Thrik

Photos of things

ive driven by Wilson Hall a few times & delivered some signs but never been inside.  that looks fairly incredible

and i agree with other comments, that grand canyon shot is great - captures the scale of the canyon very well

I got a telephoto lens so now I can take pictures of people playing cricket from my mum's kitchen window:

post-8096-0-47254300-1406582022_thumb.jpg

post-8096-0-71211400-1406582041_thumb.jpg

post-8096-0-01079500-1406582088_thumb.jpg

post-8096-0-62572500-1406582099_thumb.jpg

post-8096-0-37780700-1406582106_thumb.jpg

post-8096-0-87699300-1406583290_thumb.gif

Not great photos, but I like the crazy arc his leg follows.

Forgot to respond to this before:

Ah, Mormor?

Yeah, Mum's Swedish. My nephew decorated that pepparkaka.

Lovely work, YTL!

That Fermi Lab is a bit like BT's HQ near St. Pauls, but much nicer looking. BT went for plasma screens and glass instead of plants. Wilson Hall is doing it right :)

James, could also be some kind of network compression thing. Many mobile broadband providers re-compress images which invariably results in shit quality, and also there are various plug-ins and such that do the same thing. Only other thing I can think of really, although generally you'd notice obvious JPEG compression in such circumstances.

Holy crap that grand canyon photo is awesome. It almost looks rendered.

Honestly the Grand Canyon was even more beautiful then I ever expected, i went in with high expectations and i was still completely blown away. It is something everyone  should see! 

ive driven by Wilson Hall a few times & delivered some signs but never been inside.  that looks fairly incredible

and i agree with other comments, that grand canyon shot is great - captures the scale of the canyon very well

We were there getting a tour of the particle accelerators at Fermi with my Astronomy group, I believe they are opening up the full tours to the public soon, I highly recommend it, it's a totally awesome way to spend an afternoon! I've been to Wilson hall a few times for lectures but I am stunned every time I visit, such a beautifully designed space! 

Thanks for all the comments guys, probably will be slow on new photos for a while, just picked up a new camera and still figuring out how to use it.  Going from mirrorless to DSLR feels a little odd, i feel like I am finally getting used to the form factor and having to use the view finder to compose photos.

Going from mirrorless to DSLR feels a little odd, i feel like I am finally getting used to the form factor and having to use the view finder to compose photos.

I've done the same recently, going from a Panasonic G1 to Canon 60D. I'm settling in, but still unsure about sticking with the switch.

This guy is a Pseudacanthicus sp. 'L024', an undescribed species of catfish from South America.

14396057536_0e6299d757_b.jpg

A little while ago I was in Qatar with an archaeological project; these are some of my favourites.

I've done the same recently, going from a Panasonic G1 to Canon 60D. I'm settling in, but still unsure about sticking with the switch.

This guy is a Pseudacanthicus sp. 'L024', an undescribed species of catfish from South America.

Great shots duder! You live a pretty damn interesting life, are you an archaeology student/archaeologist? I am going to add you on Flickr is that is cool. 

The thing I like about the viewfinder is i find I think about the composition a lot more since I am kind of'peering into' the scene instead of looking down at an LCD screen if that makes sense? 

This is one from my new camera, my neighbor has a beautiful garden full of butterflies and cool insects. 

14783307274_796a3e8843_b.jpg

Great shots duder! You live a pretty damn interesting life, are you an archaeology student/archaeologist? I am going to add you on Flickr is that is cool. 

The thing I like about the viewfinder is i find I think about the composition a lot more since I am kind of'peering into' the scene instead of looking down at an LCD screen if that makes sense? 

This is one from my new camera, my neighbor has a beautiful garden full of butterflies and cool insects. 

Thanks! I can assure it doesn't feel that interesting, but it has been really cool to go to Qatar and Botswana this year. I'm a wildlife conservation and ecology student, so that's why I was in Botswana, so doing archaeology in Qatar was bit left field for me, but I knew someone on the project so that's what got me out there.

I know what you mean, but I'm used to having an electronic viewfinder and live view (on the rear screen) active all the time, with the DSLR you have to select live view each time. Also, not being to see changes in white balance, EV comp, and ISO is taking some time to get used to.

A few days ago I bought the 'nifty fifty' (50mm f1.8) and some active extension tubes, so trying a bit of cheap macro, plenty of bugs and flowers.

Here's some from Tuli, Botswana, from earlier in the year. Taken (mostly) on my 60D and rented 100-400m L lens.

14776531011_5dc939745c_b.jpg

Thanks! I can assure it doesn't feel that interesting, but it has been really cool to go to Qatar and Botswana this year. I'm a wildlife conservation and ecology student, so that's why I was in Botswana, so doing archaeology in Qatar was bit left field for me, but I knew someone on the project so that's what got me out there.

I know what you mean, but I'm used to having an electronic viewfinder and live view (on the rear screen) active all the time, with the DSLR you have to select live view each time. Also, not being to see changes in white balance, EV comp, and ISO is taking some time to get used to.

A few days ago I bought the 'nifty fifty' (50mm f1.8) and some active extension tubes, so trying a bit of cheap macro, plenty of bugs and flowers.

Here's some from Tuli, Botswana, from earlier in the year. Taken (mostly) on my 60D and rented 100-400m L lens.

Again, beautiful stuff! Love the colors captured on the lizard! You absolutely nailed the focus! Was the Hyena in the wild?

How do you like the 60D? I have huge hands and totally prefer the feeling of it (and the ruggedness) of it when comparing it to my D5300.

Show up your macro work when you can, i have been doing some piss poor "macro" work. The nice thing about 24 MP is you can crop like a son-ova-bitch.

I found this dude eating some flies on the side of my house this morning, clearly time to burn this place to the ground. 

14763878286_82f38983a8_b.jpg

Some of those images on your Flickr are unreal, great job, some really gorgeous use of natural lighting!

That spider shadow is so good!

I know right? It made me nearly late for my final but I had to stop and grab a photo of it, hah. 

Again, beautiful stuff! Love the colors captured on the lizard! You absolutely nailed the focus! Was the Hyena in the wild?

How do you like the 60D? I have huge hands and totally prefer the feeling of it (and the ruggedness) of it when comparing it to my D5300.

Show up your macro work when you can, i have been doing some piss poor "macro" work. The nice thing about 24 MP is you can crop like a son-ova-bitch.

I found this dude eating some flies on the side of my house this morning, clearly time to burn this place to the ground. 

Yup, the hyena was wild. We tracked their prints for while, gave up after a bit, back in the jeep our local guide spotted them again, rolled up to a big rocky outcrop, turns out it was one of their den sites with two youngsters. They were a bit weary for the first few minutes but quickly got comfortable with our presence.

I quite like the 60D. I've got my mothers hands but the grip feels good, I wouldn't want a smaller one; the feel and grip of the camera was one of the primary reasons why I bought it (used). I tried the Nikon and Sony equivalents but they felt uncomfortable to me, too angluar, also Pentax (very close to getting one); I found the 7D the most comfortable to hold, but the lack of swivel screen was a no no.

The spider shadow is really cool. Is the vignetting deliberate or accidental?

These two shots are probably the best I've got so far with the extension tubes. Found the spider on my leg, then put it on a piece of wood.

14808433854_4118446302_b.jpg

Thanks everyone! It's nice to hear (read) nice things. I'm really pleased with how the pink one turned out, I don't know why, but the colours remind me of an ice cream sundae. I'd like there to be more of the fly in focus, but even at f8 the depth of field is about 3mm deep, so getting anything at all can be difficult.

YTL - The extension tubes I've got are called 'triplus' and are the active kind, so they the still allow the lens to communicate with the body for metering and controlling the aperture (and autofocus, although it's useless for this stuff). The passive sort don't have communication, so it's all up to you. From what I've read, controlling the aperture with passive tubes seems to be difficult, unless the lens allows for manual control.

I thought I'd join in on the "pictures of tiny things" and post hundreds of pictures taken over about half an hour. Unfortunately my skill with a camera is pretty weak, but my skill with a microscope...

EYF2tLC.gif

What you're seeing is a receptor moving from the cytoplasm of a few cells to the nucleus after drug addition. Unfortunately I can't post my more interesting gifs, but this one's pretty cool!

Ethics committee? :)

What happens in the lab, stays in the lab.

Also, really freaking cool gif! :tup:

They didn't want to tell you Nachimir, but they are your cells.

That is pretty sweet though! my buddy showed me his video's from his phd once. He was making cells kill themselves in some novel way that got their nucleus all twisted up (biology!). He used the same dyes (rox and fam) that we used at that job (for pcr) and was elucidating me on their other uses.

Unfortunately, if it's not published, I can't post it. I think if I gave out any data and someone found it and copies it my boss would kill me. Not likely, but not worth the risk! 

The cool thing about cells is that ethics committees don't really mind what you do. Animals on the other hand are a different issue...so here's a picture of a section from a mouse lung. Different cells are stained red or green with the nuclei blue. 

Rh7l7Sx.jpg