Sign in to follow this  
Sno

Planetary Annihilation

Interesting looking, but as other people mentioned, RTS games are not as rewarding as say an FPS. You either win or lose, and its a big time investment. If they add a single player mode I would probably back it.

Interesting looking, but as other people mentioned, RTS games are not as rewarding as say an FPS. You either win or lose, and its a big time investment. If they add a single player mode I would probably back it.

One of the stretch goals is a single-player campaign, so...

One of the stretch goals is a single-player campaign, so...

Yeah... who knows which one. If they reveal how much they need for that then I would consider putting in a few bucks.

Also, I didnt read their page that closely, but are they putting any of their own money into the production? I dont like when established companies come to Kickstarter for 100% of their budget. I like what Double Fine did using it as just a partial source.

Yeah... who knows which one. If they reveal how much they need for that then I would consider putting in a few bucks.

Also, I didnt read their page that closely, but are they putting any of their own money into the production? I dont like when established companies come to Kickstarter for 100% of their budget. I like what Double Fine did using it as just a partial source.

They're almost certainly going to have to, if they want to ship a strategy game at the level of fidelity they showed in the trailer. Also, even if that trailer stuff is entirely pre-vis, at a minimum they have spent money paying their artists to make assets and animations so far.

I wonder how much of these kickstarters are pre-orders and how much are a gauge of interest.

Either way this is right in my wheelhouse and I'm a big fan of what Uber has done with Monday Night Combat and Super MNC. I think kickstarter is about backing the team versus the final product and this team have shown they can deliver even without a publisher so I'm in for a C-bill.

I was a huge TA fan, and love the concept of planet to planet battles, so I'd love to back this, but I'm reluctant to do so without getting a ballpark idea of what kind of system specs they think this would require.

the system requirements will be astronomical

(get it? ;))

I see people asking for a campaign, and I'm genuinely surprised. Did people play the campaign in TA and SupCom? I just played endless skirmish battles against the AI when I didn't have friends to play with (never been much for going up against complete strangers, especially as I'm generally pretty bad at these games despite being very enthusiastic about them).

Anyway, definitely backing this. I have fond memories of playing TA and upping the unit cap to thousands by .ini editing. I'm a bit apprehensive about the lack of Chris Taylor involvement though.

Edit: Rob Zacny, of Three Moves Ahead, writes a bit about this for PC Gamer. It's pretty exciting!

I see people asking for a campaign, and I'm genuinely surprised. Did people play the campaign in TA and SupCom?

I did!

Those games may have not been much for story, but they had solidly designed and entertaining missions. (I remember especially enjoying the TACC campaign.)

Won't be sad if PA doesn't have a campaign though, these games were always much more about the AI skirmishes and the multiplayer, no question. (It does need to have an AI skirmish mode, they've fucked up if it doesn't. TA and SupCom were such huge and intimidating games, offline botstomps were basically the only way you could learn.)

I did!

Those games may have not been much for story, but they had solidly designed and entertaining missions. (I remember especially enjoying the TACC campaign.)

Won't be sad if PA doesn't have a campaign though, these games were always much more about the AI skirmishes and the multiplayer, no question. (It does need to have an AI skirmish mode, they've fucked up if it doesn't. TA and SupCom were such huge and intimidating games, offline botstomps were basically the only way you could learn.)

Well, the Kickstarter page says this, so we should be safe:

Play a quick skirmish with a friend on a single planet map with a low unit cap or a 12+ hour game with 40 of your closest frenemies and thousands of units. You can also hone your skills against Planetary Annihilation’s AI or team up with a friend against multiple AI’s.

Hey guys this game is officially coming out, in case you didn't notice.

Their most recently announced stretch tier is LAVA PLANETS AND METAL PLANETS.

metal_planet.png

BOY LET ME TELL YA: I LIKE THA SOUND O THAT. It's only if they get like 1.5 million dollars though, so aaaaaa maybe they won't get it.

Each new type of planet has an inherent benefit and strategies tied to it, the game sounds really really cool.

I don't have much of a PC though and am a complete alien to PC multiplayer so I am sad about that.

the system requirements will be astronomical

They said in this interview that the whole game is designed to be as cheap as possible to produce, from the perspective of coding and modelling and all the man-hours. So I'd GUESS it won't be too bad, cos everything will be kind of a little bit boxy.

BUT YEAH GOOD PUN LOL!!

I wonder how much of these kickstarters are pre-orders and how much are a gauge of interest.

Well the second pledge tier gets you the game, so... that much.

BUT YEAH GOOD PUN LOL!!

Cease and desist.

Considering the quick jump from ~600K to a mil and rising, they may very well hit 1.5.

The game sounds extremely compelling to me, and I kind of feel like I should pledge. But I know better than that from experience: I just cannot play RTS games online. Plus, there are a number of financial and hardware factors I need to sort out. Chances are I will buy this game later, after it has been released. I'm really glad to see that the kickstarter campaign reached its goal and is doing well, but Idle Thumbs shall remain only pledge for now.

My only pledges have been Idle Thumbs and Double Fine.

...So I guess this campaign needs more Chris Remo.

Needs more Nick Breckon. I think this is more up his alley.

up to over 1.1 mill now. which was the water planets stretch goal. looking good for gas giants and maybe metal planets/lava planets as well I think

this is definitely the most interested I have been in a kickstarter game project so far.. or right behind wasteland2, almost forgot about that (good thing I checked with my kickstarter backer history, forgetting about wasteland 2 could have quickly become a huge embarrassment).

nice new update for the 1.8 mill stretch goal, single player campaign, the galactic war. with video!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts/posts/303555

sounds really good. such a nice and perfect solution to how to do a single player campaign in this. will work out like a 4x, almost.

the money is 20k out from 1.3 mill now. could make it to 1.8 in the last 7 days.

That video is cool and all, and I recognise that it's a marketing campaign. But it probably still would have been quicker to say "we'll have Civilization-style campaigns rather than scripted campaigns, sound good?" Spending time telling me I can change the difficulty is also a bit of a weird choice.

Excited to see how the game turns out, though.

Well as someone who doesn't play as many games like this, spelling it all out is good for me.

And y'know, marketing! Youtube videos get around, they wanna squeeze some more use out o that Awesome.png.

Single player would be very cool, making it generate semi-random campaigns is a fun, cheap solution, good job guys!

and remember what the campaigns were like in total annihilation and supreme commander. this is a huge departure from those. I thought they did a great job in that video.

Oh my stars. The kickstarter is at about ~1.63 million right now, with three days to go. The Galactic Wars single player campaign is at 1.8 mil.

I said that as excited as I am right now, I'm not going to back the kickstarter, and instead I'll buy the game when it comes out. But if it starts to look like it's going to reach the 1.8 million stretch goal... Damnit, then I just have to pledge.

So.

At 2 million, they'll have a fully orchestral soundtrack.

At 2.1 million, they'll make a Making Of documentary from start to finish.

They're cruising towards just under 1.8 for Galactic Warfare, so I doubt they'll hit the 2 million mark, but we'll see.