toblix

DayZ

Something extremely fascinating and cool happened, and is happening. This game. Wow.

Great stream! I caught the last half of it. They met some random player who led them around, I don't want to spoil the ending, you can watch an archive of it.

That was cool! I didn't pay much attention to the chat, but someone said something like this happening is rare. What do others think? Or actually, what kind of stuff usually happens then?

I really want this game now, but can't afford before next month.

Stream was indeed awesome. I would love to see them have another go at it next time around.

it's a shame you can't build stuff, and dig for diamonds

Someone should totally organize an Idle Thumbs DayZ session and get 10 or 20 people running around together.

I agree, an Idle Thumbz Day is essential. We would have to pick a date, time, location and server. Green Mountain could be a good place to start, you can see it from miles away and is relatively near the coast.

Watching the second part now. So good. Haven't touched Day Z but love the level of detail and immersion.

Hilarious watching Sean play it for the first time.

Spoiler-

Pure comedy once he found that bike!

I turned this stream on right before bed lastnight, thinking that I would watch for a little bit and nod off. I ended up watching all of it until 5 am and just as engaged as I would be watching a good movie.

I have been looking for a good server to play on, if Idle Thumbs has a server could someone let me know? It would be great to play with some mature players that want to start a town in land.

Oh fuck, that was terrifying! I just heard an engine, heard gunshots and saw a crashed helicopter (randomly spawn with high level military equipment) at the same time. The heli had already been looted but the zombies became displeased at my presence. As I ran I saw a survivor's body so I killed the ten or so zombies and grabbed the silenced M4 he was carrying! Then ran for the hills.

I actually just had a similar experience. Was at the South West airstrip right after spawning with only a hatchet when I heard a really loud noise. I couldn't figure out if it was the sea or something else, so I started moving out of a warehouse to see when I caught a glimpse of a car speeding past, kicking up dirt. First vehicle I'd seen in-game and it totally freaked me out. I waited about a minute just scanning to see if it was coming back, but it didn't, so I started sprinting to the other end of the strip to safety.

But that's only half of the story. When I got to the other end and began exploring the hangers, I started hearing gunshots. Having nothing but a melee weapon, I cautiously peaked out the door to see a guy dart past in the distance followed by about a dozen zombies. He didn't see me, so I continued checking the hangers, finding nothing, and decided to go see if he died and, hopefully, left a weapon that I could crawl up and grab. I guessed he'd ducked into the building at the very end, so I slowly started to crawl up so I wouldn't attract any of the Zeds lurking about. As I started to get close to the building, I could hear his character screaming in agony, so I decided "Fuck it, might as well run upstairs to see if I can help him or steal his gear". As I ran up, he came running down, so a classic DayZ "Oh shit" moment followed by slamming the voice key and yelling "HEY I'M FRIENDLY I GOT NOTHING ON ME DON'T KILL ME" ensued. He laughed and said hey, so I ran over to join him as he went back upstairs only for him to immediately get hit by a zed out of nowhere. He fires off one shot which kills the thing, then he drops dead. I just sat there going "Oh...oh fuck...OK". The upside was I got his shotgun. The downside was that he fired off the last shot to kill the zed.

I ended up finding an AK with seven clips right after that, though. DayZ man. That story might seem lame to some, but it was so crazy seeing all that stuff happen in the game. The stream has gotten me hooked on the game again.

Yeah, we should get an in-game meet going.

I tried to join that server Sean mentioned, but it isn't showing up in DayZCommander for me. The only 1220 is a DE server.

Well that was horrible.

I spent the first two hours of the game slowly starving and needing water; finally found a farmhouse that had a little food in it and a shotgun. Crawled for another 20 minutes and found a canteen and then got jumped by a Pierre. (The beret wearing ones). He chased me through the forest until I turned and shot him but missed with all of my shells. I'm bleeding badly now and can't stop running to reload. Finally I get about thirty feet of distance between us but my blood rating is now below 4000 so I'm all blurry and drifting in and out. I shoot blindly into some white light and some how kill Pierre. I was able to stop the bleeding and drink some water but now I'm lost in the woods and can't see; making me unable to find any animals to kill to slowly restore my health.

I'm sick and alone and I'm not sure this game is fun.

Oh -- and yeah, we should try to find a better way to all join up on the same servers. I'm in SF (obvs) so sorting by ping.

Well that was horrible.

I spent the first two hours of the game slowly starving and needing water; finally found a farmhouse that had a little food in it and a shotgun. Crawled for another 20 minutes and found a canteen and then got jumped by a Pierre. (The beret wearing ones). He chased me through the forest until I turned and shot him but missed with all of my shells. I'm bleeding badly now and can't stop running to reload. Finally I get about thirty feet of distance between us but my blood rating is now below 4000 so I'm all blurry and drifting in and out. I shoot blindly into some white light and some how kill Pierre. I was able to stop the bleeding and drink some water but now I'm lost in the woods and can't see; making me unable to find any animals to kill to slowly restore my health.

I'm sick and alone and I'm not sure this game is fun.

Yeah, that's usually how my solo attempts at playing the game end up. It can be extremely brutal, especially if you find yourself low on blood like that without any equipment to hunt.

It can be hard to say DayZ is fun sometimes. In groups it definitely is, but solo is so tense that it can be god damn uncomfortable. It reminds me of playing a good horror game like Siren, Silent Hill or Amnesia; I sort of hate playing them and am having no fun while doing so, but love the experience and feel like the fun comes from putting the controller down and reflecting. It's a weird feeling to describe.

The game isn't fun and I don't think it's supposed to be. The developer gave a talk at Rezzed in which he said every decision he made was motivated by the feelings he wanted to evoke in the player. None of the feelings he talked about had anything to do with fun. They were mainly feelings of terror and desperation.

Edit: The bike does seem to be a fun generator.