Jake

New website!

Can you be more specific? As in what do you see and what browser/OS you're looking at it in. Also who is your daddy and what does he do?

I'm seeing a little gap between the header image and the "About Idle Thumbs" section in Firefox 15 on Linux. Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/4HujK.png . Looks fine in Chrome, though.

Can you be more specific? As in what do you see and what browser/OS you're looking at it in. Also who is your daddy and what does he do?

the gp class in the first child div of the div with the horsebag and gandalf classes causes the gap jemerywc posted. Removing the gp class fixes the layout for firefox 15, and the rest of the layout look ok.

Great site!

Issue: the soundtrack live version of Wuxtry! links to The Fanboy's Lament. Oh wait, episode renumbering, it might be the 'The Idle Thumbs Podcast' Theme. Whatever, the last link on the soundtrack page needs fixin.

the gp class in the first child div of the div with the horsebag and gandalf classes causes the gap jemerywc posted. Removing the gp class fixes the layout for firefox 15, and the rest of the layout look ok.

This is the best thing anyone has ever said (and also the reason that Chris currently hates me).

This is the best thing anyone has ever said (and also the reason that Chris currently hates me).

Haha, that reminds me of the one computer science class I took (learning FORTRAN 77). The teacher and TAs did not apprectiate my variable naming. It was always a bunch of nonsense.

I love it.

(Sadly they still require Flash in Firefox because of Mozilla's refusal to support mp3)

Amazingly, there is not a single codec/format that works in every browser. Even .wav is unsupported in some.

Mozilla's refusal to support even the platform-implementations on Windows and OSX is so silly. Opus seems like the first codec that could actually stand a chance of beating out mp3—offering advantages outside of Ogg's "It's just like MP3 but with less hardware support, lol" pitch—but the window on any mp3 replacement is rapidly closing as the final patent expirations in 2017 come into view.

Not sure if hardware-acceleration is still a pressing need for audio with today's smartphone power-management, but it's what ensures that Google's WebM video effort won't get off the ground.

Rad.

ALSO: is the blog staying the same as the old "site", or will it get more bloggy since the main site has all the stuff on it?

Rad.

ALSO: is the blog staying the same as the old "site", or will it get more bloggy since the main site has all the stuff on it?

Yeah, the blog will be more of a repository miscellaneous stuff but we'll keep it regular so be sure to check it out.

Could you also list the book you are going to discuss in two months under The Idle Book Club? I know it is Cloud Atlas after The Sense of Ending, but for the future (a) I may require more than a month to finish a book and (B) I don't want to listen to bookcast or dig through the discussion thread of a book I have not yet read to discover what is the next book (or the one after that). Thanks!

This is going to be the most ridiculous quibble possible, but I've been doing enough Latin the last few days that I actually care, however temporarily. On the Extras page, the slogan at the top right is "Otiose pollices", which translates a little nonsensically to "Idly, thumbs" or conceivably to "Hey idle [one], thumbs". It should probably be "otiosi pollices" ("pollices otiosi" if you're going to follow the slight Roman tendency to put nouns first, all things being equal).

Also, fair warning that "otium" and its derivatives have heavy connotations of unemployment and/or leisure time as well as idleness. Personally, I like that, especially considering that all other adjectives meaning "idle" tend to have pejorative overtones.

Awesome site though, guys. Seriously, gobsmacked here.

Just noticed I can't find an easy link to your twitch.tv page from the site.

Yeah, I am also bothered unreasonably by this, as well as the podcast archive being three clicks from the main page, since those are usually my reasons for visiting it.

I'm totally loving the new site. I was actually sitting in the front row of the PAX panel with my phone out and refreshing the page as it was launched. It was a glorious launch, perhaps made even better because it didn't work the first time.

Love the new site; it's clean and manageable to browse through, but it's hip and interesting, and carries a true visual identity that carries over well with previous Idle Thumbs web-pages. Also: the "Extras" page uses the word 'otiose'. I approve of under-appreciated terms.

The site was designed before we were really using Twitch. Thanks for the reminder, it'll be rectified.

Also thanks for the Latin tip.

Gentlemen if you were to manufacture stickers of decent size and quality of some of the logos at the bottom of the new website (specifically the Idle Thumbs Society and Phaedrus ones) I would purchase the shit out of them.

I don't actually know how smart/feasible this kind of merchandising is, so I'm not holding my breath. But at least my desire has been heard.

ALSO: I noticed the sweet episode eleven-2 logo while I was perusing through old episode pages (quality time). I have no idea if that's new or not but I like it.

Gentlemen if you were to manufacture stickers of decent size and quality of some of the logos at the bottom of the new website (specifically the Idle Thumbs Society and Phaedrus ones) I would purchase the shit out of them.

I don't actually know how smart/feasible this kind of merchandising is, so I'm not holding my breath. But at least my desire has been heard.

*Cough Cough*

post-8969-0-71258100-1346964304_thumb.jp

Some of those are for Kickstarter rewards but we've been figuring out how we want to actually maybe sell things in the coming months. Glad we'd have at least one customer!

ALSO: I noticed the sweet episode eleven-2 logo while I was perusing through old episode pages (quality time). I have no idea if that's new or not but I like it.

That's been there since that episode was first published when we were hand-coding the site every week. We all cracked up when that carried over and continued to work on the current site.