Korax

Sleeping Dogs

Finished it, and thought it was pretty good. Anyone else think the driving felt a bit off? For some reason, fine-steering was unpossible because of a huge joystick deadzone, so either you're not turning at all, or you're turning too much. I didn't find a way of changing it in the options, so I ended up doing a lot of juddery steering. Also, drifting physics was awful. The car drives just fine around turns until that magical point where it decides «FUCK YEA DRIFTIN TIME BITCHCHHH» and suddenly rotates your car 180 degrees into a bus stop.

I played on ps3, but I didn't really have a problem except when trying to maneuver a bike in a small space (I kept trying to do a kind of donut->peelout thing that seemed to work pretty well in a car but it never seemed to work out the way I wanted it to on a bike). I think GTA is probably more realistic, but SD gives a better sensation of going fast while still being somewhat in control. The drifting bothered me a bit in the beginning, but I guess I got used to it?

I doubt i'll finish this game now, not sure how far through i am (Just did the wedding mission) but its all starting to feel a bit samey. I've done a hell of a lot of side mission stuff perhaps that's way i'm getting a little bored. Maybe if i just focused on the main story i'll get a bit more variety in missions.....but i can't do that, i'm obsessed with doing all the little side missions and then i just get burnt out, this happens alot for me with these type of games

Can't say i really care about the story, and the lock box/security cam mini games are really starting to grate on me.

If i get Resident evil 6 on Tuesday, this game will probably never see the light of day again

So much of the side mission stuff is too repetitive. The jade statues are cool, since there aren't that many of them, and each one gives you a new combat move. The health shrines were pretty great too – clearly visible, none of them hidden in dumb places, and motivating you to fully explore the city. The cameras were completely unnecessary, and there were too many, too weirdly hidden lockboxes.

The drug bust thing seemed at first like a cool concept, but then I realised they were all exactly the same, only with increasingly annoying accesibility. The whole thing where you point out the guy on the screen – obviously this is just an unfinished version of a potentially great idea. I wonder what happened there.

All the races were too easy, I felt. If you just drove responsibly, your idiot competitors would just at some point form a pile of exploding cars and let you win easily.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how great the radio stations were. They were pretty great. No doubt I'll for the rest of my life be able to hear any one of those songs and instantly be transported back to Hong Kong.

We went on holiday to hong kong in may and it was kinda the main reason I wanted to play the game, to re visit locations and such like in game

But the game doesn't really recreate any area of Hong Kong. Don't get me wrong it's a fun video game city but its not Hong Kong. locations like Victoria peak is absolutely nothing like real life, bit of a let down. They could at least got the harbour and the hong king ferrys in. (Does the game have ferrys, I haven't noticed)

Maybe they got the skyline right, but the camera never let's you look up that high

Sleeping dog can't look up

The drug bust thing seemed at first like a cool concept, but then I realised they were all exactly the same, only with increasingly annoying accesibility. The whole thing where you point out the guy on the screen – obviously this is just an unfinished version of a potentially great idea. I wonder what happened there.

I'm guessing you were originally supposed to read the body language and behavior of the suspect, but in practice it didn't work, so they added the little target indicator instead. That's the kind of situation where you need to take a deep breath and do some real editing; those missions should have been excised entirely.

I know it sucks to kill something that a lot of work and resources went into, but fuck me, it's not like the game doesn't have enough crap in it already.

When it rains, this game is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Agreed.

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I never liked the gunplay in GTA games, and I'm glad that this game, so far, has focused on melee combat, even if I'm not very good at it. The city is beautiful and the graphics, at least on PC, are simply incredible.

Also, adjusting the volume of the radio using the gamepad. :tup:

Also, adjusting the volume of the radio using the gamepad. :tup:

In game? oh wow, didn't know that.

Just finished the game, don't like the ending...but still got lots of tasks to complete, some of them are really awesome!

I enjoyed this game to the extent that I actually finished it (which is increasingly rare for me nowadays).

I think the game got most of the open word stuff right: the city was interesting and not too large, the cops were easy enough to get rid of, all the missions were relatively short, you actually gained something from playing the side-missions, etc. I also liked the fact that non-combat missions were sprinkled throughout the story, similar to Mafia games. The only thing I can think of that I really disliked was the hospital system. Why can't I just restart after a failed drug bust like I would do with other missions?

I got this on sale and I'm loving it so far, but... am I the only one salivating seeing all the delicious Chinese food? Why does the game have to start in market and why does the "Boss" have a restaurant? I kinda wish the game had a larger variety of food, but it seems every store only sells one type of food? Is Dragon Kick the only soda there?

It's kinda my own metagame, eat all the different type of foods, but if there is so little variety, it's not really a challenge.

There is an achievement for consuming 10 types of foods and drinks. Probably not more variety than that.

Also, I find it very hard to believe that a Chinese food vendor would yell "FOOD ON A STICK!"

I find it almost offensive that it's only 10 types of food. I guess I can blame this on the Yazuka games were even an ice cream shop have at least ten items in it.

I'm really enjoying the narrative so far, I've never playing as an undercover cop before (maybe an undercover mission) and it's fascinating seeing how the pressure of his job is affecting him.

I seem to be getting use to the combat, before when I had to clear a street of thugs I ran them over with a car, now I just confront them head on.

And this game gets major bonus point for having missions that make collectibles appear on the map and having the ones you already picked up appear as taken. I might actually try to complete this game...

Then again it does have a karaoke minigame and I'm pretty sure there is racing. I've never managed to outrun the cops, I just ram into them. so racing sounds dreadful.

You can ram the opponents as well. An there are not too many obligatory races and karaoke sessions.

Yeah, but it kinda sucks to know I won't be able to 100% it now, I've managed to complete all side missions, but I failed at the racing ones, maybe it can be done with better cars?

Either way, I don't care. I won't let such a simple thing spoil how much I'm enjoying the city and the story.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good game and I can tell that the game designers went through a lot to create an authentic atmosphere and had successfully done so. But to me, this game has reached a level of uncanny valley similar to how people would react to those Japanese androids.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I had no problem playing Stranglehold and had a blast playing as Chow Yun Fat, but there is something to this game where it feels... off. I just can't put a finger on it.

I suppose this is how Americans would feel when Japanese game makers try to make games set in an America city, or would you be weirded out no matter which developer made it? Anyone feel weird playing Driver: San Francisco while they actually live in San Francisco?

It weird me out too, I had the same feeling with GTA4 and the ballad of gay tony with "Luis Fernando Lopez" I'm Hispanic myself.

It can also be just that the lack of diversity (protagonist / setting) in Video games is actually conditioning our expectations. I remember a forum discussion some guy was asking Rockstar to do a GTA game outside America, most people had negative reactions to the proposal.. so there is that.

Does anybody know if you have to complete the game to play the upcoming Halloween DLC? All I know is that it happens after a certain character dies, but I don't even think I met this person yet.

Speaking of which, I really regret buying the DLC on sale, while I love the goofy retro triad getup, but the XP boost? It's too much! I'm sure I'm far from the ending and I'm already maxed out in nearly everything!

So i completed it lastnight and i feel that it was a good game over all, I did like the gangster side to the story, but i just felt weird helping out cops when i am meant to be undercover. Wouldnt you just blow your cover?

Unless you just spoiled the ending and he actually helps the cops in front of triad, they don't have to find out. Their excuse, a believable one, is that since Wei is willing to kill other gangsters he can't be a real cop, because a real cop wouldn't. I haven't reached the ending yet, but Wei looks pretty screwed, if the cops figure out the things he's done to gain the confidence of the triad? He's screwed! And I don't even have to mention what will happen if the triad find out he's a rat.

As for the cop story missions, they always play out in a way that shouldn't implicate him, they don't know he can hack cameras from drug busts and most missions for the cops end up with him being stealthy or running away from the cops.

I havent spoiled it with that coment dont worry, but i just felt that it wasnt that belivable. And your undercover, so anything you do to gain trust of the triad wont matter, why would the police care? and the suspicion of the traids just disapears after a killing a guy with a gun, really? i just kicked the living shit out of hundereds of people (inculding putting peoples heads through saw blades) why would they care if wei put a bullet in someones head?

Wow, I can't believe I managed to 100% this game, even the racing parts. I even enjoyed the ending except for the part when

Wei magically recovers from the torture to beat up his captors, I'd rather have him deal with them in a more stealthy way like in the beginning... And then he can just freerun after getting his knee drilled? NOPE! I felt terrible for Charlie, he wanted to leave the live of crime and was never that bad to begin with... No I wonder if they only made his character sympathetic just because he was going to die.

I did enjoy the ending sequence though, I wondered why Uncle Po died all of the sudden. And I can understand the Sun On Yee not going after Wei, Auntie was right, he was loyal to them in his own "Wei". Not to mention that after what he did in the final sequence... Why would anybody want to mess with him?

My only complaint is that by the time I had gotten good at the fighting parts, good enough to beat a martial arts club without getting bloody at all, all the final missions were gun based.

Oh, and I'm also upset about the DLC, what's the point of getting a cool sword if you can't use it in any mission? Heck, I can't even use my car in most missions either. I'm so getting the Halloween DLC... But knowing Squenix, they might charge more than I payed for the game for it, since this is an actual mini expansion. :|

Just finished it. Definitely has been my favorite sandbox game in a long while. The atmosphere, for the most part, is great. Driving through rain-slicked streets listening to 90s techno as vendors hawk their wares under the neon glow of a hundred store signs - I could almost smell the duck lard frying. And the story, while fairly generic, was well executed. It zipped along at a reasonable pace, and was met with little resistance from the side missions. To it's benefit, the emphasis of Sleeping Dogs is placed on the central narrative, so you never feel like you're aimlessly wandering around doing filler. Well, 'never' is too strong. Many of the side missions are very much filler. All the races are too easy, the dating is so ridiculously superficial, the random events are dull and repetitive. Thankfully you don't have to do most of them. They're very much optional, my face meter was full 3/4 into the game so I clearly didn't have to do as many face meter quests as I did.

The fighting and gunplay are both miles better than anything in the genre. I hope every subsequent game takes notice. They've really managed to make the micro as believable as the macro. The city feels real when you're driving at 60 miles and hour through it, and the thugs feel real as you're driving your fist into their face. It still suffers from the floaty physics and sluggish responsiveness endemic to gta-alikes but I'd say its still a step in the right direction.

The dating missions are more fun that the GTA ones, specially since you unlock having hidden items appear on your map if you complete them.

Did anybody play the Halloween DLC?