toblix

Routine

But surely beating the game with respawns modded out is preferable to abandoning it forever. And System Shock 2 might not be as scary without the spawns, but it's still scary to a certain degree. It's not like it kills the game entirely, it just cuts down on the tension. It also cuts down on the tedium: weapon degradation and limited ammunition makes it pretty annoying to deal with spawns unless you love being Señor Wrenchman, the Wrenchmaster of Space.

Really? I never noticed that, or at least, I don't recall re-spawning enemies. So they must have done it quite well.

From what i recall, there was respawns but it wasn't the whole map. Every so often a mob would appear in a cleared area. Like the screaming monkeys that haunt my nights.

SS2 would just quietly spawn in enemies outside of your line of sight and have them start roaming around.

To be sure, I dreaded going back to certain spaces because of respawn. I dreaded it so much that I never played it again, which to me is an indication that I should mod. It will lessen the creepiness of the thing, but won't destroy the atmosphere on the ship.

Trailer looks cool... art style looks amazing... Im getting excited... Its on THE MOON!... FLOPPY DISKS!... PERMA-DEATH * SCREECH*

I will most likely never buy or play this game. I hate this mechanic so so so so so much. It was awful in Reciever and it will be awful here too. It is a cheap and artificial way to create tension, and I have literally 0 interest in replaying the same content over and over because my reflexes werent fast enough or I cant shoot/run away quick enough. I hate games that do this, I think its the complete opposite direction of where games should be going.

God, i hate that, i hate that being how so many people experience that game, i think it is just colossally missing the point.

System Shock 2 is scary because you cannot make an area safe, you can have your back turned while you're hacking a door lock, and there are always enemies roaming around in that space behind you.

Goddamn psichimps.

I'm excited enough by the aesthetic that I'm sure I'll buy it regardless. (And fearquit very soon after, as with Amnesia)

Someone here with big hard steel balls, like TheJamesM, should do a narrated playthrough on Youtube.

I've played a ton of scary games, so I think I could probably get through this without pooping too much. If there is demand for a narrated playthrough, I will oblige.

Either way, this is definitely a day one perch for me.

Oh god, seeing the Oculus VR logo at the end of the teaser might be the scariest part of the whole thing.

Woooow, that looks beautiful. I love the vision behind this thing! I might even play it and shit my pants once I get the consumer version of the Rift.

I love the shitty, framey night-vision camera on the gun. That's such a great, clever little way to make your window into the surrounding darkness unreliable.

The way the computer interactions are handled also reminds me very much of Doom 3, and it's something i've wished more games would do. No separate UI, no snap zoom on the computer screen, it's just another thing in the environment and you interact with it from your initial perspective. It's so much more of an immersive way to handle it, i think.

Very excited to play this game now.

Last three comments also could be about Poutine, the Game. Esp the shit pants bit.

I hope this game comes with a pansy-mode. I would really love to explore that world without starting from scratch every time I make a mistake.

I keep going back and rewatching that gameplay trailer. I am so stoked for this game.