Ben X

A Song Of Ice And Fire

I've only read the first book, so I'll throw that out first.

I'm curious how many people enjoy both the book and the TV show? I read the first book and then started watching the DVDs of season 1 of the TV show and quickly gave up. I guess for me it just seemed like I know everything already (plus some things when acted out just seemed silly in comparison to how I envisioned them).

I'm not trying to knock the TV show (or the book), just curious if others have had trouble consuming both forms?

Now to finish my current cook so I can read A Clash of Kings.

Yeah, the TV show made things a little, I guess, standard. A Hollywood reproduction of the middle ages. I enjoy it, but in a popcorn-y way; the books I take quite seriously, though.

I enjoyed the first series. Felt the second was pretty dull. Nothing really happened, and it was really disjointed.

I can't think of any other author who wrote their series while it was simultaneously being adapted.

Harry Potter. Dexter, maybe?

Crichton wrote The Lost World so Spielberg could make a sequel. Ian Malcolm was killed off in the original book but survived and beloved in the film, so Crichton essentially writes Malcolm back to life for the sequel.

Whoops, can't believe that I missed all those obvious answers, especially Harry Potter. I suppose my original fear of the movie/tv adaptation influencing the writer was a little unfounded.

So I finally started reading this series again, purely based on everyone's excitement here... Not sure why, but I'm finding myself seriously sucked in this time. I even missed my stop this morning! I think the fact that I know a little bit more about the world and the characters now is making it easier to appreciate what's going on sooner. When I first jumped into the world, it was a little overwhelming, and I ended up giving up before it got its hooks into me.

I hope I stick with it this time!

I seem to remember finally getting the world and the politics on page 300 or so. It was a breathless ride from thereon.

For a moment there, I genuinely thought Thereon was a place in Westeros I hadn't yet encountered and wondered why you had stuck with the books for so long without being engaged. :P

I enjoyed the first series. Felt the second was pretty dull. Nothing really happened, and it was really disjointed.

I thought the first series was good and the second series was GREAT. I really enjoy the TV series. I'd say it's my 2nd favorite show on TV behind Breaking Bad. I've read the 1st book, but only after the 2nd season was over. Maybe that influences my opinion of the show. I don't know.

I am 12% through book one (Kindle). Still enjoying it! I feel like I'm still seeing the world being set up for the story to really start kicking in, though.

I agree that the series is adapted for people who normally don't read fantasy... like me :) I'm not a big fan of fantasy but Game of Thrones is awesome and I decided to read the book. I love it!

30% through now. Still really enjoying it. Every time the book switches to another character I'm like, "Oh, I'm not that interested in them", but by the end of the chapter I'm totally engrossed in their story. Sorry to keep posting, but I kind of what to talk to people about it, but the only people I know have read the whole book, or seen all the series... and they'll likely spoil something if I talk for too long about it. This is quite a safe alternative :)

I'm up to the bit where

the new Dothraki queen humiliates her evil bro in the Dothraki Sea

I was completely taken by the books when I read them earlier this year. Great series. Book 3 was my favorite.

I'm up to the bit where

the new Dothraki queen humiliates her evil bro in the Dothraki Sea

Love that bit! I'm nearing the end of Book 3 pt 1, and I think that character's storyline is my favourite.

Pah, no way! It's got to be

Arya

whose arc is the best. (Not really a spoiler, unless you want one less possibility as to who TP was referring to.)

The best thing about this series is that you go back later (or read online) and see this other, subtle layer that makes you appreciate the work on an entirely different level. All those small things that don't quite make sense on a first read-through. It's awe-inducing.

You can figure out who

Jon Snow's mother is, for example, by the time you finish the third book.

Finished part one and haven't figured this out yet. Hope I'm not being thick! Also keeping an eye on the

Tansy

thing (wondering if it's linked to that) and

Jon Arryn's son being intended to be a ward at Frey's rather than with the Lannisters. No idea why the hell that would be important...

Plus, looking forward to

Varys and Illyrio's partnership coming to fruition now that Dany is back on track to invading Westeros and in contact with Illyrio.

If Martin never explains some of this stuff and I miss it, I'm going to have to go through some fan wikis after finishing the series to have it explained to me!

Ben, when you finish book three, tell me. I'll link you to an essay that explains it. Also, it's inevitable that you'll miss a lot. Like I keep saying, there's a second layer of work happening that most people will inevitably miss on a first read-through.

That having been said, you have a good number of clues. Don't worry about that yet, though, since you've got some really serious shit coming-up.

...you've got some really serious shit coming-up.

Indeed, books two and three are when the series really hits 88 miles an hour.

Heh... this is a big spoiler for A Storm of Swords, but someone made an "It Gets Better" video for people who just finished the book. It's pretty great: