CaptainFish

Team Fortress 2 Co-op! Mann vs. Machine

edit: I don't know why they didn't just allow the buy screen from anywhere, ala Counterstrike.

Or jump everyone back to the base before a new round begins, like they do in every gametype.

Or include upgrade stores in a couple places in the map, maybe gated with sliding garage doors the way they gate additional spawns in capture point and cart maps, so you don't need to walk all the way back to spawn? Anything else.

edit: I don't know why they didn't just allow the buy screen from anywhere, ala Counterstrike.

I haven't tried it, but I bet you can actually upgrade in the middle of a round—which may help get through some of the tougher ones. But they also want to make it inconvenient unless you were just killed. You're right that if it's just going to happen at the end of rounds anyways, it doesn't make sense to not just make upgrades available everywhere.

I haven't tried it, but I bet you can actually upgrade in the middle of a round—which may help get through some of the tougher ones. But they also want to make it inconvenient unless you were just killed. You're right that if it's just going to happen at the end of rounds anyways, it doesn't make sense to not just make upgrades available everywhere.

Yeah, you can upgrade mid-round provided you have the cash for it. Taking that time though, instead of fighting with your teammates, is probably not advisable particularly at the later stages.

I typically play as a Medic, and it seems fairly worthless in MvM to continue to do so. You need to deal damage, plain and simple. One more person laying down pain is less robots.

Yeah, you can upgrade mid-round provided you have the cash for it. Taking that time though, instead of fighting with your teammates, is probably not advisable particularly at the later stages.

I typically play as a Medic, and it seems fairly worthless in MvM to continue to do so. You need to deal damage, plain and simple. One more person laying down pain is less robots.

Have you tried the kritzkreig? I've heard it's pretty handy. Roles in MvM seem more dependent on the equipment choices than the regular game, if only because it's much more one-dimensional so a lot of the regular game "tradeoffs" aren't really tradeoffs. For example, the Brass Beast is clearly a better weapon than the stock minigun because you care much more about damage than mobility.

It's all about the kritzkreig:) Add in a soilder with a larger clip and those tanks will melt.

Or latch onto a pyro for waves of smallers. Medic is a lot of fun once you throw away your default medigun.

Well, when you die you're already at the base when you respawn.

As for waiting on people, I don't remember how it is, is it everyone has to ready up for the round to start, or is it Dungeon Defenders where it starts a timer and each person that readies up decreases the time?

As for waiting on people, I don't remember how it is, is it everyone has to ready up for the round to start, or is it Dungeon Defenders where it starts a timer and each person that readies up decreases the time?

The timer doesn't start until the first person signals they're ready, but I don't think it's affected after that.

Anyone here try the MANN UP mode? I have played a few game and have been pleasantly surprised by how different they are from general free servers. By tying loot to beating a mission all of the sudden people take teamwork and communication very seriously, and the MANN UP missions are tough as nails further cementing the need for these values within the group. I was able to beat a mission with a group of randoms, half with mic's and half relying on text chat, but it worked and was awesome. Other times our group would get stuck on a wave in a mission and would sit around and discuss strategies before continuing. All in all this is a pretty solid update that hopefully sets TF2 on a course of less hats and weapons and more interesting gameplay and, oddly enough, story/style content.

I have only used the engineer with standard level 3 sentry and sentry controller (forgot what its called) i really like using this as it has a good range if you can get a open strait. I have also been buying the mini sentry add-on to place at the bomb site incase of any stragglers get past. The one problem i have found is running out of ammo while using the sentry controler, (as it uses double the ammo) i tried to get other engineers to load the sentry while i fire in chat. But every public game i have joined the chat has been silent.

The timer doesn't start until the first person signals they're ready, but I don't think it's affected after that.

I'm fairly sure more people ready'ing will reduce the timer further. The timer starts at like 150 seconds when only one player is ready, and it goes down by some amount for every ready player after that. There's always that one clueless guy who never presses F4.

Just played on a LAN at work and it was super super fun. Now I just kind of want to have a small MvM LAN.

Listening to the latest thumbs and I'm SO GLAD to hear someone say "It's weird, it's not really like Team Fortress, Gears of War Horde Mode is awesome, hey what was up with that trailer?" Cos that's EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!

Horde is the greatest, TF2 is the greatest, but this is kind of dull.

And yeah, what IS up with that trailer? The part where they show the giant hulk-monster Soldier at the end-... it's not that in the game, it's just a taller man. And that tank thing sucks balls.

How perfect would it have bin if you got to pick BLU team or RED team and you all played together like that? and high-fived? and did a shaking-hands taunt and so on?

I won't go on and on, but yeah this mode is weak. I still like TF2 though.

How perfect would it have bin if you got to pick BLU team or RED team and you all played together like that? and high-fived? and did a shaking-hands taunt and so on?

Ive seen multiple people mention this. The obviously problem I see with that is then how to you quickly see if a player is friendly or an enemy? Yes the enemies are robots, but if they are far away you have to spend that extra half second looking. Thats much more annoying to me then just being one color. At the end of the day, its not like playing as two groups in a temporary peace will really make it more fun.

I do see major balance issues with classes. Scout and Medic seem pretty shite and def need some help. Sniper and Spy also seem to be a little weak, but ive also seen some good performance with those classes with skilled players.

I do see major balance issues with classes. Scout and Medic seem pretty shite and def need some help. Sniper and Spy also seem to be a little weak, but ive also seen some good performance with those classes with skilled players.

It seems to me that Scout, Sniper and Spy are only really usable on the easier missions. A team really doesn't need a whole bunch of firepower to get through those battles so if one or two players use those classes they can help do miscellaneous stuff (collect money, kill snipers/spies, focus on medics) while the rest of the team actually destroys the robots. The team will of course have an easier time doing this because of the miscellaneous actions of the support classes. But when it comes to harder MANN UP missions having a player only kill a hand-full of robots a round can make it near impossible to advance.

Also Pyro's are by far the most useful MvM class, being able to reset the bomb means that your team can have double the usual time to kill advancing robots.