Sully907

Madden 2013 Demo/Discussion

I know I can be the only sports gamer/NFL fan on the boards. So what do you nerds think about the recently released demo? I'm a 49ers fan, so I was ecstatic they let you play as them in the demo.

First thought: The new physics engine, touted by EA as this big new feature, actually appears to fundamentally effect gameplay in a posititve way. One run I had in particular came to mind, I was running to the right, and ran into my right guard. In past versions of madden, you could keep running in place/bounce around until you found a gap through the hole, or got tackled. This time, my guard got pushed back into me, cut out my legs, and the run went for no gain. I found this small improvement very encouraging about the future of the game.

Second Thought: Touch passing and precision passes appears to work a lot better now. In madden 12 if you tried to throw a touch pass, it would hang up in the air forever and more then likely get intercepted. So online madden 12 play evolved into everyone only ever throwing bullet passes. Now it appears you can lead receivers into open areas without being instantly punished if the receiver is actually open.

Downsides: Several sound and graphics glitches in the demo, but the good part was, most of them were between plays, so it didn't effect the play to play experience as much

I didn't know the demo was out, I'll have to check it out tonight.

I haven't played a Madden game since 10 I think, but I was planning on picking up this one. Sounds like it'll be one of their more 'on' years.

I'm always tempted by these games, because they look impressive, but I can't play them. They've become so ridiculously complex through the years!

I want something that looks like Madden but plays like Blitz or Tecmo Bowl.

Or Mutant League football. I actually quite miss fantastical/science-fictiony action sports games. Speedball, Hyperblade, Super Baseball 2020… that was a great genre.

I had to stop playing sports games because they took up too much time. I was burying a lot of my time and energy into career modes in sports game. I'm terrible at them despite all this investment, too, so online multiplayer didn't work out for me. That being said, I'm always curious with new Maddens. I know that one of these years soon, I'll dive in and get one. It's kind of nice, actually, because I don't have to worry about that year's edition being too close to the previous one as I hadn't played it.

Incidentally, my favourite Madden is still 03. And I would love to see more sci-fi action sports games.

I'm getting this today. I played the demo, and I'm a sucker for physicsy animation systems. It can make for some really cool and/or goofy shit.

It'll be interesting to see if I can get a grip on the controls and stuff… it's crazy how much shit you can do. I only have the barest understanding of football, so I don't even know what half the words mean. At least with Kinect, I can shout at my TV.

Advertising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgMT2YqsLw&feature=relmfu

If anyone wants to push my face into the dirt, add Xbutts 360.

I made a thing about the new Madden.

Wow creepy. Makes me feel less wierd about turning it to face the wall when i'm not using it.

I just created my "Gameface," so now I'll be able to watch a creepy-looking mannequin version of me get twisted around like a pretzel and tripped up all over the pitch.

pr6N6.png

sports games

if anyone is on the ps3 and wants to join a great sim style league with active forums, check out ps3-madden-players-league.com I've been playing with these same guys for 5 years, it's great, we've got a few spots open