toblix

Half-Life 3

Huh, Valve are actually shipping something

Well HTC announced the date and HTC do actually ship shit, and are a public company so they'll take a hit if they don't, so I imagine they'll probably actually ship.

All that proves is that HTC didn't do their research on Valve before inking the deal. 

Disguised links to flashing stuff are not cool, Megaspel. You could physically hurt someone and that makes you a dick.

If I can't play non-steam games on this thing then it is useless to me. Oculus has announced Unity-Free support so hopefully Vive will too.

I think Steam VR will be pretty open and support all devices (same with Unity/UE) but this will almost certainly beat consumer Oculus to market, with some extra functionality it doesn't currently have like the "presence" room device thing. Very interesting

omg omg omg hot scoop from irc

<BigJKO> Half-Life 3 VR-exclusive announcement upcoming!!

omg omg omg hot scoop from irc

OMG, solid lead there Twig. Well done! :tup:

The question I have is: UE4 and Unity 5 are also free to small developers. What exactly does Source 2 have over them given that both UE4 and Unity are mature tools with vibrant ecosystems around them? Especially since UE4 and Unity support asset streaming and Source 1 does not. (If Source 2 doesn't support asset streaming...)

Source 2 brings Valve, of course!

But I dunno if we can glean from this that Valve actually REALLY intends to compete with Unreal and Unity. 

I saw some speculation that Source 2 games may be required to be Steam exclusive, which would allow Valve to make the full-featured engine free with no (other) strings attached. That might be attractive to some developers, I suppose.

But yeah, without more info it does seem like a hard sell compared to the other two.

Steam Link sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'd love to have in my entertainment center. I've been thinking of building a gaming PC and wondered whether I should try to connect it to my TV or leave it as-is. If Valve wants to do all the work of setting the thing up for me, I'll gladly give them fifty bucks for it.

Yeah I definitely plan to get one of those (once I have an entertainment center).

Biggest selling point for Source 2 is eventual Half-Life 3 mod support (shut up i am dreaming)

Would it be too meta to make a Haberdashery Simulator with Source 2 and release it on Steam?

Would it be too meta to make a Haberdashery Simulator with Source 2 and release it on Steam?

No, please. Some things just have to be made.