Thrik

Photos of things

Yeah, it was an attempt to drum up support for USA Rugby, end score was 78-6 with the Eagle not scoring a single try. I would say 50% of the 61,000 people there were wearing All Blacks gear. My wife had a chance to spend some time with some other kiwis so it was an awesome day.

i didnt know anything about the match (and that it was sold out) until the operations guy @ Soldier Field called me Thursday morning looking for signs - always last minute it seems over there.

At least the weather was nice (cold, but not as windy as friday)

i didnt know anything about the match (and that it was sold out) until the operations guy @ Soldier Field called me Thursday morning looking for signs - always last minute it seems over there.

At least the weather was nice (cold, but not as windy as friday)

Ah nice, what kind of signs do you make? Your tag makes a lot more sense now! We were on the sunny side of the stadium so things were perfect for us! Yeah not too much advertisement here in Chicago but my wife is a kiwi so we have had our tickets pre-ordered since June!

Some of the quotes in this article about the match amused me - "According to the US commentators all New Zealand babies have a rugby ball in their crib"

Ah nice, what kind of signs do you make? Your tag makes a lot more sense now! We were on the sunny side of the stadium so things were perfect for us! Yeah not too much advertisement here in Chicago but my wife is a kiwi so we have had our tickets pre-ordered since June!

this is one our most recently completed "custom jobs", 300 S Wacker - full wall paint & illuminated red "building" on the map - like a big You Are Here.  And then the lobby inside is a forced perspective of the Loop facing west.  We worked with a design firm who came up with concept and i figure out how to build it and install.  

post-33948-0-37253400-1415121323_thumb.jpg

post-33948-0-13339200-1415121177_thumb.jpg

Typically though we work more commercial/retail signs - wall, letters, and large multi-tenant pylons.

sometimes the photos come out good, sometimes its just pictures of metal shaped

this is one our most recently completed "custom jobs", 300 S Wacker - full wall paint & illuminated red "building" on the map - like a big You Are Here.  And then the lobby inside is a forced perspective of the Loop facing west.  We worked with a design firm who came up with concept and i figure out how to build it and install.  

Typically though we work more commercial/retail signs - wall, letters, and large multi-tenant pylons.

sometimes the photos come out good, sometimes its just pictures of metal shaped

Whoa that is pretty nuts, nice job! I have some family that does a lot of the full wraps on buses but this stuff is on a whole other level.  That is a pretty neat, they must have just gotten really sick of directing tourists, hah, 

Bought a Rokinon 14mm for my trip to new zealand, went out tonight to play around with it (drove an hour to my dark site) and of course I forget my tripod at home, oops. I took this from a top of my hood, a bit noisy than I wanted and I am sure the engine wasn't doing any favors, but I did appreciate the nice color gradient and the reflection of the trees in the (dirty) hood. 

15842085512_a1f8b1d0fb_b.jpg

YoThatLimp, on 21 Nov 2014 - 02:00, said:

Bought a Rokinon 14mm for my trip to new zealand, went out tonight to play around with it (drove an hour to my dark site) and of course I forget my tripod at home, oops. I took this from a top of my hood, a bit noisy than I wanted and I am sure the engine wasn't doing any favors, but I did appreciate the nice color gradient and the reflection of the trees in the (dirty) hood. 

if you dont mind sharing, where said dark spot is? i feel like have to get almost to Gurnee to the north...and well Elgin to the West before the light pollution starts to diminish

if you dont mind sharing, where said dark spot is? i feel like have to get almost to Gurnee to the north...and well Elgin to the West before the light pollution starts to diminish

My astronomy club uses two farms out which are okay, I found a nice little place in Braidwood, IL which is pretty okay. The only problem is the light pollution on the northern horizon is pretty bad because of the power plant there. 

15862998965_e476a7d0c9_b.jpg

Given that I upload pretty much all my tedious photos to Flickr for my mum's benefit, I've taken to picking out the least bad of them (as I judge it) and posting them to a Tumblr blog. There's still some nonsense in there that probably only I find interesting or appealing, but it should be somewhat less of a slog. You are welcome to take a look or not.

Oooh. Doggie straight on, and the purple leaves are lovely. Those photos are really good James! I didn't like the scrolling at first, but then some of the very similar once wiped into on another and i started to like it (for instance, the dog straight on overlaps with the next photo at the bottom, but then it diverges. 

Also, maybe it wasn't on purpose, but i liked the way the subject changed suddenly suddenly.

Oooh. Doggie straight on, and the purple leaves are lovely. Those photos are really good James! I didn't like the scrolling at first, but then some of the very similar once wiped into on another and i started to like it (for instance, the dog straight on overlaps with the next photo at the bottom, but then it diverges. 

Also, maybe it wasn't on purpose, but i liked the way the subject changed suddenly suddenly.

Thanks! To toot my own horn a little more, I was actually slightly drunk when I took the dog photos, so I think they came out pretty well. Immediately after the straight-on one, she got a little freaked out by the shutter noise, and became very hyperactive. Then the owner kindly calmed her down, which is why she's posing in the other ones. I don't usually ask for poses, even of people.

The layout is a free one that I've tinkered around with a bit. I'm not entirely satisfied with it, but I chose it mainly because it devotes the maximum space to the pictures. The main problem currently is that it doesn't scale to different screen heights and aspect ratios very well (due to a rather inept hack of mine to try to make it possible to see each image without any text obscuring it.

The subject changes are entirely arbitrary. It's not meant to be a single subject thing; I just tend to upload a bunch from a particular outing or occasion. I still have a bunch of photos from my trip to Stockholm in July that I haven't found the energy to go through yet. I'll get around to it eventually.

Oh, speaking of the layout, it was sometimes difficult just to see a picture without bits of others at the top or bottom. I'm not sure if it was my scrolling speed, or certain pictures or what.

Keep up the good work!

It was probably to do with the combination of image height and the size of the viewport (if you were using a very high or very low resolution screen, or one with unusual proportions, such as being much taller than it is wide).

Anyway, I did some more fiddling. Hopefully it works a bit better now. Unless you use an old browser, in which case the CSS changes I made might not be supported.

I mentioned quite some time ago that we have a family of raccoons that live around our property, who I'm regularly entertained by.  Finally managed to catch them in a tree foraging while there was still enough light to get a few pictures.  I'm a terrible photographer, but I managed to get a few fun shots.  The little ones are insane.  I was sure they would plummet out of the tree any moment.  There were four young ones and mama, though the two pictured were the easiest to get good pics of.

I've got a bunch that are just a hair fuzzy, shooting moving critters clinging to swaying tree branches in low light does not make for a great photo environment. 

The spoilered pic is cute, you can see one peaking his head around the left side of the tree, but it is on the fuzzy side. 

post-33601-0-65446400-1418343067_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-70955800-1418343237_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-16711400-1418343378_thumb.jpg

They are, and the young ones would crawl out onto branches that I was sure couldn't hold their weight, bouncing up and down, swinging around, almost falling off every five seconds. And yet somehow none of them did.

They seem to maneuver better than I think a cat or squirrel would on the same type of branches. What kind of trees are those? Is it pretty cold where you live right now as well?

I don't know what those trees are, I'm the worst at identifying plants and trees.  The lady is a big gardener, and even though I've been looking at her flower beds for years, I don't know what 70 percent of the flowers are. 

We had a cold snap last week where we were below freezing for several days, but it hasn't been too bad so far.  Getting up around 40F most days, which is way better than last year.