ThunderPeel2001

Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker

Well damn, if I haven't finally gotten around to playing METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACEWALKER, thanks to the MGS HD Collection, and if it's not a proper sequel to the best game ever made*: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

There's a few limitations due to its PSP origins, but this seems like an awesome game so far, with a lot more strategy and management than I was imagining (but not so much that it's too much). Big Boss is the MGS universe's most interesting character by far, so I'm incredibly excited to see what's about to happen to his story (there's already indications that The Boss might still be alive(!)). The graphics res-up pretty nicely, too (see below).

metal-gear-solid-hd-collection-new-features-detailed-new-screenshots.jpg

This might have been more popular if it was known as Metal Gear Solid 3.5, as that's really what it is, and it's all Hideo Kojima and all canon, to boot.

Anyways, I thought I'd recommend it to any MGS3 fans out there, and I'll report back on my experiences as I make my way through the game.

* - Well, one of them, at least.

Yes this game was quite excellent, although for me the bosses were very difficult (never bothered with the co-op that's probably why).

There are all sorts of interesting aspects to it, recruting and building the army was definitely neat. But there was one thing that really made the game, in my opinion, and that was the retrieval balloon. The sneaking and stealth aspects of the game are just perfected by the balloon. You can disable an enemy and then clear him from the field (rather than killing him), making a patient and careful stealth play of the game feasible and rewarding (as opposed to more recent MGS outings where the game degenrated into a [clumsy] action game).

My hope for the next console Metal Gear: no heavy weaponry, lots of retrieval balloon.

It's the best Metal Gear PSP game... that should only be played on the PS3. I had the PSP version and couldn't play it until I got the HD collection version.

It did bother me that instead of crazy themed bosses we got mechs for every boss battle, at least they sang so it's kinda kooky?

I also loved the retrieval balloon but I hated the base management, all the people I "acquired" had terrible stats. Since I hated to grind I never bothered to finish Metal Gear Zeke. Also, the Spanish in the game was PAINFUL!

If their stats are pretty bad, it doesn't really matter where you assign them. Another thing that bothered me is that, according to the game I need to reach very high levels in every section to develop everything, which seems ridiculously grind-y.

I always overlooked this game as it seemed to be a bit weird and quite deviated from the 'MGS formula' like Portable Ops, but I guess I should give it a go when I grab the HD collection!

I always overlooked this game as it seemed to be a bit weird and quite deviated from the 'MGS formula' like Portable Ops, but I guess I should give it a go when I grab the HD collection!

It's way, way better than PoOPS.

Hello, only skimmed to avoid potential spoilers, but quick question: I've played MGS1-3. Do I play MGS4 or Peacewalker next? Narratively, does Peacewalker depend on 4 in any weird TIME PARADOX way?

Did anybody play the other Metal Gear PSP games? Weren't they some sort of card based games?

Miffy did, I'm pretty sure. I played through a good deal of Ac!d 2. It's a very different game, obviously, but I found it mostly enjoyable.

Yeah, the AC!D games are interesting at least. 2 had a fold-out paper apparatus that you could stick in your face to make it stereoscopic. It… worked better than you might expect!

They never came out as downloads, did they? I'd play them on the Vita.

AC!D 2 is awesome, peacwalker and that are more or less the must play games on the PSP. (AC!D 2 has a very poor story/scenario though, so heads up)

Portable Ops has very poor controls, if you play peacewalker you won't be able to go back to it.

Personally I hated Portable Ops. I'm still trying to force myself to get around to Portable Ops plus. The only thing good about Portable Ops was the story and the cutscenes. The game itself just consisted of boring massive levels with jack shit to do and all rounded out with useless hiding places and random item places. Even the bosses were very obnoxious hold-down-button-to-shoot-with-machine-gun half of the time, without any kind of strategy. The bosses also had a ridiculous amount of energy making you go through boring motions over and over again until they were dead (they weren't even particularly hard to kill). No MGS game I have played before had bosses with so much useless energy.

I feel like Portable Ops is simply mediocre game or lower which I don't even think would be fixed even with better controls.

However I greatly recommend Acid 2 as well. Brilliant game with some major depth and fun, despite the steep learning curve. I ended up collecting all cards and loved all the little touches and animations. I didn't have as much fun with Acid 1 and felt overwhelmed with 2 starting out where I left off but more complicated so I was sluggish to get very far in the start. If you keep going with 2 it's worth it.

Miffy did, I'm pretty sure. I played through a good deal of Ac!d 2. It's a very different game, obviously, but I found it mostly enjoyable.

You stalking me, dude?

Yeah, I played both Ac!d games. The first is definitely better, but both were pretty rad. The only real gameplay criticism I'd level at them is that I'd find myself too often getting into situations where I'd look for ways to just cycle my deck to get the one card I really wanted, but then I sometimes play actual card games that way too, so at least it's realistic.

You stalking me, dude?

Using TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION, obviously.

(pretty sure I bought Ac!d on your recommendation, which is why I remember :))

Fucking hell fire. I knew this day would eventually come and I just don't know how to react.

Fuck this movie shit, NEW METAL GEAR SOLID GAME ANNOUNCED!!!!

Demo of "Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes", started w cutscene (all realtime), went into gameplay, open world, night, raining, base. AMAZING
Snake crawled @ avoiding searchlights, killed guard, rode jeep, called in heli for evac. Sounds like MG, but the scale & atmosphere... Wow.

l_503f168c26e86.jpg

I kind of suspect it won't be literally open world though, more that the engine can now handle extremely expansive areas. I just don't see Kojima giving up his scripting control by letting you craft your own course. That's a good thing though, MGS3 and MGS4 already took the series quite far in that direction by letting you take multiple routes (skipping entire areas in favour of others) and having pretty damn big sandbox areas.

Hello, only skimmed to avoid potential spoilers, but quick question: I've played MGS1-3. Do I play MGS4 or Peacewalker next? Narratively, does Peacewalker depend on 4 in any weird TIME PARADOX way?

Well narratively Peacewalker is a sequel to MGS3. It follows on perfectly. I've heard it's worth watching the POps cutscenes on YouTube, as they're the only bits worth seeing. Also, there's no real spoilers in this thread, I'm still very early in the game.

So do people conserve threads in this forum or something?

Anyway OMG METAL GEAR SOLID IS THE GREETEST, I'm excited about this new rainy base-based footage without even seeing it.

Looking closely at that picture though: I'm not crazy about it being set in the 60's Big Boss era. Note the orange circle icon on his shoulder. My favourite Metal Gear was MGS2 and I don't play these PSP spin-offs.

This is kind of an unpopular opinion, but I SO WISH Kojima Corp would start new games that aren't additions to the Metal Gear story. After Metal Gear Solid 1, and before MGS2, they made a space beat-em-up called

which was like my favourite fucking game on PS2. It looks SO MUCH better than most things that came out for years after. The Metal Gear series has such great characters, knows not to take itself too seriously, has unique, fun and interesting gameplay ideas, hits in Japan and the US... that team is so smartly in-tune that WHO KNOWS what they'd make if they started from zero with a new world and a new style of gameplay.

EDIT- I just remembered they're called "Kojima Prod", but I will never stop calling them "Kojima Corp".

In other news, what a great piece of fan music. Gets me all nostalgic.