Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Idle thumbs london meetup 2012!

This is a thing that will happen! Yay! I got my train tickets and booked an apartment in Brighton so I'm all set for that part of my great journey to Great Britain! (All I need to do now is find a place to stay in jolly old London, anyone got any tips?)

I'm going to meet a few people from shacknews and you are all invited to come too! http://www.shackmeets.com/shackmeet/view/72 has all the info as to where and when we're going to meet up. If anyone is interested it would be nice to let me know in this thread so I can know what to expect :)

From the 5th of september till Saturaday morning. Gonna spend most of friday in the Brighton Dome. The rest is still pretty much open.

Sadly I can't be there for the grand opening of the Brighton Digital Festival. But if you get a chance go see pixelpyros! It's made by a super awesome dude and his shows are the best!

Even for a London pub those prices are extortionate, especially with a weak German menu :(.

I don't know what your budget is, but some backpacking friends of mine from the US swore by this Youth Hostel: http://www.tripadvis...on_England.html

However, looking at the reviews, you may wish to spend more? :-/

This is a thing that will happen! Yay! I got my train tickets and booked an apartment in Brighton so I'm all set for that part of my great journey to Great Britain! (All I need to do now is find a place to stay in jolly old London, anyone got any tips?)

I'm going to meet a few people from shacknews and you are all invited to come too! http://www.shackmeet...ackmeet/view/72 has all the info as to where and when we're going to meet up. If anyone is interested it would be nice to let me know in this thread so I can know what to expect :)

From the 5th of september till Saturaday morning. Gonna spend most of friday in the Brighton Dome. The rest is still pretty much open.

Sadly I can't be there for the grand opening of the Brighton Digital Festival. But if you get a chance go see pixelpyros! It's made by a super awesome dude and his shows are the best!

Cool, sounds good. We shall have drinks and merriment!

And yes, the pixelpyros stuff is cool, looking forward to it. Seb is pretty cool, one of Brightons many 'rockstar' coders :wacko:

I don't know what your budget is, but some backpacking friends of mine from the US swore by this Youth Hostel: http://www.tripadvis...on_England.html

I've stayed there once, about seven years ago. It's passable but, like all hostels, very basic. The "continental breakfast" is a toaster, some loaves of bread, and a pot of jam all placed on a windowsill. You'll need to bring or buy a padlock if you plan to leave anything there too, because you might end up in a room full of bunk beds and strange, quiet, hairy men.

Edit: Reading the top two reviews, sounds like it's gone downhill :/

This is confusing! When are people going to be in London? In the other London Meet thread, we'd suggested 8-9 Sep and maybe 22-23 Sep.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm going to be in London Saturday September 8th and Sunday the 9th!

I may be going to Eurogamer, which is the 27th to the 30th. Currently expecting that if I do go I'll be in London over 27th-29th, at least in some capacity.

One of these days I'll actually show up for a Thumb meetup. But not this Autumn.

Is Eurogamer, the expo, related to Eurogamer, the website?

It's organised by the same company. I don't know if there's more of a relation than that, as this will be my first year going (if it happens).

So ysbreaker, is Friday the 7th good for you? If so, I'll start a new thread for a brighton meetup. Dunno if being a bit hungover is going to affect your saturday

empika: I'm going to be at a conference all day that friday and I'll probably have some kind of party afterwards. So meeting up that day might be a bit tricky. But I'll bet we can manage something that evening :)

dConstruct? If so, they usually have a good after party! We could do drink later in the evening though, or maybe even the evening before? I'm guessing most thumbs will be at work during the day, although I do have some holiday to take in the next few weeks

Soooo, anyone for a London meet-up on the 8th or 9th? Or the 22nd/23rd? Or the 27th-29th?

Dear Ben X,

I will be in London during the weekend of 8 and 9 September. Before that I will be in Brighton. But I will be in London during the weekend of 8 and 9 September. I would love to meet up with London area Thumbs people! And since I also like to meet Shacknews people (AKA shackers) I thought it would be nice to do both at the same time. Hence my link to http://www.shackmeets.com/ in my opening post and me asking who is up for meeting me and a bunch of other internet people this upcoming weekend :) We're going to play cards against humanity which is rad! You should come too!

Love, ysbreker

Thanks ysbreker! Sorry, the thread kept on getting hijacked by Brighton questions and I missed the London stuff.

I AM TOTES UP FOR THIS, ESPECIALLY DREDD AND THE BAVARIAN BEERHOUSE. (Disagree with your stance on 3D, though, as it was properly filmed in the format, but I guess not everyone will want to pay a fiver extra to buy glasses and then fund the cinema's equipment purchases.)

ANYONE ELSE UP FOR THIS WOOOO?!

So it seems I won't get much time in London; just the one day and night. Could anyone tell me the name/location of the best, most amazing, enormous used bookshop there? There has to be quite a lot.

Also, Ben, I can try and meet and say hi, but I'm not sure if that's possible. I think I get a few hours for myself, and it'll be on the evening just before I leave (Friday, the 28th).

(Also could someone tell me the average book price for a mass market paperback in London? Used, I mean. 5 pounds?)

FINAL ALSO: also, sorry I posted 3 times.