Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Remember Me

Apparently everyone is making the next Assassin's Creed, and Capcom is working on Remember Me, which looks like a futuristic 3rd person traverse-em-up with a "memory remix" thing whereby you change people's memories to complete objectives. Here's an early gameplay video. It doesn't say which platform it's running on or being released for, but to me it looks like they're pushing a 360 about as far as it'll go.

Everything about this game looks pretty dumb, but it's too early to really start trashing it.

Could be interesting, but that gameplay video wasn't too promising.

The UI and visual effects (at this point at least) are even more annoying and/or distracting than in Assassin's Creed. Also, I don't understand why the memory space is incredibly dull and clinical, even though they could just as well have made it totally awesome.

I do like how appalled the protagonist is by the idea of having to kill someone, yet is perfectly okay with forcing him to kill himself.

I got excited and intrigued when the memory came up and there were various ways of screwing with it, and was then instantly disappointed when the player was only allowed to make one choice before the scene started and was then trial-and-errored through pretty quickly. I wanted to see what would happen if the mirror and light were turned off, maybe she would have turned back to him and then there would have been make up sex in the darkness!

Ah well, we'll see what comes but I suspect if this game ends up being any good it will be more through polish than innovation. Which often doesn't especially bother me, to be honest.

It has a Beyond Good & Evil / Mirror's Edge vibe. I'm holding out judgment for the while being. The gameplay seemed somewhat heavy-handed, but given enough freedom it could be fun.

I gather they're in Paris, after what the guy said about a ceremony. Why is no one speaking French? What would be the point of setting a game in Paris if you're not going to leverage anything Parisy or Frenchy?

I hope it takes a Philip K Dickian turn with your character questioning her own memories, and being unable to differentiate between reality and fantasy by the end. It's kind of an obvious storytelling thing now, but games haven't played around with that much, have they?

Might be okay, I like it, but seems a bit bland.... I guess after that Watch Dogs it's a bit hard to top with something similar.

Also, I don't have much faith in Capcom games, but thats just me.

Also, if it's current gen, it looks really good. If it's next gen, meh, the characters are pretty stiff... the automated suitcase was priceless though.

Did they ever establish a time line for his memory? Did his wife walk on him that day? Seemed weird he would freak out after it was implanted right when it happened. Presentation is neat, but the whole remixing would be a little cooler if it was more interactive ala Psychonaughts/Inception rather than choose your adventure style... How do you lose something like that? You fail and try again until you click ever option? Seems like that would be a bit boring... but its just a quick preview

Also, I don't have much faith in Capcom games, but thats just me.

Capcom is fine, it's just that any time they work with an overseas developer, it all goes ten kinds of wrong.

This game is, as it would happen, Capcom working with an overseas developer.

Everything about this game looks pretty dumb, but it's too early to really start trashing it.

It's never too early to make largely unfounded sweeping negative judgments! For instance, I really don't like how

the guy shot himself once you fiddled with his memory. He thought he killed his wife, then that guy came on the screen and said "alright we're taking you to the courthouse" so the first guy said "you'll never take me alive!" and blew his brains out just before his wife showed up. I sat there wondering "what if that second guy had said 'your wife and I are on our way to take you to the courthouse?' or something?" The tiny story clip we've seen is just horrendously contrived.

I also don't like the look of the camera they have. It does a lot of stuff that seems like it takes a sort of fixed perspective on your character when you're platforming, which I dislike.

I see the potential for the story stuff to get into so-bad-it's-good/unintentional hilarity territory. Which won't be enough to get me to buy the game, but if rest of it is solid, maybe?