Radar, Blast Shard, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, Radar, X, X, X, Radar, Blast Shard, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, Radar, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, Radar, Blast shard, Blast shard, Blast shard, Blast shard, Blast shard, Blast shard.

oh right... I also have that one on my list of games to finish. I can't recall why I even bought it. I did finish Infamous 1, which I got in exchange for having my private info leak.

There are certainly a list of games I need to complete or simply start but I do plan on getting to them some day.  I'm not really ashamed of purchasing a game and not finding enough attention or determination to finish it.  However, I have not just rage quit but rage sold a game in the past.  That game was DJ Hero.  I got so aggravated from failing the normal difficulty that I threw it all back in the box, went over to Gameware, and sold it for less than 10 bucks.  For that, I am not ashamed.

I'm no longer going to play Krater, ever. I reached the 2nd major city, and also completed some quests around that. But now I have to finish a quest for which I apparently are not skilled enough because I keep getting killed quite fast at the second to last dungeon level. I will probably have to grind like shit to accumulate enough cash to unlock the next level for the 3rd character so that all my characters are at level 15. But this probably is still not enough because my weapons simply suck.

Either way, the game feels like it's focused on grinding, or maybe requiring coop to continue. I cannot find much fun in playing this game. (I gave it 5 hours)

That's about as much as I lasted...

I don't know if this count, but I technically quit Retro City Rampage on the Vita, I already beat the Steam version, but this looks great on the Vita, they actually updated the game and made it less frustrating... that is, until you reach the final boss, which is the worst thing ever, I refuse to put myself through that part of the game again. :|

I just quit Candy Box! I was still enjoying it tremendously, but for some reason I felt like if I beat it, I should beat it without using "cheap tricks" (aka winning strategies) and that looked like a long road ahead...and I was thinking way too much about candies after two or three days. So I opted out. =P

Then I loaded it up again at work today because why not? And then Firefox locked up before I could save my hour of progress, so I quit again. For good this time. For reals.

Unless I want to try a different enchantment.

>_>

I have like an hour and a half or so left to go in Bioshock: Infinite and I don't think I will ever finish it.

I quit Waking Mars, I think I can beat, but.... it's just not worth it, you just have to put in so much effort in keeping the ecosystem stable, I have to grind for seeds... just to have the new life I created killed by some other creature or a falling rock or fireball... Just find another room with the same problem, I love the story and characters, but I just can't take it anymore, each room is more time consuming that the last and less satisfying. *shrugs*