Sign in to follow this  
Patters

Counter-Strike Idle Terrorism.

Well, that and Valve likes to experiment with pricing; another reason, perhaps? I'd be inclined to agree that CS wouldn't lend itself very well for cosmetic stuff.

True, they do like to experiment, but doing the bog-standard approach they did for years isn't really much of an experiment. Iunno.

CS is too tight. There's no play in the balance aspect. Any suggestion of pay-to-win would wreck it.

I'm confused. We were talking about cosmetic items. Or were you just bringing up a new thing? U:

I don't see any other business model working. I don't see cosmetic items working at all, especially since in go there's even less character customization than other games in the sense that your character model is chosen by the map, as opposed to the older games where you picked your own model. Also, the people who aren't serious about CS enough to pay 15 dollars for it probably wouldn't enjoy it even if it were free

I don't think your last assertion is necessarily true.

I always thought I'd hate the Lords Management genre (I didn't like Dota at all the first time I played it years and years ago), but then, because League was free, my friends were able to talk me into trying it. And now Dota 2 has usurped TF2 as my most-played game...

Also, I'm entirely nonserious about CS (it's the only way I can have fun because I fucking hate the game), but I still enjoy the game. Also also, zombie mode? Gun-game? Neither of those are super-serious modes. Which kind of makes me think... cosmetic items would work in those modes, just because they're inherently less, uh, hardcore? Hmm.

I didn't get that you were proposing funding the game purely through cosmetic items, sorry.

Heh. Yeah, I'd never suggest such a thing. I already hate that TF2 is like that, but at least the whole game is built around it. If it had happened that way in Dota 2, I honestly don't think I'd be playing it... It's a game that lives or dies by its balance. It's by no means perfectly balanced, but it is remarkably so, considering how many elements there are to the game. Introducing stat-affecting items behind a paywall? Yeah, no.

What I'm trying to say, incredibly long-windedly, is I understand what you mean when you say pay-to-win would break the game.

I think it's more about the matchmaking than it is about a paywall. Accounts are 15 bucks because it's super cheap, but expensive enough that people won't just buy a new one to smurf or cheat.

That, and I think it's similar to what people have payed for CS in the past, either when buying a super old HL copy or CS retail. And much less than the people who bought HL2 just for CS:Source.

FFFF- I've played a shit ton of CS 1.5 and 1.6 but there are so many other games I want to play right now and I know this is gonna eat all my time. T_T

So I bought this, but I'm mostly interested in just playing with a couple friends against a bunch of bots. There doesn't seem to be any way to set up a private, self-hosted, custom server without entering a dozen console commands in the correct order and then hoping your friends can connect. Is there something I'm missing here? CS: Source wasn't exactly powerful in terms of game customization, but it's miles away from this.

You can still run the traditional Half-Life Server style server. Also don't be afraid of playing against people, their match making system is actually pretty good.

Yeah, I guess I'm just irked that they got rid of the nice GUI for doing so. Port forwarding and everything! It really is like ten years never passed.

Wow this game is so much different than it was a launch. The main menu got a TF2 pass and all my rl friends are getting into it and always getting excited about drops. I'm playing this again for the first time in over a year and I'm digging it a lot. It's still no 1.5, but it'll do.

Btw, is there a normal CS:GO thread outside of multiplayer networking?

I guess not. In any case, I'm down to play something with Thumbs. Right now I'm still very much into the boring competitive stuff, but I'm down for whatever.

If we were to get a competitive team going tho, I'm gold nova 1. 

I picked up CS: GO last time it was on sale for $3. I've never played a Counter-Strike before. I played some bots the other night and it seems fun. How long will it take me until people stop universally hating how awful I am?

Follow Wrestle's patented Formula of Multiplayer Fun!

1. Play with at least one other person you "know" — forums, Twitter, IRL, whatever; just as long at they want to play with you.
  2. Use Skype or Mumble while you're playing for increased lol-sharing.
  3. Ignore everyone else, unless they're polite.

I used to play loads of old school CS and never got particularly great at it, so don't worry about that.

I think I'll reinstall Global Offensive and give it another try though. Would be very happy to play with other Thumbs; I know at least Patters has it and is fun to play alongside.

I've played a solid 200 hours of this game now. I'm Gold Nova 1. If anyone wants to play, I would be super down to play with some other Thumbs. Do you guys have regular competitive teams/partial teams happening yet?

Do you guys have regular competitive teams/partial teams happening yet?

Not that I've heard talk of to date, but it's entirely possible—Thumbs is a big Steam community!

Any Thumbs play in a clan or group regularly?

What mode do you guys tend to play?  Honestly, I've never been big on "classic" but the simple mission mode where it gives you a new weapon every kill kind of drives me nuts.  I want to be able to choose my weapon and not be stuck with a pistol if I do too well.

I mostly do regular Defuse mission MM or Deathmatch.

I'm currently sitting on Master Guardian 2 after 70ish wins. I have to say, I miss the days of Gold3. So much more fun.

As Wrestlevania said above - match making with friends is a lot more fun. Even if you're just 2 in a lobby, that's still 20% more people you know in your team.

To answer sclpls and Justing Leego's question above, never. People will always hate you for being less skilled than them. When playing MM with random people, be prepared to be hear "fucking noob", "you're so bad" and "please kick me, I don't want to play with you". It's pretty hilarious how seriously some people take this game and its match making ranks.

I'm in for whatever CS stuff ya guys wanna do. I suggest we should try sometime the community made gamemodes, the silly ones I mean, such as Jail Break or CS: Minigames. As janky as they are, they bring plenty of good fun and hilarity. As long as assholes and 10 year olds aren't in the server. :P