toblix

DayZ

You can equip the flashlight as your sidearm then toggle it with 'L', but it only works at night. I can see where you're coming from, however I've been very lucky when it come to player interactions (other than silent axe murder).

Holy shit. So I decided to do a run to the airfield for loot. Horrible idea because, although I saw no players, the place was crawling with zombies. I did end up replacing my AKM for an M4, if only because it's apparently not as loud. Anyway, on the way back South running toward Stary Sobor, I start hearing a few gunshots, but they sound real weak like they're pretty far off in the distance. So I keep an eye out for the general direction they're coming from, and continue running. As I'm moving through some trees, a few more shots fire off, and I start hearing them crack off the ground and trees around me. I immediately stand up and sprint, and look round to see if I can see the shooter, which I can't. The shots are also attracting zombies, so I'm having to dodge two things now. I just about make it behind a truck to cover his fire so I can turn and take out the wave of zombies that have been approaching. After they were all dealt with, I sprint down into Stary and hide in a building and waited for about five minutes. I didn't hear any further shots, so either he didn't follow me or I lost him.

But man, the sound design in that small encounter was just phenomenal. It's not a new sound for me to hear in video games, but it's the first time I remember that hearing the rounds crack off the trees actually mattered, and it's one of the first times where the sound surprises you and splits the silence. The more I play the game, the more small things just keep revealing themselves that destroy me with happiness.

I like those little revelatory moments. I had a much less dramatic one yesterday. I had just begun my hike northward. I had three full water bottles and wasn't thirsty, but as I ran past a pond the voice of Ray Mears popped into my head, "Always fill your canteen when you get the opportunity, you never know when you will find your next clean water source...". I drank one and refilled it, thanks Ray. I've always liked to believe that his programs give me some minor competency in a survival situation, I never thought it would manifest in a video game.

Damn, I'm just heading offline. GMT will be a sucker for this. Might get to play with you guys this weekend.

brannagan, that crack is more likely a round's supersonic shockwave - in ARMA, the supersonic crack is sharp and very loud, whereas rounds hitting trees or earth is muffled and comparatively lower pitch

If I ran away for nothing, then I'm hilariously embarrassed. I don't know, though. As I ran, they fired more and they stopped firing when I got behind the truck. Paranoia is my main feeling in DayZ though, so...

when bullets are passing close enough for their shockwave to be audible, paranoia is a quite sensible

each round there is more audible for the sonic-boom as it passes than the report at the muzzle or the impact on target

you used of crack, I assumed that was the sound you heard?

Yeah, that's exactly what I heard. Scared the crap out of me. I just presumed it was the sound of impact, but you can tell from the video that the bullet's hitting dirt sounds different, muffled like you said earlier.

huh, so I logged out being fine, log back in today and my legs are broken, so that's fun. Now I'm being messed with, dropped myself off a dam and bled out, for a while, but the bleeding stopped on it's own.

huh, so I logged out being fine, log back in today and my legs are broken, so that's fun. Now I'm being messed with, dropped myself off a dam and bled out, for a while, but the bleeding stopped on it's own.

you might want to check out reddit.com/r/redditrescueforce :)

I just started playing this and I'd be cool to meet up with some thumbs in game.

huh, so I logged out being fine, log back in today and my legs are broken, so that's fun.

For a second, I mistook this for the "Life" thread and thought you meant logging in and out of the forums.

Get well soon, Brannigan! :hat1:

So anyone want to donate some sweet delicious lifeblood to me? I ask because omgimalmostdeadandwanttolive. I actually have blood bags, found a nice stash, then of course got super hurt because guns are loud and apparently I didn't notice how many zombies were around me even with nightvision.

Ok, so I got this and tried to play a bit today. I just keep getting killed by other players. I don't even hear them ask or say anything before. Does the voice chat need to be turned on from a menu or something? I also don't have a microphone so maybe that automatically turns it off?

My first game I just couldn't find any resources. Found some small towns with no enterable houses.

My 4rth playthrough was an inadvertent re-enactment of Dear Esther. I spawned in the water very close to the shore, but there was an island behind me and I decided to swim there instead. What's cool is that as in real life, the distances are much longer than they seem when you're swimming, so it took me a while. I wanted to rest on some rocks midway to the island, but I broke my leg on them instead. Some kind of sand clock showed up (I think it was a minute) and I have no idea what that was about but I waited it out. I discovered that I was now near some rocks in the middle of the sea and couldn't walk with my broken leg. So I crawled the rest of the way to the island, under water. I could hardly see and it was a miracle that I managed to not get lost. Interestingly, I didn't drown -- it took me 5 minutes or more to crawl to the island. In hopes to find *just something* to help me, I decided to keep on crawling and climb to the top of the hill that formed the island. It took another 5 or more minutes and I found a tower on top. Surprisingly, I could easily climb the tower, despite my broken leg. Even more surprisingly I found no loot there whatsoever. And then I jumped.

Holy smokes this game is intense! My very first spawn I found more axes than I could ever carry, and axed about a dozen zombies. I also found a location that had 5-6 medical tents. The very first firearm I found was an M16, and were you watching me play you would have been able to tell because I yelled "HOLY SHIT AN M16!" With no rounds. So I loaded up on morphine, blood, bandages, painkillers, epi pens, everything I could carry. I climbed on the roof to survey my surroundings, and attracted a zombie. My choice was lug the M16 and hope I could find ammo, or have the axe and have to defend myself. I eventually died literally trying to bandage myself, shaking, surrounded by all the medical supplies in the world but no bullets.

I finally had success though! I found a winchester, and magazines. MULTIPLE magazines! A pistol! I had food, a hunting knife, matches, but no drinks. Started losing blood due to thirst, aggro'd a zombie, had to shoot it while shaking. Thank god that zombie liked pepsi. I drank it right on the spot while other zombies closed in, but now I was able to outrun them. Snuck into a supermarket under cover of darkness and loaded up with more supplies than I've ever seen in my life including a map. It's zombie christmas. Now I'm following power lines, I believe eastward. Finally curled up under a tower to sleep because it was dark.

Questions- I found a different pack in the store, but couldn't pick it up. I didn't have the option to interact with it at all. Is there something special I have to do; are packs bugged?

A process question - whenever I log out of a server and try to log back in, I get "CD Key in use". It seems like restarting my computer fixes it? Is there any other fix someone knows so that I don't have to restart every time? My SSD died and I'm running on a crunchy old drive that I'm afraid is going to explode and it takes forever. Plus if I do that, will I have to start over? I've never picked up where I left off on a character. I don't know if that's just happenstance or something to do with blanking out the key? I've had to reselect a gender every time I successfully load into a server, etc. Ach, this is a long post.

Questions- I found a different pack in the store, but couldn't pick it up. I didn't have the option to interact with it at all. Is there something special I have to do; are packs bugged?

Yes, packs are bugged. The problem arrises when a pack of any sort is spawned near or on a pile of other items. The items make the pack "unavailable" for interaction and can easily be solved by picking up said items and dropping them elsewhere. Once you have moved the items you should now be able to look inside the pack or even swap it out for the pack you currently have. Some packs are worse than the one you start out with so its a good idea to first open up a pack on the ground, see how many slots it can hold and then swap if it's better than what you currently have

NOTE: Should you change pack do note that the supplies in the original pack will still remain and will NOT be transfered automatically.

Aww, crap. Yeah there was a bunch of stuff surrounding it, but I didn't want to take it because my pack was almost full. I'll remember that for next time. I even dropped my own pack right on the ground. Thank goodness I was able to pick it up again. I think the one lying there was an Alice pack? I've heard those are quite good.

May be a moot point, because I think every time I restart my computer to be able to log back in I get wiped, but thanks for the advice!

Aww, crap. Yeah there was a bunch of stuff surrounding it, but I didn't want to take it because my pack was almost full. I'll remember that for next time. I even dropped my own pack right on the ground. Thank goodness I was able to pick it up again. I think the one lying there was an Alice pack? I've heard those are quite good.

May be a moot point, because I think every time I restart my computer to be able to log back in I get wiped, but thanks for the advice!

Yeah the Alice packs can fit 20 items instead of the 8 that you start with. There's only one better and thats the Coyote Backpack which has a capacity of 24 slots. I tried finding a fix for your issue but was unsuccessful. Are you running a normal install, GOG or Steam version of ARMA 2?

Well hopefully the next time I find a decent pack I'll be able to dump stuff and grab it properly.

Thanks for looking! It's a GOG install, that was the best sale. I've done a BUNCH of googling, and it basically ranges from "hey stop hacking you jerk you get what you deserve" to "no known fix" to "restart your computer". The third option has worked with limited success, but I've not been able to carry over any character. To be fair this is by far the best run I've ever had so that wasn't a big deal, but I also can't remember if I survived any previous sessions. On the official BIS forums they have you submit information about where you got the game, IP address, etc, so I've done that and had a ticket opened. We'll see where that goes. It would just be fun to load up the game and 1) have it work and 2) not have the specter of losing all my progress by default when I do get in.

e: apparently there's a GOG support article I'll have to look over and try when I get home. I didn't even think to specify which non-Steam install I was using.

I think that did it! I never even thought to be GOG-specific. I owe you all my blood packs and morphine.

Well hopefully the next time I find a decent pack I'll be able to dump stuff and grab it properly.

Thanks for looking! It's a GOG install, that was the best sale. I've done a BUNCH of googling, and it basically ranges from "hey stop hacking you jerk you get what you deserve" to "no known fix" to "restart your computer". The third option has worked with limited success, but I've not been able to carry over any character. To be fair this is by far the best run I've ever had so that wasn't a big deal, but I also can't remember if I survived any previous sessions. On the official BIS forums they have you submit information about where you got the game, IP address, etc, so I've done that and had a ticket opened. We'll see where that goes. It would just be fun to load up the game and 1) have it work and 2) not have the specter of losing all my progress by default when I do get in.

e: apparently there's a GOG support article I'll have to look over and try when I get home. I didn't even think to specify which non-Steam install I was using.

I think that did it! I never even thought to be GOG-specific. I owe you all my blood packs and morphine.

I'm happy you found a solution to the problem, may all your rounds fly straight and your blood stay inside your body.