Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Stuff

Idle Hooves: CLOP

I actually got most of my success alternating the left pair and right pair. I had a lot of trouble on stone sections where CLOP can't get any traction.

Edit: I've only managed to get about halfway. I get good momentum on flat sections but have to do the same pattern really slowly to actually walk up the inclines without flipping over backwards.

That's my only point, don't have to be a knob about it.

That's our Thunderpeel!

(he's sometimes an unreasonable knob, but I'm convinced he's warm and fuzzy on the insides)

That's our Thunderpeel!

(he's sometimes an unreasonable knob, but I'm convinced he's warm and fuzzy on the insides)

Oh, brother! Is that because I don't think Apple are the greatest company in the universe??

What's the deal with the aggression here, Thunderpeel? Of course I've played it and it's god damn hard, but this is the internet, people do some pretty ridiculous things on it so it leads me to wonder if someone master it.

That's my only point, don't have to be a knob about it.

Sorry if I came across harshly, I just assumed calling you "man-who-doesn't-suck" would have been seen a jokey jibe.

But, since you called me a knob, I'll explain a little further: Your point was that he CHEATED. You then said that only people who "sucked" played it like that -- which includes me. Now you're calling me knob. Not reeeeeally sure you should be pointing fingers about being "aggressive".

Oh, brother! Is that because I don't think Apple are the greatest company in the universe??

You're just unreasonably aggressive at times, that's all. It's not like I'm the first person to point this out.

It's especially annoying because you obviously make insightful comments, so I can't outright ignore you in my good conscious either.

As for The Greatest Company in the Universe: dude, I work in software. If I held a grudge over every Apple related argument I've participated in, I'd pretty much have zero friends left. It's really not something I get bend out of shape over ... but I'd rather not get personally insulted in the process, you know?

It's especially annoying because you obviously make insightful comments, so I can't outright ignore you in my good conscious either.

How wonderfully patronizing of you. Do let me know when I meet your standards!

To keep your marriage brimming,

With love in the loving cup,

Whenever you're wrong, admit it;

Whenever you're right, shut up.

"A Word to Husbands" in Marriage Lines (1964)

I feel this thread has become a metaphor for the emotions CLOP evokes. Congratulations ThunderPeel and SiN for this work of performance art/satire.

It's good advice for husbands, wives, and Idle Thumbs forum participants of any gender.

I think it means don't gloat once you've conclusively been proved right. It probably works better for marriages than internet forums...

I took it to mean, "If your wife is wrong, simply smile condescendingly and don't correct her", which is an attitude I've heard both men and women describe as "correct". And extrapolated beyond that, so that you're never correcting anyone, is something Dale Carnegie espoused in "How to Make Friends and Influence People". So I'm intrigued if that's how people took it.

I actually find this game to be more frustrating than QWOP or GIRP. In those, failure is imminent when you fuck up, and you just start over. In CLOP, you can get stuck in a rut where you're not moving forward, nor are you hitting a failure state, and that's way more stressful to me than simply eating it and restarting.

I like that CLOP is, in a weird kinda way, a rather logical successor to QWOP. How do you make a sequel? Take the good bits of the original and ADD MORE OF IT. Two legs? FOUR LEGS!! Add a story! Tighten the graphics! etc, etc. Of course, the resulting game is anything but logical.

I got around 1/4 of the way through, on to the first incline, but not too much further. It is a lot more forgiving than QWOP. My strategy for getting out of a rut was to alternate between the fore- and hind-legs. "Frustrating" is one way of describing it, but I found "tedious" to be more accurate. When I fail I attribute it more to luck and (a lack of) patience, rather than skill.

Then again, that's what a mediocre player would say, right?

GIRP, my favourite of the lot, feels like the opposite. When I fail, it's because I chose the wrong stone, or hit the wrong key, or moved the wrong finger, etc.