Thrik

Photos of things

And it don't stop

23484611550_84b037766e_c.jpgDSC00642 2 by J.D. Cohen, on Flickr

EDIT: Looking at it again in Lightroom, I think part of the problem with the colour version linked to above is a colourspace conversion issue or something. It doesn't look quite as over-red in there. Another wretched complication.

Stuff like that drives me insane!

Tell me about it. Like, I get (broadly) the technical reason why it happens, but I'm not really sure how you're meant to account for it. It'd be nice if there were some sort of colourspace conversion tool with a live preview, for example. But I would have thought it should be a solved problem, anyway. Like, in almost all contexts isn't it better to preserve the colour balance of the image than it is to make maximal use of the available colour gamut? Surely there should be an algorithmic way of getting a good match.

Then again, perhaps I'm misattributing blame. Precisely none of my display devices are calibrated in any regard other than "looks fine to me", and other than Lightroom I do most of my image browsing in stuff like Web browsers, which I suspect might not always properly respect colour accuracy and the associated metadata and so on. Not an expert, though.

Nice dog picture, anyway. Is there some split toning business going on in there? Or am I now imagining I'm seeing it everywhere?

Nice dog picture, anyway. Is there some split toning business going on in there? Or am I now imagining I'm seeing it everywhere?

Not split toning per se, but definitely fucked with the colors. Here's how it looked after the initial raw conversion:

Y9Mm4El.jpg

I find the split toning tool kind of frustrating, I never get a result that I like. Digging into the straight up color editing stuff (where you can just hijack different bands of color and modify them) can be good, but if you're looking for some stylish results, bust out the separate R G and B curves in the tone curve tool.

I'm using Capture One Pro instead of Lightroom now, but all that stuff is basically the same.

Not split toning per se, but definitely fucked with the colors. Here's how it looked after the initial raw conversion:

I find the split toning tool kind of frustrating, I never get a result that I like. Digging into the straight up color editing stuff (where you can just hijack different bands of color and modify them) can be good, but if you're looking for some stylish results, bust out the separate R G and B curves in the tone curve tool.

I'm using Capture One Pro instead of Lightroom now, but all that stuff is basically the same.

Yeah split toning is frustrating at times!

Has anyone had any experience printing out there stuff? I have a ton of stuff i'd like to print, but it's always such a gamble, I feel like local places completely fuck up the picture. I always fee like I have to over exposure (then compensate for it) by 1 or two stops. Any recommendations on online print stores?

All I've done is had a couple of things printed on Photobox. They seemed OK to me, but I don't think I have a very good eye for that sort of thing, and I only picked them because they were much cheaper than the other online options I was looking at.

Regarding split toning etc., I do sometimes fiddle with RGB curves, which are obviously more flexible, but I find in my pursuit of the intended effect I often end up with something very unnatural and unpleasant looking, which I try to correct for by adding ever more points. For me, the more limited possibility space of split toning helps me keep things under control.

Yeah split toning is frustrating at times!

Has anyone had any experience printing out there stuff? I have a ton of stuff i'd like to print, but it's always such a gamble, I feel like local places completely fuck up the picture. I always fee like I have to over exposure (then compensate for it) by 1 or two stops. Any recommendations on online print stores?

I used to deal with a company called Pounds Labs. They're here in Texas, but they might let you order online? We did all our ordering via a java client that let us upload images directly to them. we could specify crop and whether the image needed to be calibrated or not.

Do you have calibrated monitors? Investing in a cheap colorimeter is a good idea if you haven't. I got the old version of the Datacolor Spyder for $100 from B&H  back in June. You can currently get the new version for $140.

There's a rat darting out of that trash can!

Very nice colours.

So we've been batting this idea around for a bit now and lets do it!

Week 1 of the Idle Thumbs Photography Challenge - Portrait: Self-Portrait

I should have posted this sooner, but this is a fairly easy one, let say the "due date" is Sunday, Jan 10th.

I biked over to a waterfall near where I live, didn't realize how cool it would look, or that I would be able to go behind it.

oVpyDbI.jpg

e76Q8p1.jpg

jFAqltr.jpg

iFB4V2Z.jpg

q7Ak0QH.jpg

fY7dTQI.jpg

FxBlcVy.jpg

zicThKI.jpg

Those last two are killer.

I finally bought a good lens. I paid $300 for it. It's used, but you can't tell that by looking at it--the body is immaculate.

These pictures are unedited, just resized:

IMGP2014-XL.jpg

IMGP2015-XL.jpg

IMGP2016-XL.jpg

IMGP2019-XL.jpg

I like this lens a lot, fellas.

Great baby shots.

Nice, that looks great. What's the length on it? 

Thanks. It's a 35mm f2.8 macro lens, so it's quite versatile.

IMGP2070-XL.jpg

IMGP2119-XL.jpg

IMGP2130-XL.jpg

IMGP2137-XL.jpg

IMGP2138-XL.jpg

IMGP2142-XL.jpg

IMGP2114-XL.jpg

Oooh! I've never heard of a 35 mm macro before, cool :)!

Here are some macro photos of some ice crystals I found on my window... not quite the same as snow or waterfalls, but still pretty cool :P!

post-33997-0-76967400-1454889661_thumb.jpg

post-33997-0-66690300-1454889665_thumb.jpg

post-33997-0-20422500-1454889674_thumb.jpg

post-33997-0-30116800-1454889671_thumb.jpg

I've thought about getting a 35mm lens quite a bit, but I'm definitely at the stage where I'd need to be taking more pictures before I could justify spending any more money on equipment. I don't feel very inspired by my immediate surroundings, and I'm bad about taking my camera with me further afield (not driving doesn't help). Of course, the new baby in the family presents ample opportunities, which is nice.

Anyway, great stuff, all. I really like that pair of architecture ones, uh, Architecture.

(The portraits are very good, also.)

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure everyone has a hard time getting inspiration in his own backyard. I've been forcing myself to go on walks with the camera with the express purpose of taking some photos. Even if I don't have my Ansel Adams moment, I get some exercise in the process.

_IMG2513-XL.jpg

_IMG2518-XL.jpg

_IMG2534-XL.jpg

_IMG2532-XL.jpg

_IMG2547-XL.jpg

_IMG2579-XL.jpg

_IMG2630-XL.jpg

Thanks! I'm trying to hone my eye before my trip to Spain in May.

I want to feel comfortable behind the lens and ready to snap lots of photos.