Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Fable gone gold

Fable is an intriguing venture, certainly.

Obviously, there are elements of the game that we have seen elsewhere, but that's the same with everything.

I like how you make this as difficult as you want to make it. Sometimes, people won't finish a game, for the simple fact, that they think the allotted amount of time to complete it, is sheer ludicrosy, and would rather just "pick up and play".

I'm one for examining everything intracately to the last pixel, so I don't mind making a meal out of my games.

Either way, I see this being a big hit. Considering this was due to be a launch title, Xbox owners have been waiting a while, and I'd imagine they'll be all too eager to get their hands on it.

September is a great month to be a gamer, for sure this year!

Half-Life had the same effect on me - loved the experience but wasn't interested in replaying the whole long thing. But Splinter Cell and Max Payne 2, replayed these again and enjoyed them.

I can't ever fathom how some adventure gamers claim to love replaying, say, The Longest Journey. WhyTF would you wanna subject yourself to that moronic ducky+pliers+glove+tampon puzzle over and over? Especially when you already know the solution? Story? puh-LEEZ, you already know what happens, the only excuse left is that of sentiment, and I find that to be a crock of bs. Just an excuse to avoid better replayability titles like Beyond Good & Evil, or Windwaker.

Adventure games lose a big something after the first play - the challenge of the gameplay. But personally I really enjoy replaying some of them from time to time, at least the old LucasArts adventures. My appreciation and love for those only increases with each replay. I admit there's probably some element of pathetic sentiment/nostalgia in that I can go back to Monkey Island 2 or Grim Fandango yet another time, but at the same time I'm enjoying the animation, the art, the music, the storytelling, all over again. The way I see it, I probably watch my favourite movies many many times a year, knowing exactly what's going to happen, but I still find it an enjoyable experience. I probably notice and like new things about them every time.

If I played games just for the challenge or to 'beat' them then I could see the argument, because virtually all the classic adventure games are the same puzzles every time. But I enjoy a lot of other stuff about games than just the beating of them.

Grim and Full Throttle are supremely replayable in the exact way a good movie in similar genres to those games is supremely rewatchable. Grim and Full Throttle just have the benefit of like 80x and 5x as much brilliant dialogue as an average movie, respectively.

Replaying an adventure for the puzzles is silly.

So how about that Fable eh? :gaming:

GameSpot's Greg Kasavin has also reviewed the game. Thankfully, he treated it just like any other game, so no 8 pages (just 3). I have only watched the video review, but I assume the text review is the same with just more detail.

His opinion is pretty similar to the previous reviews (the score is 8.6), and mentions a couple of new details about the game that weren't in the two 8-page reviews.

When I found out how much I have to pay for my education this semester, I've forced my excitement about Fable to fade (can't afford the Xbox), but it still seems like I'm going to love it when I eventually play it. My only concern is that as the interactions with NPC's are reportedly quite superficial, I may lose interest in the sandbox side of it and just play through the main story + sidequests.

If I played games just for the challenge or to 'beat' them then I could see the argument, because virtually all the classic adventure games are the same puzzles every time. But I enjoy a lot of other stuff about games than just the beating of them.

Which is why I see myself re-playing Beyond Good & Evil and Deus Ex in the near future. A good story, more or less compelling, is in both of these titles, but you also have the challenging winding gameplay [with looter chases and minigames in BG&E] and [in the case of DX] relative freedom to customize your experience. Best of both worlds? Why NOT?!!

This is something that adventure game developers have failed to tap into, that it is possible to extend the value of a game aside from mere charms of story and character.

Don't be, you'll have yours soon enough. I forced my niece to play it, and she started to really get into it. She decided she didn't want to get married, and she squealed on that married guy who was having an affair after he tried to bribe her.

So the free-roaming best-ever-in-mankind's-history RPG where you could do anything etc, saddles everyone up with the same quests where everyone will just squeal?

Oh, not just squeal. You can also fart in public, flirt with women and men, kick bandit ass in nothing but your underwear, marry more than one person, get tattoos and haircuts, steal everything in sight, have sex, and be renowned as a chicken chaser. And all that's just to start...

Well I'll just await the most excellent Idle Thumbs review then to see what it's like. And then read a dozen reviews more, and then not buy it anyway because I've neither an X-Box nor an up-to-date PC.

Well I'll just await the most excellent Idle Thumbs review then to see what it's like. And then read a dozen reviews more, and then not buy it anyway because I've neither an X-Box nor an up-to-date PC.
That's the spirit!

I would but then I'd have to start kissing my own ass as soon as I get some articles out. And that would be just awkward, not to mention physically impossible.

I could come around this by cloning myself of course. And hey, why not?

Regarding game length, I know one person who's beaten Fable (but not completed it) in under 9 hours without trying to go fast. Also, apparently once you beat the game, you can't go back and do the stuff you didn't do.

I read that you can... you just have to sit through the apparently twenty minute long credits before you can. But I haven't played it, so what do I know.

I spoke to a friend on Saturday who has been playing it. He said he is not really into that sort of game (had to play it for work) but he was drawn right into it and liked it a lot.

I know a friend who beat the game having done almost everything there is to do and he was allowed to continue playing. Perhaps once you've done every single quest the game truly ends.

I don't know this from personal experience, so I could be wrong -- but from what I understand, there's very little for you to go back and do anyways after you've beaten the storyline. There aren't very many side quests, and there aren't any new ones after you beat the storyline. Furthermore, some of the key areas of the game are locked away after the storyline is over and you can't go back to visit them.

Again, this is only what I've read...........haven't done any of this yet.

So, I just finished it.

Why the Hell do all these console RPGs end up with a boss fight that is the lamest part of the game? And why did the ending suck so much, and why wasn't this game anything special? If they'd scrapped all the Sims bullshit and focused on making more quests and less annoying world design it'd probably be above averagely cool. Even if you subtract all the hype it strikes me as a game with a really unbalanced design.