Sign in to follow this  
JBRAA

Afraid of Doom3, join the club

Sissies club that is =P

LOL! Watch two guys, 14-18 something, playing Doom3, one watching and the other playing. You won't believe how high tone the guy screams. He really is afraid, and later on in the movie he not only is afraid, but is also not feeling so good what I see on his face. It's not too much of a fun movie to watch, but is interesting.

http://www.energyradio.fm/anm/templates/ftf.aspx?articleid=92&zoneid=5

:devil::devil::devil:

It has to be fake (the Doom3 one). But it is pretty scary, and much better of a game than I would have guessed.

It has to be fake (the Doom3 one). But it is pretty scary, and much better of a game than I would have guessed.

Yeah I noticed he didn't use the keyboard, and only the mouse, but he could just be reacting a little wacko.

young, innocent boys who can still scream like little girls (because they still haven't passed...hmmm...place this english puperty voice changing word here, because i don't know it) shouldn't play doom3. give them barbie instead.

The last 20 seconds where the other guy plays, makes me *evil-JBRAA*. He almost piss his pants believing his gonna die in the game. MU-HU-HA-HA-HA, MU-HU-HA-HA-HA

:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Whoa. I was just playing Doom3, looking at some ugly growth on monorail walls, when I felt a slight tingling on my hand... There was a huge spider walking on it. It totally freaked me out for a second and my instincts made me kill it. Usually I like spiders, for they hunt the more unpleasant bugs.

Doom3 so far feels like a good game, but it got a bit repetitive a long time ago (I'm somewhere in the CommTransfer), I'm not even sure why I play it any more.

Erkki, same thing happened to me and also happened to a buddy of mine while playing doom3.

So we have to come to a conclusion that Doom3 attracts spiders and Doom3 makes us kill all spiders.

Even though I do kill spiders anyway, I'm a killer. :innocent:

OK, here comes my big Doom 3-post, since I've finally played it yesterday for a couple of hours.

doom3.jpg

I consider myself an a scared gamer. I''m really not much of a horror-fan, and usually shy away from games and movies that feature things that I know I'll be afraid of later on (it was a huge mistake for me to see the Japanese Ringu, trust me). And yet, there has always been something about horror that still attracts me. Maybe it's exactly the fact that it has such a visceral effect on me, but whatever the reason: Doom 3 fascinated me. And movies such as with the girly-screamy-man only exacerbated that feeling.

So when I finally got a chance to play it at a friend's house yesterday evening, I was ready to go in and scream like no Kim Basinger* had screamed before. My buddy put out the lights and blinded the window. I took place in front of the keyboard, and he was there behind me, watching my every move. I felt a little nervous.

(*Kim Basinger being the ultimate in helpless screaming, as seen in Tim Burton's Batman)

It began. I worked my way through the introductary level, marvelled at the graphic splendour and chuckled at the way they still can't seem to do convincing lipsynching right. Then Hell broke loose, as predicted. After walking for a while, I encountered my first zombie, and shot him with a dedicated aim and cold accurateness. Was that my first zombie? Well, maybe the stuff later on would be scarier.

I'll save you a tiring depiction of my adventures further on. Yes, I did startle a few times. One of them was when I walked into a corpse that suddenly moved. Another was when an Imp leaped at my throat for the first time. The third moment was when I walked around a corner and a sitting zombie began to talk to me. Before he could get to his second word, I had pulled the trigger in an instinctive manner and killed the wounded marine. My friend burst out in laughter.

There was exactly one moment that I experienced the absolute terror that I had expected to feel throughout. It was when I was standing in a large, unlit hall and stood in the only beam of light around. Then, when zombies slowly came crawling out of the absolute darkness and into the hazed light, I panicked, clenched my teeth and went into a shooting spree. But that was the only moment I really felt the anxiety that was promised to be all-around! But though the horror was kept to a minimum, I did love the atmosphere, which was tense throughout. Combined with the sturdy graphics and programming, Doom 3 made an absolutely polished and consistently brooding impression.

Now on to the bitter ranting.

Doom 3 was doing so good in so many directions. Gone were the crates and hovering pieces of armor and life. Although health and carapace were in grand supply (at least in the earlier levels I played through), it all seemed to make sense, with armor scattered on the floor like it had fallen out of a cabinet, health tucked away in accessible consoles and goodies stored in safeguarded lockers. Someone had actually given it some thought.

But then why, WHY, couldn't they have thought of something a trifle more believable than freaking walls opening behind you?! Now I know Doom 3 is not be taken as serious science fiction. But why go through all the trouble of making a believable world if you're gonna screw the suspense of disbelief by making solid walls unsheathe to unleash a zombie at the player? It doesn't even do any service to the atmosphere; instead of creating more horror, it detracts from it by breaking the tension and making for something you and I can laugh at. Because it's just so friggin' Doom 2.

Closer to home: while playing the game it became, even if I hadn't have read the excellent Idle Thumbs-rant, extremely obvious that the whole flashlight-switcheroo was a strong gameplay mechanic. It made the whole experience that much scarier. While playing it, I even thought about it and decided I didn't want to be able to have the flashlight on at all times. And you know what? Graphics and moving walls aside; it's the flashlight-thing that will be the most memorable aspect of Doom 3. It's original feature that we'll remember it by. I certainly will.

So, that was my Doom 3 experience! On the overall I had a rollicking good time, and found out I have more of a backbone than I'd have accounted myself for! :innocent:

So we have to come to a conclusion that Doom3 attracts spiders and Doom3 makes us kill all spiders.
That's a scary thought. But it must be true because I don't remember any other game ever doing that. :)

I have a genuine own story to tell here. But it's not about Doom3. It's about getting scared though. Here's there little story: I was pushing my senses to the limit, so I could survive and frag on the hardest mode in Unreal Tournament 1, god mode. The nerves were getting "itchy", click-itchy, to as fast as possible frag my oponent. Then after playing in that mode for about 20 minutes, something happened. My g/f sneaked into the room, walking slowly behind me, and reached her head slowly to mine, without me knowing or suspecting anything, she touched her tongue on my neck. I fucking jumped my seat, stood up from chair, grabbed her arms and was scared shit. Lol. She got scared too. :clap:

I have a genuine own story to tell here. But it's not about Doom3. It's about getting scared though. Here's there little story: I was pushing my senses to the limit, so I could survive and frag on the hardest mode in Unreal Tournament 1, god mode. The nerves were getting "itchy", click-itchy, to as fast as possible frag my oponent. Then after playing in that mode for about 20 minutes, something happened. My g/f sneaked into the room, walking slowly behind me, and reached her head slowly to mine, without me knowing or suspecting anything, she touched her tongue on my neck. I fucking jumped my seat, stood up from chair, grabbed her arms and was scared shit. Lol. She got scared too. :clap:

That sounds freakin' hilarious. Actually something similar happened to me: I was playing Alien VS. Predator 2 as a marine, I was walking slowly in the darkness, then suddenly something was on the motion sensor, I panicked and started looking all around me, then suddenly my best friend poked me on the neck, I screamed and fell off my chair. Scared the crap out of my friend too.

LOL nice story. I know what you are talking about. I'm too scared to play Aliens vs Predator 2 in Marine mode. I bought it years ago and played Marine. I stopped playing in the first level, when 4-5 aliens were on crasy-rampage to kill me. I couldn't handle that, and just forgot about the game. No griefs about wasting money or anything. When I hear the sound from the Marine guns, I get the same feeling I get from Alien. That sense that only the first 2 or 3 Alien films deliver. The total thick fear, and screaming lack of control and panic. The sound is so freaky and scary because whenever it is heard, the Aliens are present. I played the game just a few days ago, but chose Predator. The company who made that game knew what they were doing. Sierra, Monolith and Fox Interactive.