toblix

Half-Life 3

I think asset creation is a bigger limit than hardware capability, and the whole outsourcing to Singapore-thing will also reach a limit. Looking the the credits for a game like Assassins Creed 2 you get the feeling that we're on a breaking point, how much longer can you just throw more money at a project as it grows in scope? While it certainly is profitable, I don't think it is sustainable in the long run.

Yep, which is why we're heading for a crash. If half the developers going out of business at the turn of the last generation and the other half having to be bought out by giant publishers wasn't a sign...

I reckon Valve will do Episode 3 in a very similar manner to Eps 1 and 2, to wrap up this Combine Occupation section of the story, then have Gordon wake up on some other place/time for HL3 in the new Source engine, developing them concurrently.

This is the one thing that totally bugs me that people overlook:

From the moment you're on the train arriving at city 17, through to the sobbing fade-out crying of Episode 2, it is all one entirely linear sequence of events.

I played HL2+Ep1+Ep2 straight last xmas. The setting starts in daylight and cycless through at least three nights. No unconcious knock-outs, no fade-outs. Jusat four days of Gordon Freeman machinist illusory events..

When Gaben was speaking on a podcast early this year, the team on "Richochet 2" he said - something to the degree - that the team on it are piecing together the entire narrative fiction of the universe at the then present.

I'd rather have the real Ricochet 2. ):

Also: pretty sure everyone realizes HL2/Ep1/Ep2 are all exactly connected. Ben X was referring to the jump between HL1 and HL2, and expressing his theory that Valve will make the jump to HL3 in a very similar manner.

Ben X was referring to the jump between HL1 and HL2, and expressing his theory that Valve will make the jump to HL3 in a very similar manner.

If that is true, thats still four days of intense rebels fighting, puzzle solving, traumatising events.

H.E.V suit includes by-pass?

But he also theorized they'd FINISH what's left of HL2 and then MOVE ON to HL3 via G-Man Jump™.

I think Tundra's point is that by the end of Ep2, Gordon has been awake four days on the power of adrenaline.

I think Tundra's point is that by the end of Ep2, Gordon has been awake four days on the power of adrenaline.

yep

Ahhh. Makes more sense.

This's just in! In Half Life 3 you will play as the daughter of Gordon Freeman, called "Issenta". Together with your buddy Holly you will try to free the Freeman from captivity of the aliens.

Half Life 3 open world...

so basically Half life x Far Cry 2?

Clint Hocking works at Valve now so I very much like to think that after he was hired by Gabe, this is exactly the route for Half Life 2:Episode 3 / Half Life 3.

Of course now that I'm reading the thread further, you guys already talked about this.

But yeah, there are so many incredibly talented guys at Valve working right now that I'm sure in the end the continuation to Half Life will be awesome, if they make it single player game. I will have to go on crusade around the world to beat up Gabe if he makes this an online game only.

That thinking is so 2007. Half-Life 3D will be an open world exploratory season-changing puzzle game with crafting, released only for the Oculus Rift.

Remember how abruptly Half-Life 2 ends? "Well, I guess I just killed Alyx and everyone in the City in a massive explosion. Ah, well; on to wherever the G-Man takes me next!"

This reminds me that Gordon Freeman is actually Dr. Sam Beckett.

They should get Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell as voice actors in HL3.

OK let's just make a quick rule here, that you can't post in this topic anymore until there is actually news about a Half-Life 3 announcement. I will flip out if you keep joking around here.

OK let's just make a quick rule here, that you can't post in this topic anymore until there is actually news about a Half-Life 3 announcement. I will flip out if you keep joking around here.

then this thread is just a news post like reddit? even if you are as i suspect joking i love the theories on here, and also that this forum hasn't any ...miscreants. (That is snobbish even for me, but i am British, it is my reason d'etre. that and contempt at everything)

Clint Hocking works at Valve now so I very much like to think that after he was hired by Gabe, this is exactly the route for Half Life 2:Episode 3 / Half Life 3.

Same here @Kolzig. i also like games that break up the gunplay/puzzleplay with areas to explore freely. Uncharted 2 had the Tibetan village and alot of the snow areas.

[As opposed to Uncharted 3 which for me and other critical reviews overloaded the gunplay. the boat from the E3 press conference had only stealth, then in the game it wasnt just gunplay for gunplay's sake but it was a chore. it just kept coming in waves and tarnished my love of the series irreconcilably. The london bit at the beginning was a stereotype of characters...from 1950's. London has more languages spoken than any other city in europe. before the bluemonsters i felt Uncharted 2 could happen in real life.]

I feel Half-Life could happen in real life. i still want tightly choreographed linear flow of immersive cinematic with Valves level of polish. but i'd love a freeform area to explore, with no established enemies to hinder my exploration.

My fear is that the only other game to do that in singleplayer online in recent memory was RAGE.

It's OK, it's good. I just hope my heart can take seeing the HL3 topic getting new posts every once in a while. False alarm, guys, nothing actually announced!

Whoa hold on are you saying the word MISCREANT is snobbish? WORLD VIEW TOSSED ON ITS HEAD.

Gordon Freeman does not sleep. He does not eat, he has no bodily functions, no emotions, never sways from his objective for even a moment, and he travels through time. The only conclusion being that he is actually a prototype Terminator that's missing speech software.

I'm typing this from the hospital, mere minutes after my heart massage. Thanks a lot, Thrik!

Gordon Freeman does not sleep. He does not eat, he has no bodily functions, no emotions, never sways from his objective for even a moment, and he travels through time. The only conclusion being that he is actually a prototype Terminator that's missing speech software.

Is that the only conclusion. What if this is not current?

What if it's Gordon Freeman in old age, recollecting on his lifes actions; battling the onset of dimensia and alzeimers.

Chris said on the Book Podcast in reference to The Sense of an Ending, something akin to there is medical evidence to suggest the more you access a memory, the more distorted and opaque it becomes to what actually happened.

Imagine if that is what we are experiencing with Half-Life. That would conveniantly explain the jump in graphics from HL1 to HL2. And HL2 to HL3 as those memories will be closer in relativity and less likely to be contorted and warped. Maybe Gordon is a total dick and everything he ever said is traumatising to him so he prefers to remember staying silent.

The in game level of detail is akin to Freeman's in-brain level of detail, filled with rough outlines, blurry images and regular load times to render the course of his life.

The only people he remembers from the HL1 time-span is Barney, Dr Kleiner and Dr Magnusson.

He knows there were others there, but the empty avatars of who and what they looked like has long since been forgotten, so it's easier for him to paste their likenesses to those memories in order to fully immerse himself in his past.

Maybe Judith Mossman didn't exist. Maybe HE was the one having a go at Alyx about The Zero-Point-Energy-Field manipulator. Maybe HE was the one who gave the combine the resistances info and had a change of heart in the Citadel against Dr Breen. The G-Man is a schizopfrenic manifestation of his subconcious.

Dr Vance wasn't refering to "The G-Man" as their mutual friend, it was Barney. Barney is the one Alyx fancies. The most Gordon got was a hug after the citadel collapse in Episode 1.

As Arthur Gies said on the Rebel FM Gameclub that in real life - after blowing up the citadel core with Alyx watching behind a protective glass - Alyx would be thinking "God damn that man is a bad-ass. I will fuck that guys brains out if he survives this."

Barney can handle himself. He's always sorted himself out without help.

Gordon has always needed Alyx's hand to get him from A to B.

The reason he survives HL1 is a) He works at Black Mesa and knows the facility like the back of his hand and thus b) he spends alot of it hiding and crawling through ventilation shafts to avoid confrontation.

That's why he has no melee attack (fists), he's a dick who can't look out for himself.

Alyx only talks about Science or the issue at hand because Gordon is a recluse scientist and that's ALL she can talk to him about.

Eli was taking the piss out of Alyx about her having children with Gordon for an irony sense, and also to boost Gordons ego and sense of self worth for when they need him to eventually do science.

That's why he's the only one in a hazard suit. Because he's the only one that needs it.

Gordon Freeman is a Dick and causes problems wherever he goes.

No-one conciously tells a joke around Gordon or gossips like most adults do in real life, they treat him like a grown child with a gift for science. Like a child he believes the world revolves around him, everyone knows who he is, everyone is glad to see him. They tell him what they need him to do because he has a low tollerence and skin for taking things to heart like alot of children and dicks.

He never grows up but is subjected to adult consequences.

Gordon freeman is a man at odds with the successes and failures of his life. His Half-Life.

It's a hoax.

It might end up being not too far from the truth, though. Valve's been giving Linux a lot of attention, and it doesn't seem too unlikely their next game may coincide with a general push to disrupt Microsoft's dominance over the PC gaming space.

It's almost like Gabe has been planting the seeds with his comments about Windows 8 and the efforts to get Steam fully working on Linux. What better game to give a major shove and encourage giving Linux a try than HL3? Imagine if they included Linux-only DLC.

Welp- the only people still waiting for Half-Life 3 are probably Linux people.

Seriously, is this article some kind of fanfiction? "Half Life 3 will be exclusive to Linux" is as hard a pill to swallow as "Disney bought Star Wars and announced Episode 7". I even read some other headlines on this site, but I'm still not convinced. Alright stop right there- Halo 4 was not cancelled due to an IGN score. Y'ALMOST GOT ME! This site's pretty silly.