Thrik

Photos of things

I would totes play a zombie game set in the north of England.

Yup Zeus, that Phoenix. I stopped over there on my way to Chicago (where I am now) after Dev Days in Seattle (which was awesome). 

that's an awesome snowy photo. I just saw snow for the first time yesterday.

oh and here's a photo I took of the final moments of Mike Bithell

9839_10152013844537819_1299282458_n.jpg

that's an awesome snowy photo. I just saw snow for the first time yesterday.

oh and here's a photo I took of the final moments of Mike Bithell

In space, no one can hear you be alone.

I just had a package arrive. All compliments to Tegan for the amazing painting. This is how it looks on my wall.

post-6403-0-16009900-1390352165_thumb.jpg

I got one of those too! It's the raddest. I haven't put it up yet because I might be moving soon. X: X:

I was wondering what happened to this thread. Looks like I killed it. Here, let me do so again:

post-8096-0-64264300-1404081927_thumb.jpg

I think his right eye is slightly out of focus, but I still really like this photo.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread again, but I happened to look at my previous photo (i.e. the one above) on a different computer, and in Chrome colours of the shadow area on the right of his face are off. They show as nasty mottled greens and browns. The rest of his skin looks a bit blotchier, too, as if the contrast has been turned up too high. Other browsers and image editors seem to render it fine. I've tried fiddling around with colour profiles a bit, but I don't really know much about that, and nothing I do seems to make any difference at all. Does it look OK on other people's screens? Is it just something funny about my PC's set-up? Is it a colour space thing? Does Chrome just up the contrast to give things more "punch" or something? How am I meant to account for this sort of thing when it looks fine in my editors (Lightroom and Photoshop)?

Not that I expect you to troubleshoot all my silly novice problems for me, but I really can't work this one out and it's quite frustrating.

Anyway, in keeping with the actual subject of the thread, here's another photo I'm quite proud of:

post-8096-0-88705000-1406497252_thumb.jpg

It was taken in Östermalm, Stockholm.

The photo looks fine to me. I haven't used a hardware calibrator but my monitor was factory calibrated as many higher-end screens are, so if something looks outright wrong I'd usually be able to tell. I certainly don't see any elements of green in the kid's shadows so I have no idea how you're seeing that. The only thing that does strike me as off in both your photos above is that the highlights seem a bit too muted, as if the photos were underexposed. For example, I'd expect the brightest parts of the kid's t-shirt to be approaching actual white. With that said, this is heading into subjective territory.

All I can imagine is your OS has some weird colour settings in place and/or you didn't save your images in the sRGB colour space. In fact, if you're saving as ProPhotoRPG or something that might explain the muted look I'm seeing in your photos as its large colour gamut produces exactly that effect when viewed via something that doesn't support it. As colour profile support is very inconsistent it's generally best to use sRGB as software that doesn't support it typically uses it anyway.

I like the last photo a lot by the way, the random dude on the lounger makes it. :tup:

I don't see any oddness either James. Maybe your eyes aren't the same since you got old.

Did not realize we had a photo thread! i am about to clog  up this thread with terrible photos from my flickr profile!

7823643926_d10b32bbfe_b.jpg

I took this in West Yellowstone during my Route 66+ trip while visiting a bear and wolf sanctuary. 

One more for now, I built a home made lightbox to take a detailed photo of my Grandpa's service revolver as a Chicago Police officer for 30+ years.

10672894395_4ded95e2ea_b.jpg

Fantastic photos YTL! If those are terrible, I dread to think what unspeakable dreck most of mine are.

-----

Too many words in a thread about photos:

Regarding my previous post, I checked at work, which should be identical to my home in terms of browsers (up-to-date Chrome on Windows 7), at it looked fine, so it must be something funky about my set-up at home. Nothing except Chrome was exhibiting that particular effect, which looked a little like colour compression or something. When I get back home I'll check for any strange plugins or anything else that might be causing it. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

The only thing that does strike me as off in both your photos above is that the highlights seem a bit too muted, as if the photos were underexposed. For example, I'd expect the brightest parts of the kid's t-shirt to be approaching actual white. With that said, this is heading into subjective territory.

Yeah, that's much more likely to be my not-particularly-artistic eye. I have a feeling I tend to make everything a bit dark, and find myself focusing much more on having deep shadows than what's going on with the highlights. It's probably not very good, and sometimes I make a conscious effort to fight against that, but other times I just go with it. It'd probably pay to come back to each photo later with fresh eyes, but it takes so long to go through all the bloody things the first time around that I generally get a bit fed up and just want to be done with it.

All I can imagine is your OS has some weird colour settings in place and/or you didn't save your images in the sRGB colour space. In fact, if you're saving as ProPhotoRPG or something that might explain the muted look I'm seeing in your photos as its large colour gamut produces exactly that effect when viewed via something that doesn't support it. As colour profile support is very inconsistent it's generally best to use sRGB as software that doesn't support it typically uses it anyway.

Yeah, those are the two things I thought of. I don't think it's an OS thing, because it only affects Chrome, but I guess it could be some weird setting that only Chrome honours or something. I'm pretty sure I've got Lightroom set to export JPEGs as sRGB, but I think it is using Adobe RGB to transport TIFFs to and from Photoshop, so it could be something to do with that. I really am quite a novice at all this stuff, so I don't really know.

I'm pretty new to actually doing any sort of editing or processing to my photos, so I'm a bit nervous about going overboard with that stuff. When I saw the weird shadow thing on my home computer I assumed I'd pushed some setting way too far and just hadn't noticed it on my small laptop screen. It's good to know that it's probably something else.

I like the last photo a lot by the way, the random dude on the lounger makes it. :tup:

Thanks!

Holy crap that grand canyon photo is awesome. It almost looks rendered.