toblix

DayZ

I just bought Operation Arrowhead to finally try this out. I expect a devastating, depressing experience, but at least I'll have tried it.

Oh! Evan reminded me yesterday that I'm actually on a panel with Dean Rocket Hall at PAX (on Friday) so if you're going to PAX come check that out. Notch is on the panel as well. I will mostly be discussing the integration of bicycles into Minecraft by virtue of my Day-Z experience.

Edit: Dean Hall is the Day-Z developer.

i'm on it right now. I accidentally all the guns. I've played maybe 6 hours of this game, first 20 min today I find my first gun, also my next 3 guns. Have pistol, shotgun, crossbow, AKM.

It's been a long time since I've had to mess around with rar files and dig into my Program Files folder to play a game. Feels good.

When is this standalone thing coming out? Will it be a totally rewritten game, or just a standalone release with the Arma engine?

HAHAHAHA I just played this for one minute and I almost died from fear and shock. Good job, developers!

I believe the standalone will have a buyable alpha in 6 months, ontop of the Arma 3 engine (or whatever engine bohemia has).

Story: I start on a beach, the haunting string music immediately starting to work on my nerves. I've seen the Thumbs guide to DayZ so I know I should look for the nearest shed where I'll find a big gun or something. I crouch and start making my way closer to this farm. As I get closer, I hide in a bush to take in the surroundings. I look to the right; nothing. I look to the left; a zombie is shambling towards me, maybe 15 meters away. Now I'm starting to panic, since I don't know all the keys, and I'm not familiar with the mechanics of how close this zombie can get, and whether I could maybe fight him off with my fists or if I even have fists and then BAM! I'm shot dead. My mind clicked and I went into full Alt+F4 mode and now I'm back here telling you all about it. I'll try again tomorrow maybe.

I've been playing a little for a month or so and have yet to have any really good experiences, usually when I'm alone I just don't ever find a canteen or a gun. With a friend it's a bit better but generally just ends in a chaotic laggy scuffle with another group. What happened on the stream was a great stroke of luck.

Probably the most dramatic event was when I watched some guys go into a fire station and for some reason zombies in the area went batshit and all ran in after them all of a sudden (no gunshots i don't think). After it all calmed down I went inside and heard flies in the tower, where I found 4 bodies where they'd had their last stand. Some ok guns and lots of supplies. I looted quickly, knowing they'd probably be back or tell friends, but as soon as I got to the bottom of the ladder again a guy came around the corner. I shot him immediately in the chest but he got me in the head I think and we both went down.

I hope that when they revamp the inventory interface, they don't make it too slick. There's a lot of tension generated when you're trying to sort out loot in a game like this. Darkfall has a deliberately clunky item interface for this reason, when you get a kill and you're expecting trouble, you want to be bricking yourself as you desperately drag things into your bag while incredibly vulnerable. Sometimes you need to decide to just grab one thing and run for it.

I have a flashlight on my shotgun. How do I turn that on?

I think you press L, but it only works after sunset.

Clicking the left mouse button lights 'em up real good in my opinion.

Just as a precaution, if I meet Sean or whoever in my travels, will I see his name somewhere, or can I only know after I've killed him?

Just as a precaution, if I meet Sean or whoever in my travels, will I see his name somewhere, or can I only know after I've killed him?

Depending on the server's settings, you'll see their name if you put your crosshairs on them. A lot of servers disable that, though.

Dare I say it, but maybe we need an "Idle Thumbs DayZ Prone Zone" Steam group? Might help us coordinate any future in-game meets.

Well that was a long walk. Logged off by the dam Sean started. I couldn't find water for two hours and decided that a giant reservoir would probably be a good place to find it.

There is a Thumbs DayZ Steam group, but I don't know how active it is.

Does anyone have a teamspeak server or should we do skype calls if we want to meet up?

There is decent group chat in the game (as prox. voice is important to the game).

I recommend putting Thumb somewhere in your name, maybe? I picked a woman character and her name is Maginley if people see me running around.

I had a Prone Zone dream last night. Sean had organised a competitive orienteering expedition and was cycling back and forth along the route shouting at the participants.

Edit: That would be an amazing thing to do! Have somebody write scavenger hunt clues, meet at a landmark like Green Mountain, then pair off and try to complete them as quickly as possible without being murdered.

I just made this group that someone mentioned above haha I like the name!

http://steamcommunit...s/dayzpronezone

If anyone wants to join that group its public.

I say we all gather up at some point and take a picture of us all in the prone position and use that as the group avatar :)

Haha, nice timing as I asked my friend to open up the DayZ Thumbs group. So now we have 2 DayZ groups. :D

Clearly my brain has gone into DayZ overdrive, because I woke up at 5.30 this morning in a cold sweat, and swore that I heard and could see the ghillie suit man from the DayZ Haunting video standing at the edge of my bed. I literally was frozen and couldn't look round to see. I eventually snapped out of it, but that was a weird experience. I hardly ever have weird sleep experiences too.

Can't wait to play some more later.