He was also joking, I'm willing to bet...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was joking. I thought the ridiculousness of my language and statement was obvious.

To be fair, Ubisoft has made similarly ludicrous and damning statements in their own press material. We live in an industry where everything is destroying everything else, Cold War-style.

so. will any indie game be added to steam ever again? is this greenlight thing working? seems like all the noise around every game ever made asking for people to help them get on steam will have already gotten old. this seems like boring as shit work. valve should have probably instead just made a new way better internal only process for handling games submissions, and hired more people to work on it.

As someone who had Steam block access to their games for a month while I sought legal advice regarding the class action waiver (that advice was: there will never be a situation where suing Steam will be worth it, particularly if you know how to break the DRM), there are severe disadvantages to having only one account that you're not really thinking about. We have no assurances that Valve won't make the subscriber agreement (which explicitly states you don't own anything you've "bought") really consumer-hostile, and if they do there's fuck all you can do about it. Valve change their minds all the time, and they usually don't keep promises. Usually it works out alright in the end, but if Valve is suddenly shut down that promise that they'll do something about the DRM is going to be forgotten in the mess of salvaging the company. Those 400 games or whatever you have are incredibly fragile.

Besides, you should be using a password manager anyway, and in that case multiple accounts are really not a big deal.

You... are using a password manager, right? (People may look down on me for having played WoW for four years, but boy howdy did that game teach me to have different passwords for everything.)

Really don't know whether steam Greenlight is good for Indie developer or not.

we have our Game "Stained" on Greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92920386&searchtext=stained

We were about to send our final game to Steam last month but they stopped taking because of the greenlight.

our game looks polished and Demo is also available http://stained-thegame.com/Stained-Demo.exe

but it is not getting noticed.

So guys please take a look at it.

we have our Game "Stained" on Greenlight http://steamcommunit...rchtext=stained

We were about to send our final game to Steam last month but they stopped taking because of the greenlight.

our game looks polished and Demo is also available http://stained-thega...tained-Demo.exe

So are you saying that Valve no longer takes submissions for indie games and Greenlight is the only option?

I really hope not, that would a step back and bad thing for indie games in general. Which would be weird since Steam is the place to buy "Indie Game The Movie".

I'd guess that there is currently a huge hump in the number of indie games being made and the guys at Valve are just trying to figure out a way of handing off a chunk of the evaluation work to the community.

The worst thing for indie games in general I would have to say has been minecraft, even though I'm a huge fan of it, there seems to be a ton of people now assuming they can make whatever shit they want and call it a game...

The worst thing for indie games in general I would have to say has been minecraft, even though I'm a huge fan of it, there seems to be a ton of people now assuming they can make whatever shit they want and call it a game...

They've already been doing "whatever sh*t they want and called that a game" before Minecraft on XBLIG and iOS store and I'm pretty sure they did it on PC too, they just didn't have a "hub" for all these games before Steam or Desura.

I don't think we have more indie games than before, I do believe we have more indie games that are top quality entertainment though.

Although you might be right about Steam getting more indie games than they can handle.

EDIT: Woah, Steam seems to have lost all the votes on Greenlight because all the games I voted for as no longer in the list of "voted".

EDIT 2: Huh? Some of the games I voted for are actually gone! I wonder what happened?

well, at least Valve did a good job on hiding Greenlight at the moment.

we have our Game "Stained" on Greenlight http://steamcommunit...rchtext=stained

our game looks polished and Demo is also available http://stained-thega...tained-Demo.exe

Oh boy, that's concerning.

How popular or widely liked a game is is COMPLETELY separate to how good it is. People can design games to be a magnet for attention, or people can manipulate Reddit and Twitter in gross faceless corporate ways, and that can completely ruin a democratic vote system like this.

So if this is REPLACING Steam's submission process then that's fucked. Cos then we start getting a tonne o spotlight on things that just patronize and cater to what the voters wanna hear (See: OUYA).

For now that's concerning; if people still can't submit games the old way in a couple weeks, then we're in trouble.

well, at least Valve did a good job on hiding Greenlight at the moment.

Now it's more like XBLIG than ever!

They seem to have updated it. You get a queue of 12 random (seemingly?) games and once you've voted for one game, a big "Next game in queue" button appears. The text above the up/down vote now states "Would you buy this if it were available on Steam?" which makes me not feel like a douchebag for picking "No"

I'd say it's a bit more streamlined. I like it. Don't know what I think about developers having to pay $100 to be on Greenlight, though..

I read what some developers said on RPS and I liked what the Antichamber guy said. Release it else where and then use that money for Steam Greenlight.

I know some people live check to check, but if your game doesn't make enough money for the fee, then it wouldn't have passed the Greenlight system anyway, right?

Right. It's a fast solution. I just think they made the decision way too quickly, instead of waiting to see if users would've eventually sorted the shit from the good (along with better filters).

But yeah, it does solve the problem.

It really annoys me when people use money JUST as a gate system. It's used on the app store, and facebook's doing it with Promote This Post, so I've already talked about it a lot in other places.

but OH WELL, I guess this is how things are now.

It really annoys me when people use money JUST as a gate system. It's used on the app store, and facebook's doing it with Promote This Post, so I've already talked about it a lot in other places.

but OH WELL, I guess this is how things are now.

Do you have a better solution?

I mean, in the end, $100 is like... nothing. I understand it might seem like a lot for the starving artist, but it's really just kind of not? I dunno. It's kind of shitty that it has to be done, but... like I asked, do you have a better solution?

It's a $100 gamble, no guarantee on a return.

Then again, this is happening already:

I never said it was a perfect solution. It has its obvious downsides. If Valve comes up with a better solution, I have zero doubt they will implement it as soon as possible.

Dejobaan rocks!

EDIT: As an aside, I find it hilarious that Bad Rats is always used as an example of terrible games on Steam (another RPS article, this time about the $100 fee). I take solace in the fact that I was bitching about Bad Rats before it was cool! In the inaugural episode of my horrible podcast.

The $100 fee isnt that bad. I know that making a game yourself or with a small team can be more of a passion then a job (ie. not really getting paid) but $100 is seriously almost nothing. What makes me angry is that the money is given to Child's Play, which is one of the stupidest charities ever.

yeah, given to child's play is mind boggling. what in the fuck. give it to gabe's knife fund instead or some other way more useful charity.

greenlight just seems like a really horrible system for game submissions so far.

What makes me angry is that the money is given to Child's Play, which is one of the stupidest charities ever.

Not to derail too much or anything, but as a parent with a kid who spends A LOT of time in hospitals, Child's Play is pretty rad. Not only does it supply my youngest son with toys to play with when he's stuck in a hospital bed, but it also makes consoles and games available for my older kids so they have something to do when they have to be up there with us.

What makes me angry is that the money is given to Child's Play, which is one of the stupidest charities ever.

So you hate sick kids?

They seem to have dumped all entries and restarted? I only see six entries now. :|

Did they change something again?

EDIT: Oh wait, they did, they just give a list of six games to vote for and then you can view all the rest.

Do you have a better solution?

I mean, in the end, $100 is like... nothing. I understand it might seem like a lot for the starving artist, but it's really just kind of not? I dunno. It's kind of shitty that it has to be done, but... like I asked, do you have a better solution?

Yeah, Newgrounds has a hundred games, movies, music and all sorts o crap submitted every day for the passed decade. So does FlashGameLicense, so does Deviantart, so does Youtube and so on and so on. Spam, or stolen or innapropriate content doesn't make it to the front page of those sites, and content gets flushed out and deleted automatically every day.

I think after the first week (like now, for example) people submitting Minecraft over and over again would've dipped just because they'd lost interest. Once Greenlight isn't the latest article on every game blog, then the only people sticking around are the people who're genuinely interested- and if there's repeat offenders then just take away their submission rights.

Or make people sign up as developers, just to hammer in that YOU MUST BE A DEVELOPER TO DO THIS before you get to the submission page.

If they're afraid of people who don't get what it's for: That's how you fix that.

If they're afraid of like-- 4chan or something: The community reports everything and it gets flushed out.

If they don't like a hundred iOS games being submitted every day: People will get the idea that that doesn't work. Kickstarter had a huge flood of games, but now that's died down naturally like everything else.

So y'know- I'm not saying it's despicable and it's the worst thing in the world or anything: I'll pay it when it comes to game time- but I still think "How do we tell if this is a real developer?"

"Make it a hundred dollars"

is a sad, knee-jerk response. I'm not raving about it, but I'm allowed to be kinda deflated by it.