Sign in to follow this  
CoS_Ethan

City of Steam (Upcoming Industrial Fantasy Browser MMO)

(First of all, my personal thanks go out to Chris, who gave me the permission to start this post.)

Hey all, my name is Ethan and I work for an indie games developer, Mechanist Games.

I just wanted to drop by to talk about our new game, answer some questions you may have, and gather some suggestions (being small, definitely I'd like to listen to feedback). Don't worry, I’ve been strictly warned about not making this too spammy;, so I’ll try to keep it short!

We're working on our debut title, City of Steam, and heading for the final alpha test of the game on August 17th. So to those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprising there, we are a small developer, so getting widespread recognition is relatively harder for us), it's a free-to-play browser-based MMORPG with an industrial fantasy theme, light weight enough to play even on older computers. Thanks to the powerful Unity 3D and tons of in-house tools for optimization, the game takes mere megabytes to load up and stream. Take a look at the world CoS is based off:

H9Hjxi4.jpg

For a better picture of the game, check our latest Closed Beta Trailer, a lot has changed and improved since then, but it can still give a good idea for what we plan to make of our game:

Edit:

Hello guys, we've opened gates of Nexus again, Beta is now launched and ready to play. Visit the link below if you don't have an account yet and start your journey in just minutes!

Thanks to your continuous support of our game, City of Steam has finally been approved on Valve's Greenlight approval system. We are thankful for everyone who voted for us and who spread the word! If you want to know more, you can find the full announcement here: http://cos.r2games.com/news/view/?id=1731

Also, we wrote up a dev journal (though delayed!), along with a video, about the showcase of City of Steam at PAX East and GDC 2013. The video itself is here:

We may be small, but we're very receptive to player feedback too, and strive to openly discuss the development process. Feel free to reply or drop me a line and I’ll respond to any questions you may have!

For some reason I was expecting a city building game according to the title. Having said that; it looks good! I was very pleased with the train setting for the character selection screen. I highly doubt I'll have time or brainspace for an MMO, but good luck! It looks very nice, moreso because of the indie team behind it.

So it's like City of Heroes, but you play as steam?

Maybe I'll give it a whirl, I'm drowning in all this extra time anyway.

Isn't this post classified as advertising? Are we allowing that here or does this stuff belong in Plug your shit thread?

Also, I did the same thing Rodi, I figured it was city building in steam punk or something.

Isn't this post classified as advertising? Are we allowing that here or does this stuff belong in Plug your shit thread?

Also, I did the same thing Rodi, I figured it was city building in steam punk or something.

Ethan asked special permission of Chris for this thread; normally this sort of thing goes in Plug Your Shit, as you say.

Ah that's cool then and apparently I can't read the first line of his post, lol. Sorry man.

So it's like City of Heroes, but you play as steam?

Maybe I'll give it a whirl, I'm drowning in all this extra time anyway.

Hah, yeah, in the game, you spend "Steam" to use abilities rather than "mana" or "energy". For a kind of spin on "steamworks" and "running out of steam" when you exert yourself. Hope you'll have fun when you try the game on 17th! B)

Ah that's cool then and apparently I can't read the first line of his post, lol. Sorry man.

NP, I'm not here to purely spam or advertise the game, as I pointed out in the post, we'd really want to collect some player input, answer possible questions and get the word out before the Alpha starts off on 17th. If interested, be sure to help us test out the game this Friday and give us your feedback, we are a pretty open-minded team,

I guess I'll have to fight those steam robots as a halfling sky gypsy.

I guess I'll have to fight those steam robots as a halfling sky gypsy.

Yeah, we will have all 9 playable races available for this week's Alpha testing. Looking forward to meeting you this Friday. :)

After a terrific weekend, City of Steam’s 4th and final Alpha test has officially come to a close (see our official alpha wrap-up here). Our thanks go out to all players who flooded in The Refuge last week; without your support, we couldn't have tested the game out as thoroughly. Also, we've piled up tons of player input since the test started, and will be looking into them shortly. Be sure to keep an eye on our website and dev journals to keep up-to-date with Beta news and development!!

We just put up some new dev journals, here's your chance to get a closer look at some cool Ratling animations in Unity, backstories of the charming but manipulative Rivens and a wrapup for all available classes in City of Steam now. Any thoughts after reading?

Hi guys, we’ve released some new dev journals recently, if you are interested in getting to know more about CoS classes and races, don’t miss out on the wrap-ups for them. Also, feel free to share your thoughts on the most recent design and coding (it includes a mini game) journals.

Check out a funny little video we made while stressed-out over getting City of Steam Beta ready. Feel free to leave us a comment, too! As always, keep an eye on our Dev Journals for latest development progress we've made, and share your thoughts. Beta should be rearing its head out sometime in November.

Hey everyone, we've got plenty of great news share recently, so forgive me if this seems a bit spammy (but yeah...how else to spread the news on stuff like this..?)

First!Closed Beta Test will start on Nov. 16th (see more details via the announcement here), coupled with more content and contests;

Second! we just got a new

up, so please share the video with your friends and help spread the word out.;

Third! we now have brand new Beta Collaborator Packs, if you missed the Alpha packs, this is your chance to get a bunch of awesome extras for Beta!

Lastly, as we also have some goals to reach in Closed Beta, we do need your support to make them achievable. Check out the bonus content you could get in CBT on your Steam-o-Meter (it even includes developer humiliations; we may regret our enthusiasm later…).

Whew, ok, that was a lot of news, sorry for dropping so much on your guys at once… I’m glad to hear your comments on this though, so be sure to let me know what you think, or ask those questions I’m sure are crossing your mind!

Let’s take a new glance at the Steam-o-Meter after one week of its release. The great thing is that really awesome stuff like “Powered Gauntlets” and “Challenge Dungeons” have already been unlocked and pushed to be ready for Closed Beta… and now we’re getting so close to the first Dev Humiliation ever. So everyone, keep pushing up the points and unlocking more early content (wouldn't you like to see that cute Marshpuggle?)

Hey everyone, just wanted to drop by and give you a final reminder for City of Steam Beta: the first Beta Weekend will launch in around 15 hours! If you are interested in joining in, sign up for our newsletter for a chance to receive a key (and regular development updates as well); also, check out our partners, they might still have a few keys left to give out. If you grabbed one already, great! Free your schedule and get ready to swarm into The Refuge tonight!

Springtide finally closed its gates... A million thanks to all who joined in and helped us test the game. As always, you can rest assured that we'll work on those bugs, and keep polishing up the game. We all look forward to seeing you back on Nov. 30 again to play DWARVES! Also, keep up your outstanding support for the Steam-o-Meter, we're getting closer to 3M points.

I forgot we had this thread. This is a shockingly good game from what I played of it.

I forgot we had this thread. This is a shockingly good game from what I played of it.

Thanks for the compliment, looking forward to seeing you back in just hours. (Summercrest will start shortly!) :P

Well, Beta Collaborator Packs are nearing the end... Don't miss your chance to get one before they disappear forever, this Friday, February 1st! :P