It still doesn't help that much, I'm pretty sure there are jerks willing to waste 100$ on make a fake Steam Greenlight submission.

Nah I bet there isn't. I'm not arguing it's not EFFECTIVE, cos it is pretty much as effective as you can get.

And y'know-... Steam is actually providing a great service to SELL YOUR GAME, so I guess I'm gray on it.

Newgrounds and DeviantArt are both completely full of shit; for all the good stuff on there, there's at least seventy point three billion items that aren't good. And also... they're free? Their purpose is not to attempt to make it big and make bank on a huge digital delivery service (although DA does offer selling of prints, I guess). Their purpose is to provide free entertainment for visitors to the site and an outlet for artists/creators. I'm not sure a similar system is really... viable for something like Greenlight. Maybe.

It still doesn't help that much, I'm pretty sure there are jerks willing to waste 100$ on make a fake Steam Greenlight submission.

At least they're giving to charity for the opportunity to be jerks!

On a related note, I played most of the games from the Green Light Bundle and I noticed they felt like iOS games, because 90% were actually iOS games, I checked! Heck, once of them even glitched up a bit and made the touch screen buttons appear on screen!

Which brings me to make one question, while I don't have anything against iOS games being on Steam, do they even have 99 cent games on Steam? Would it be OK for them to charge more?

There are already a bunch of iOS games on Steam. Some of them are free to play (like Bunch of Heroes? or I'm thinking of something else). Most of them cost like five bucks-ish?

WayForward and dtp Entertainment (They published Grey Matter and Black Mirror) have to go through Steam Greenlight? SERIOUSLY? These are established companies that have existed and published games for decades!

I find it insulting that even companies like these have to put up with Greenlight, shouldn't this be only for smaller indie companies that have to "prove they are worthy" to Steam? As much as I love these smaller indie games, I can understand why Steam would hesitate to release them on Steam, but WayForward? *facepalm*

Do you have a better solution?

Pretty sure I do.

Submitted games aren't indexed but the submitter gets a url he or she can distribute. Once it hits a certain threshold of up votes, it gets listed on the page for public rating. So, no money changes hands, but you have to build up a certain amount of word of mouth before it even gets listed.

ARE YOU LISTENING VALVE?

Aww yeah!

This is great news!

Steam Greenlight just got a whoooole lot better!

Am I missing something? What changed?

Pretty sure I do.

Submitted games aren't indexed but the submitter gets a url he or she can distribute. Once it hits a certain threshold of up votes, it gets listed on the page for public rating. So, no money changes hands, but you have to build up a certain amount of word of mouth before it even gets listed.

ARE YOU LISTENING VALVE?

Now that the spam's gone...

That's not a bad idea, but what about the people who are literally just starting and have no outlet for marketing? Makes it a lot harder for them and a lot easier for people who already have attention, anyway.

But I do think it's better than charging a hundred dollars, even with that downside.

Newgrounds and DeviantArt are both completely full of shit; for all the good stuff on there, there's at least seventy point three billion items that aren't good.

Yeah and it all gets filtered and arranged by people voting on it, that's the point. The top percentage makes it to the people at Steam who have to actually judge everything, and the bottom percentage gets deleted, Everything in the middle stays where it is, and gets deleted after a period of inactivity.

This is supposed to have a tonne o shit, it's the filtering system on the way into Steam. They're not sellin em.

Anyway this other system's a good idea aswel. If the barrier to entry is like 100-200 upvotes: It's not super hard to get that for free. Just post your trailer on Reddit and Twitter or Tigsource or whatever. It'll be KIND OF WEIRD if WayForward has to say "Hey guys, please upvote our thing so Valve can see it! Alright cool, thanks." but I'm really losing track of what's happening with Steam submissions now, so maybe that's not happening? Aaaaaah I'm kind of tired of this conversation tbh.

EDIT- Also I just looked it up and this WayForward game is actually their DS game from years ago updated for the iPad, so it's not MEGA surprising that it's not on Steam.

Routine sounds like a game for Chris Remo.. "first person survival-horror set on a abandoned Moon Base designed around an ’80s vision of the future."

It's good to know they've actually let some of these game pass Greenlight, but it troubles that it's mostly zombies, shooters and Mincecraft like game. At least McPixel passed Greenlight, which gives me hope.

Eh? Most of these are pretty amazing!

Towns looks more like a Tycoon game than a Minecraft like game.

Routine looks great and is in no way a traditional shooter, according to this interview.

Dream is an atmospheric exploration game.

Project Zomboid, while Zombies yes, is still a pretty unique take on the genre, instead of the usual zombie-fest.

And McPixel.

I don't know, gives me loads of hope that this might actually introduce good games to Steam.

I wonder how long we'll have to wait to see the next batch of Greenlighted games? Every other game I've voted for hasn't even reached 20% of it's unnecessary votes, I really don't get how the voting works because it doesn't make sense to see some of the games listed with such a low score.

Some of these games got several thousands of people to Kickstarter them and yet they are still with such a low score... that's disturbing.

A week after the service goes up and ten games are already Greenlit (oh man I just did that), none of which had the 100% "necessary", as far as I know, and you're still being pessimistic? Man. I don't get people sometimes.

Cry of Fear looks utterly horrendous but that just makes me want to play it all the more. It'd be a great game to play with beer in hand with some like-minded folk.

One thing I do find a bit strange is three of the approved games are free mods. Strange in a good way, as I've always been a bit confused at Valve's unwillingness to include a lot of great mods for convenience to the user. But, also, that $100 fee is a bit more of a hurdle when you're trying to get a free mod up on Steam, rather than a game people actually pay for!

A week after the service goes up and ten games are already Greenlit (oh man I just did that), none of which had the 100% "necessary", as far as I know, and you're still being pessimistic?

Yup! It highlights how arbitrary and opaque this system is. They might as well have an Applause-o-Meter on a wall outside of Valve headquarters.

Notice you can no longer see the number or percentage of votes on these chosen games; you've got no information to go by to get a sense of what makes a Greenlight-able game.

Frankly, I'm more confused than pessimistic, it's seems strange that we have 10 greenlit titles when every other title hasn't even reached 10% of the necessary votes. I'm just not sure I get how it works.

I've seen more popular games than that have been on Greenlight since practically day one, with barely any votes.

I also don't like that you can't see how many favorites or anything thing else a game has, but the "percentage" of votes. Well, that and the comments.

3 of the 4 games I voted for so far have been already greenlit while I was away from the internet for a week+. Also looks like they've reworked the system -- but are there still downvotes?

Looks like the thing is improving, stop wanting things NOW NOW NOW.

I agree that it's a bit confusing, but it's just started and can be forgiven.

Frankly, I'm more confused than pessimistic, it's seems strange that we have 10 greenlit titles when every other title hasn't even reached 10% of the necessary votes. I'm just not sure I get how it works.

I think Valve still decides what gets on or not, and the voting just puts the games more under their nose.

Like Project Zomboid and Black Mesa were probably already getting on Steam anyway.