AteBit

Why so curious?

Ill save everyone 34 seconds. This is a TEASER, not a trailer. It has 0 content. I can only based off the "what is in the cube" tagline that this is a sequel to the 2009 film The Box, but since its a cube this time there is a whole nother dimension of human empathy, and pain.

I think we should just go ahead and give this an Oscar now, instead of waiting for the inevitable.

Wait, is the trailer in the original post from the real Peter Molyneux? It was linked by Molydeux and due to its irreverent nature and the comments I assumed it was from the parody. Does this mean all this cube nonsense is an actual game? I don't know how people could possibly keep it straight. I mean, 22 Pans? Excuse my french, but what the fuck is that shit?

The way I understand it, they're going to do 22 weird experimental games like this, which will culminate in something magical and extreme.

I suggested "Mars Rover" but somehow I don't think that's going to make the cut.

The way I understand it, they're going to do 22 weird experimental games like this, which will culminate in something magical and extreme.

So this cube is just the tip of the iceberg? That's kinda terrifying.

I bet the prize inside the cube will just be the next game.

That would be awesome. They made 22 nested minigames, and sell just the outer one.

Oh, and for those who haven't read much about this, they'll be selling, for real money, tools that let you chip away faster. The most expensive one is ridiculous.

I bet it will be a video of Jeff Goldblum berating whoever removes the final block. Am I right in thinking that there will be micro-transactions for the ability to remove more of the cube or was that a PC Gamer joke?

Edit: Pre-empted me Toblix, isn't it thousands of pounds for the best tool?

Although I'll never participate, I find this thing kind of incredibly fascinating. Probably for the same reasons Molyneux finds it fascinating.

Yeah, it's fascinating all right. Especially that if they somehow get their security right, indeed only one player will see what's inside. Will he or she share?

Not interesting in purchasing or playing this, though.

PS. Love the thread title.

I'll be surprised if it's something genuinely awesome like 50% of however much has been spent on the game or something like that. In fact, if that possibility were even planted in people's minds that'd pretty much send this thing wild.

Here's Peter Molyneux giving a talk about Curiosity (the game):

It's kind of weird that he added levelling up, and felt the need to turn it into a game, and a fun app.

Also his attitude to buying pickaxes is very strange. Someone like this being into the idea of micro-transactions is weird.

I bet the prize inside the cube will just be the next game.

One person gets what's in the centre of the cube, but no, everyone gets the next game... Unless the prize is that whoever's at the middle of the cube is the GOD in Game 2, HAhahahaha.

Like we're all the sperm racing into this giant egg, and one guy wins.

...uh-oh, now I'm really starting to think about that.

So wait, only ONE person gets whats in the cube? What is this, a Price is Right Showroom? And you have to purchase crap to get to the "center" faster? This sounds like the stupidest and shallow cash grab. I suggest he calls it Cow Clicker 2.

I had a whole rant to type up but I thought I'd just say this instead: remember Project Milo?

In the video above Molyneux justifies monetizing the game because if someone pays money it proves that Molyneux created something meaningful. I think the stick of deodorant I have here could spot the logical fallacy in that.

Haha, I think it's great. The whole point of the game is to test whether or not people are willing to pay for essentially a complete unknown, simply in order to know what it is and/or attain the recognised status of having it — a bit like investing in a very rare/expensive item in a multiplayer game. In some ways it's a cheap way of getting some early funding, but it's also going to be a pretty interesting experiment to see the results of.

I hope the guy who breaks the center is someone who never paid a penny. Nothing would be better.

And, it seems likely. No doubt the number of people chipping away will increase by an order of magnitude as the task nears completion.