toblix

Half-Life 3

I will have to listen to that Econtalk podcast sometime.

I'm not convinced that people really separate Valve, administrator of Steam and Valve, creator of video games, as much as people think, purely judging from Reddit, but I'm willing to concede it goes on enough that residual goodwill from Steam sales is not the only thing propping up their reputation. I think it's a good point that the designers leaving Valve are working on games very similar to the ones they made, and that from what we know of Valve it seems likely they floated the idea and no-one bit. I think we haven't seen Half-Life [2: Episode] 3 for the same reason.

People get fuzzy memories out of spending too much money? Is this a real thing?

Yep. It's called post-purchase rationalisation, a specific version of choice-supportive bias. If we have the choice, we'd prefer to think our past decisions were wise ones.

It's called post-purchase rationalisation, a specific version of choice-supportive bias. If we have the choice, we'd prefer to think our past decisions were wise ones.

Yeah, I remember reading about several experiments related to that in an article explaining how fanboys happen. People were presented with two (effectively identical) postcards and told to rate various aspects of both numerically. Once done, they had to choose one to keep, were left alone with it for some hours, then were asked to change or confirm their numerical ratings before being allowed to leave. The upshot across the board for all participants was something like a forty-percent rise in the rating of the postcard they chose and a fifteen-percent drop in the one they didn't. It makes me feel really freaked out about my own brain.

It makes me feel really freaked out about my own brain.

By way of your brain. Your brain is capable of freaking out over itself apparently.

I don't think the brain is totally responsible for the freakout. It's the research that's freaking you out. Just because you need a brain to understand the research doesn't mean the brain is causing the freakout that it's experiencing.

i don't even know what's real anymore

Valve announced today that Half-Life 3 would be released in the liminal state between waking and sleeping, a perceptual universe where the mind begins to turn inward and extend outward, opening up possibilities as wide as our imagination with the power to not just emotionally affect us, but change how we understand our own lives.

Several SKUs will be available, with more information coming sometime next month.

i don't even know what's real anymore

You ARE Tyler Durden!

In other news, maybe we'll get to see another tech demo at GDC? They said they're (finally) replacing Source. Which is a good move on so many levels. Outdated structurally, from rendering pipeline to multithreading, to etc. And it's outdated as an editor and toolset, with things like Unity and UE4 having as close to "all realtime, all the time, What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG)" Editing, which is really nice once you've used it.

I still remember being amazed by the initial source tech demo all those years ago. A gray room full of physics and shit. And then there was the Half Life 2 demo, "Will this run on my 486?" Hard to believe Portal 2 came out in 2011, and Episode 2 came out 6 years ago! Still, at least they test all their levels on actual people. It's embarrassing to see all these other games that take years to come out and never seem to test on people, and then things that obviously shouldn't have gone in crop up and it's just "whoops! Guess we spent six years making a game that wasn't actually that great."

Oh, okay. Don't worry, it won't happen again. The next time will be real.

Don't bump this thread during E3, you nerds. My heart can't take it.

Well, I was trying to give Rodi a heart attack, but this'll do.

I can't believe it's 2013 and this is the first we're hearing that the words "Half-Life 3" have even been uttered inside the walls of Valve headquarters.