toblix

DayZ

Any tips on getting your first weapon? Anything that I can help defend myself against a zombie. So far I've spent a few hours in and can't figure out for the life of me how you're supposed to get your mitts on a gun when the spawn points are surrounded by zombies. Am I just supposed to charge in, grab and run? Sneaking so far has just lead to eventual spotting zombies and fleeing.

Barns will often have an Enfield or shotgun. Good starting weapons that are easy to get if the barn is isolated from other structures. If things go wrong you can just kill the five or so zombies that spawn next to the barn.

I was playing lastnight on the Neogaf server (us 38) and found a bike in Chero, decided to bike all the way up to the military base are the top left of the map. Took me about 20 mins to get there. I was able to make it into the fire station and had to shoot a zombie, then 30 more stream in behind him. I died... :(

Deer stands are a gret place to find weapons as well and the majority of them are not in towns which is nice. Altough zombies do spawn around them.

Deer stands are good. Look for them along tree lines which overlook large open areas. There are four around the perimeter of Green Mountain. I've got an AKM, Remington shotgun (it has a flashlight on it), M24 sniper rifle and military flashlight from deer stands.

If anyone wants to have a meetup, I have a bus that could carry everyone around (assuming it's still there when i get back).

I'm a relative veteran, especially for solo play. If anyone wants to do a meetup I can tour guide a bit. Avaren on steam, feel free to add me and send me a message. I'll be joining the group tonight when I get home from work.

Well, someone sniped me from afar, I didn't die, but they thought I would bleed out. I came to and managed to bandage myself. Got to cover and waited for him to show up for my body. 5 minutes pass, nothing. I know I'm dead but I'm not letting that son of a bitch have my pepsi. I chugged my 6 cans of soda and ate all my food, and waited. I hear him nearby. Someone else shoots him, doesn't know I'm there. Knowing I have no way of surviving, I threw myself off a rooftop, satisfied that he never got to enjoy my smooth, refreshing pepsi.

I'm seriously amused that my first thought after coming to was "drink all the pepsi now."

I'm seriously amused that my first thought after coming to was "drink all the pepsi now."

It begins. Welcome to the Bean Wars.

We should start a roving group of bandits that hold up every player we see and demand they hand over their beans and Pepsi.

If anybody fancies meeting up and giving me a blood transfusion, that'd be greatly appreciated.

I went to the prone zone near the edge of a crane I climbed, instead my mans dove head first off and broke probably everything. That was the fastest I've ever died.

We should start a roving group of bandits that hold up every player we see and demand they hand over their beans and Pepsi.

YES. Seriously, let's do this. We leave them with everything else though.

YES. Seriously, let's do this. We leave them with everything else though.

Of course. We're not assholes, we just want what's ours; all the pepsi and beans.

By the way, I just found two spare boxes of matches and a spare revolver, so if people need any of these, let me know. I'll probably be on at some point tomorrow evening.

three-month old character willing to overwatch and tute less experienced players who're looking to gear up

will work for beans

Got killed by a player for the first time yesterday. Was crawling up some stairs and suddenly realized he was right behind me. He didn't look bandity, and he didn't kill me right away. So I turned around to salute him. Unfortunately, turning around to face him meant I had my gun pointed at him, and he wasted me. I lost a lot, but I'm willing to chalk it up to a communication failure.

I wonder how culture would have developed if tribal people with shitty communication skills had the ability to kill each other instantly at range.

It makes me smile that I found a ghillie suit, a revolver, some matches, a shotgun and painkillers yet I'm starving to death. This game is... great.

Also, while scouting a small village from a treeline I observed another player riding through town on a bike kiting a train of zombies. Instantly I recalled Sean's face from the livestream as he rode his bike around at breakneck speeds down hills. Thanks :)

The best thing about having a few canteens, a hunting knife and matches is the feeling of frivolously gorging on beans and coke. I never leave anything I find. Maybe I should be more sympathetic for those less fortunate than myself.

I think the Prone Zone: Bean Bandit Bus should be the Prone Zone: Soup Kitchen, collecting food from towns and giving to the needy.

We'd be the Robin Hoods of Chenarus. Amazing. This needs to happen. Once we all are equipped to survive, of course.

Ya, I'm trying to say on low population servers for the time being just to be able to gather some of the more "essential" items before I get into full scale bandit survival.

I find playing on low population servers for loot a little pointless. The acquisition of loot and consumables only serves the purpose of facilitating interesting interactions. Also living relatively comfortably in DayZ only has value if you know how it feels to toil for beans.

DayZ Commander is great compared to some of the other kludgey tools out there, thanks for that!

What I want to know is what sicko keeps restocking these loot spots just to see us all tear each other to shreads?

"I find playing on low population servers for loot a little pointless."

I would agree with that, except when you're playing with a partner. That makes everything much better, even low pop servers.

I think I may have given the wrong impression in my last post.

I don't log on to low population servers to stock up on stuff then go to higher populated servers and kill people.

I'm just tired of getting sniped from long range while i'm shambling around without a weapon still not able to figure out how to turn on/off my flashlight. My enjoyment thus far, has come from the nature survivalist aspects of this game. Perhaps I'm playing the wrong game. Perhaps I need some friends to play with. Perhaps I just need a can of beans.

I'm just tired of getting sniped from long range while i'm shambling around without a weapon still not able to figure out how to turn on/off my flashlight. My enjoyment thus far, has come from the nature survivalist aspects of this game. Perhaps I'm playing the wrong game. Perhaps I need some friends to play with. Perhaps I just need a can of beans.

It is a different game between a high-pop server and a low one. Low populations make it more of a zombie survival game, while high population servers make it more of a PvP game. Keep in mind that people interested in being bandits usually stick to high-pop servers, since there are more targets.

But yup, find a buddy to play with and it's a third type of game. You get more interesting objectives and can have some protection from the bad guys. Contact realarccos in Steam if you want to give it a shot.