Maybe they are changing that part because they are fed up of people like me whining that no game has gone over 15% of votes. XP

Yes.

EDIT: That was waaay more callous than I wanted! What I meant to say was a more jovial, "Yep! :D" But that doesn't really work, either. Well, now you know.

Anyway...

Hmm, is this something only people who have submitted games can see? Right now I can't even see the voting percentage. Maybe they are changing that part because they are fed up of people like me whining that no game has gone over 15% of votes. XP

Well, Valve has only themselves to blame on that count, since it's fifteen percent of a number that apparently means nothing.

It looks like there's no list of the top 100, but the game's page says so if it's in the top 100, only the dev gets to see where in the top 100 they are, and the percentage thing is gone entirely having been shown to be irrelevant. I like these changes.

It seems the next batch of Greelight games will be announced the 15th of October, according to the Mutant Mudds guy, who says he's only... 56th in the top 100? That seems a bit low, I don't even have 55 games voted for in my Greelight list. :|

Well, the new batch of Greenlight games is out, and La-Mulana is oddly absent from the list. Lost of FPS games, Minecraft-like games and adventures too, but not adventures from known publishers like Grey Matter. Shantae didn't make it either.

At least Project Giana made it, I wonder if it was pushed because it's supposed to be released this month? I'm happy anyway since I backed it and should get a Steam code, at least I think I will.

PS: I guess

I really enjoyed reading this Octodad blog post about the changes they are making to movement in the upcoming game. I realize I have no future career as a 3D modeler because I don't know what "we switched from using softbody meshes to using ropes" means.

I have a pretty decent idea what that means, and I have literally no idea how to model a sphere. (Although I'm sure it'd be pretty simple.) I think that has more to do with physics engine than it does with 3D modeling, although they can be pretty tightly linked.

(Soft-body meshes means you treat the model, and its mesh, sort of like gelatin. Ropes means... well, ropes. Much closer to cloth physics (i.e., physics with constraints) than to bouncy, jiggly things. I'm only guessing, though. There's probably something I'm missing.)

Hooraaay this means I get pushed up 20 places.

Oh, hey, by the way: why is your game a puzzle game with a ball you're supposed to control instead of something a bit more actiony? Because it feels like it'd suit the imprecise, chaotic nature of the ball movement as a game where you're racing the clock, possibly through an abstract, wacky environment being chased by slimes and worms.

Signed,

Someone Who Really Wants A Modern Marble Madness

P.S. I'll probably buy your game anyway, because I'm Australian

Well, people are always likening it to Marble Madness and a bunch of other games but I've never played any of them. It started as me trying to write this super simple game (I'm not a programmer, so this was some of the first unrealscript I did) where you'd roll a ball around and shoot some other balls in a kind of deathmatch thing, and every now and then the entire level would rotate 90 degrees and present a different set of obstacles/structures/whatever. As soon as I tried the rotating room thing I thought it was way more interesting in a puzzle situation where you have to navigate a room and get a thing from A to B by rotating the room. Everything else built up from that. We thought about doing some more actiony stuff a few times but it just didn't really feel right and the puzzling stuff was more interesting to us. Maybe if I'd had the experience of playing Marble Madness back in the day it'd be different. :P

Also, UDK has a few annoying limits on stuff like angular velocity that you can't get around without being a full licensee, which would basically balls up a more actiony sphere game entirely.

You should totally play igneous"]http://www.igneousgame.com/]igneous[/url] though.

Also, went up 10 ranks in the top 100 today and yesterday, not sure where it's all coming from.

They will again greenlight some stuff at the end of this month.

I really don't get Steam Greenlight.

The next Steam Greenlight game is... Postal 2.... What?! :eek:

I don't like the idea of people using Greenlight for non-indie games, but older games that probably existed when Steam did, but for some reason didn't get on Steam, (A.K.A. GOG games).

I also don't get Steam Greenlight.

I also didn't get Steam greenlit.

"At least 10 new titles will be greenlit on November 30th" and my game is at #4.

I'm kind of nervous about that. It's definately less glitched than it was last year, but in terms of the art and presentation, and game design, it's still that same game that got rejected. I'm actually feeling really bad about winning on a technicality here, assuming this is happening.

I made this a year ago, and at this point I can CLEARLY see everything that's wrong with it, and am moving onto the next project a smarter person. I've accepted that it's not good enough. and I can see why, but seeing the opportunity to actually be on Steam this way makes that feel super duper weird.

I wanna go in and re-draw half the backgrounds n add more sound effects and generally improve everything-- of course what I ACTUALLY want to do is release this new game that's made in Unity and not Flash- but I guess I'll have to wait to see if it actually gets greenlit first, otherwise I'd be making the effort for noone.

If it turns out we're on some never-light blacklist then I guess I'd still have no money, but at least I'd feel really confident in Steam Greenlight.

Also-- maybe don't quote me on this anywhere please, cos I do sound kinda stupid.

I don't understand what you don't get about Greenlight. Sure, you have lots of reservations about your game being greenlit and stuff, but that's not really "not getting" Greenlight.

I'm with LaCabra - I don't see what there is for ANYONE not to get about Steam Greenlight. People thumbs up games. Games with lots of thumbs up are greenlit and Valve publishes them on Steam.

I don't know about the others, but as for me I just don't get how this system works. We can't tell how well a game is doing, we don't know if the "down vote" button really down votes or ignores a game. I don't know how the voting really works, that's all.

You can't tell how well a game is doing because the information is hidden from us, but it's not exactly a mystery. It's ranked by votes, with the most votes leading to the highest rank. The downvote button just ignores a game. Voting is literally "how many votes do you have."

I don't understand what you don't get about Greenlight. Sure, you have lots of reservations about your game being greenlit and stuff, but that's not really "not getting" Greenlight.

I'm with LaCabra - I don't see what there is for ANYONE not to get about Steam Greenlight. People thumbs up games. Games with lots of thumbs up are greenlit and Valve publishes them on Steam.

I am similarly consistently baffled by the confusion surrounding Greenlight. It's relatively straightforward.

I also didn't get Steam greenlit.

"At least 10 new titles will be greenlit on November 30th" and my game is at #4.

I'm kind of nervous about that. It's definately less glitched than it was last year, but in terms of the art and presentation, and game design, it's still that same game that got rejected. I'm actually feeling really bad about winning on a technicality here, assuming this is happening.

I made this a year ago, and at this point I can CLEARLY see everything that's wrong with it, and am moving onto the next project a smarter person. I've accepted that it's not good enough. and I can see why, but seeing the opportunity to actually be on Steam this way makes that feel super duper weird.

I wanna go in and re-draw half the backgrounds n add more sound effects and generally improve everything-- of course what I ACTUALLY want to do is release this new game that's made in Unity and not Flash- but I guess I'll have to wait to see if it actually gets greenlit first, otherwise I'd be making the effort for noone.

If it turns out we're on some never-light blacklist then I guess I'd still have no money, but at least I'd feel really confident in Steam Greenlight.

Also-- maybe don't quote me on this anywhere please, cos I do sound kinda stupid.

Man, you bein' silly. You're at #4! That means a shitton of people want to be able to buy your game. That means Valve were wrong to turn you down before, which probably happens all the time, which is why they set this thing up. The next thing you make is always going to be better than the last thing you made, that doesn't mean the last thing wasn't rad.

Also, I was at #49 a week ago but now I'm at #60. I don't really know how to promote the thing past what I have already, or if that's even what I should be doin'.