toblix

DayZ

Sounds like you had a bout of sleep paralysis.

Was going to skip working out before work today to play a little Day Z, first time I saw night time in the game. Within a few minutes I decided that I should probably just go exercise.

Jumped into DayZ on my lunch break today... So far been chased by countless zombies, found ammo for guns I don't have, picked up enough empty cans to make a six-pack(still don't know how to throw these things), and finally made my way into a deer hunters hide which seems like the zombies can't climb up into. Stress!!

I survived for 6 hours, visited 5 towns, and raided around 20 caches without finding a gun (lots of ammo though).

After I finally died in that one, my next run through I find a shotgun in the loft of a barn in the town I started in. When getting down from the loft, I break my legs by hopping off an 8 foot platform. Frustrated, I shoot my shotgun into the air to summon the zombies to finish me off.

My recommend (having thought it over) is that Steam Groups make it hard to connect when you actually want to play, but Day-Z Commander (which is sick, btw) has a friends function built in. Worth checking out.

http://www.dayzcommander.com/

This game just doesn't want to give me matches. It's all I need to become a hunter, but I can't find them anywhere.

This game just doesn't want to give me matches. It's all I need to become a hunter, but I can't find them anywhere.

I had the same problem. It took me over ten hours to find matches. I got a box in a supermarket eventually.

I'm up at Novy Sobor now, so I might risk running over to Stary in an attempt to raid the supermarket in hope of matches and the military base over there.

I had the same problem. It took me over ten hours to find matches. I got a box in a supermarket eventually.

Oh, you bastard :D

I'm up at Novy Sobor now, so I might risk running over to Stary in an attempt to raid the supermarket in hope of matches and the military base over there.

Aside from Cherno, Stary is the most dangerous place in the game. Good loot though.

You know the bit in The Road when they find the bunker? Finding matches and a knife is a bit like that moment, and after the elation of preparing your first meal you realise that everything is still hopeless and you are no safer than before.

What is the relative risk of the North-East airstrip? I hear it's the only place antibiotics spawn so that could attract undesirables, however it's so far away from the Southern coast I can't imagine too many people making it there. Getting there seems like a good long term goal (I'm at the dam North of Elektro). I really want to see the lakes up their and some suppressed M4 ammo would be a great find.

I've been up there a few times, and it's been borderline suicide if you're alone. There's a ton of great loot up there, so a lot of groups and bandits hang around it.

I'm beginning to realise that going anywhere or doing anything is suicide (unless you stay firmly in the Prone Zone). A ship in harbour and all that.

In descending order of relative danger

- Cherno

- Stary Sobor

- Any airstrip

- Berezino

- Elektro

- Everywhere

Be prepared to kill if you venture into any of those places that I've named specifically, and to do so without hesitation.

Well, that was horrible. Got cornered in a barn by a ton of zombies they absolutely wrecked me. Just about got away with 1000 blood and broken bones. Crawled to a nearby house in search of morphine and was killed.

So I spawned on the East coast and spent 40 minutes running back to Stary Sobor in hopes that no one had gotten to my gear before me. Thankfully they hadn't, but the whole time was spent sprinting through the darkness with dozens of zombies behind me.

Think I'll call it a night there. Don't have the energy to explore the rest of Stary at night.

What if the're just happy tourists? As a rule I run from trouble, but having above average gear has changed my attitude towards killing. In the first hour of this life I turned a corner at the southern airfield and came face to face with a woman wielding an AKM. She didn't have a mic and was aiming at me. I lowered my AKM and saluted while shouting 'Don't shoot!'. We both survived. If I found myself in that situation with the gear I have now I would shoot her in the head.

What if the're just happy tourists? As a rule I run from trouble, but having above average gear has changed my attitude towards killing. In the first hour of this life I turned a corner at the southern airfield and came face to face with a woman wielding an AKM. She didn't have a mic and was aiming at me. I lowered my AKM and saluted while shouting 'Don't shoot!'. We both survived. If I found myself in that situation with the gear I have now I would shoot her in the head.

That seems really odd to me because you'd be getting more out of killing someone in an early part of your characters life. When you're geared up, killing other players seems to be less about surviving and more about sport. I guess the other side of the argument would be that if you're not going to kill, the gear you've collected is sort of pointless.

I will say that I'm starting to get pretty decked out with equipment now, but up to this point I've never had to kill another player. I've either been able to avoid a confrontation or the other players I've run into have either killed me on sight without me being able to react or have been good guys. It'll be interesting hitting that first point when I don't need to kill but feel like doing it anyway.

That seems really odd to me because you'd be getting more out of killing someone in an early part of your characters life. When you're geared up, killing other players seems to be less about surviving and more about sport. I guess the other side of the argument would be that if you're not going to kill, the gear you've collected is sort of pointless

My point was more that I feel protective of my stuff and the story my character has accumulated. As a result I'm more likely to default to self preservation when making a split second decision.

The issue being that your interaction with the random woman is a real edge case, you're safer off just killing people. Don't let me corrupt you though. Play DayZ long enough and you'll be just as paranoid and phobic as everyone else, it just takes time.

That's straight up cold blooded.

I don't know why, but the scenario of a group of guys coming across a bike and killing each other for it just popped into my head and seemed hilarious. I bet that's happened.

Any tips on getting your first weapon? Anything that I can help defend myself against a zombie. So far I've spent a few hours in and can't figure out for the life of me how you're supposed to get your mitts on a gun when the spawn points are surrounded by zombies. Am I just supposed to charge in, grab and run? Sneaking so far has just lead to eventual spotting zombies and fleeing.

I generally aim to sneak in when zombies are out of the way, sometimes it's a long wait. You can also try just sprinting inside larger houses and hiding. Zombies can't run while inside buildings and if they suddenly can't see or hear you they often give up. Of course, you still need to escape afterwards.