Thrik

Photos of things

I took a few eclipse photos! We drove down to Metropolis, Illinois and had to driver 4 hours east that morning to find clear skies. We made it with 30 minutes to spare!

Composite-FB.jpg

DSC_2189.jpg

DSC_2229.jpg

Does anyone have experience selling prints? It seems like a headache! 

My wife works at a hospital and one of the head doctors wants to put one of my eclipse photos up in his office, which is really flattering, but I think he wants the digital files to print them himself. Normally I don't mind, but I'd like them to be printed at a reputable place so  they look as good as they can, is that unreasonable?  Am I being too protective of my photography? Do I sound like a pretentious wanker?

After months of research, hours of practice and buying a lens specific for the Eclipse it would kind of annoy me that someone is just going to have the picture printed out at a crappy Walgreens photo center because I want the end product to reflect that time, effort and work. I don't think I'd charge or anything, but I am having conflicting feelings on how much control I should have over my work and feeling a little self-conscious about those feelings. 

If I were you, I would try and do one of those self printing kiosks myself first. If they are indeed not up to snuff, start digging in more to printing services, but the work/headache of it might not be worth it if the Walgreens/Target printer is good enough.

2 hours ago, dibs said:

quietly hides shitty prints of limp's pictures

quietly conceals lucrative business that exists to sell shitty prints of limp's pictures to doctor's offices and other businesses

2 hours ago, dibs said:

quietly hides shitty prints of limp's pictures

29 minutes ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

quietly conceals lucrative business that exists to sell shitty prints of limp's pictures to doctor's offices and other businesses

quietly rubs hands together as Dibs and Tycho plays right into his hands

Those are awesome, @YoThatLimp.

I think you're totally justified in your desire to control the work you've put considerable time, effort and money into achieving. Unfortunately, not being a particularly confident person, I have no idea how you'd express that to someone without sounding like a complete tool. Maybe phrase it like "Let me sort out the printing. Trust me, it'll look great," or something. Or just get one printed and offer to sell it to him (at cost, if you like, or however much you deem fit), and if he's not interested I guess you just have a sweet print of a great photo to hang up somewhere. 

I'm trying to move from taking photos to also making video. This was done as a short promo for a friend in exchange for some free sailing.

Yes, for some reason the Mavic Pro tracking mode didn't work on the boat, and I had to manually keep up. Was quite annoying and I got very few clean shots without dodgy camera movement. Maybe I had too much ND filter in front of the lens and light wasn't enough for the tracking to work or something. But I've also heard that it doesn't do well above water. Also my drone drowned on first attempt to land on the anchored ship. What is dead may never die - the video is made post-drowning.

2 hours ago, Salacious Snake said:

Awesome!

That's a very photogenic group of cheetahs. Weirdly, I think my favorite subjects are the insects, particularly that very boldly patterned katydid. https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYetXnIlzANyYA0z2

I made an effort to get more bird and insect pictures since they are so often overlooked, it's hard because they are fast and small

Thanks for sharing Cordeos, nice pictures! I really enjoyed the Water Buffalo shots, theres a real sense of depth with a herd that large.

My girlfriend got me a DSLR! Nikon D3400, now that I have a good camera any suggestions on photo editing software? I used to just use Picasa but I guess Google removed the download link? Couldn't find it for my new PC.

I tried out Darktable, Photo.net and Gimp before finding PhotoScape. I haven't dug into the more advanced editing tools but it is a solid app for browsing/deleting photos and doing basic cropping and straightening.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:42 PM, YoThatLimp said:

quietly rubs hands together as Dibs and Tycho plays right into his hands

I just came back to please ask you to stop rubbing me and tycho together. it has been 4 months. 

32 minutes ago, dibs said:

I just came back to please ask you to stop rubbing me and tycho together. it has been 4 months. 

I refuse.

On 1/2/2018 at 10:24 AM, Cordeos said:

I tried out Darktable, Photo.net and Gimp before finding PhotoScape. I haven't dug into the more advanced editing tools but it is a solid app for browsing/deleting photos and doing basic cropping and straightening.

I know this is a bit of a stretch if you are new, but Adobe has a pretty great deal on a monthly subscription to lightroom + photoshop if you are in the US. Lightroom has been invaluable to me as an editing tool and a a cataloging tool for my raw files. 

The company I work for recently hired a new marketing person to generate both internal and external media & marketing content. She's been nice enough to invite me out on several outings as our company's drone pilot.

I want one of these dang things so bad.

Gosh, the colours on those photos are amazing. The combination of the washed-out blueish light and the yellow/orange safety vest is :chefkiss: