Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Stuff

Idle Hooves: CLOP

The lack of a CLOP thread is distressing. I'm expecting some in-depth strategic discussion. Personally I'm using a solid rhythmic 'HJKL' sequence which gets good speed on the flat but always results in a flip at the first steep incline. I started with a simultaneous 'H+J' to 'K+L' approach but there is an antagonistic action which reduces speed and fluidity. I have obviously thought about this too much.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, go to http://www.foddy.net/CLOP.html and become a majestic unicorn.

I am doing the exact same thing and am falling over at the exact same spot every time. Even slowing down to try and get some rear forward momentum (?) doesn't prevent me from flipping backwards. Oh well!

I was expecting this to be about some gross My Little Pony stuff.

I was preparing a frothing rage. Now I have nothing to use it on.

You can kind of trot by alternating between the outer then inner keys. L is the leg that always gets you in trouble on hills. Switching to alternating between H then JK is a craven, slow, horrible way to thrash your way up hills three legged, but it works. I can almost get into a gallop too, by going H, L, K, J in the correct rhythm. It seems to work best when H is the first leg.

I can reliably get past the halfway point now, but the big hill beyond that fucks me every time.

Has anyone else noticed the big flying star near the beginning? It's a maddening callback to Braid, and keeps making me wonder if there's a magic trot or a way of glitching to it.

Has anyone else noticed the big flying star near the beginning? It's a maddening callback to Braid, and keeps making me wonder if there's a magic trot or a way of glitching to it.

I saw the star just before going to sleep and wasn't sure if it was real. I'm glad it wasn't just my madness.

Can the game be completed where you move through it at a consistent pace and and galloping triumphantly? I assumed that's how it should work, like QWOP did once you got in a rhythm.

Completing it is impressive, but he "gamed" his way through.

I was expecting I'd have an advantage at this, having been a horse-mad girl and therefore knowing the cadence and pacing of the gaits (walk is a 4-beat, trot a 2-beat, canter a 3-beat) and being able to translate that into key-presses.

Nnnnnnnnnnnope.

I was expecting I'd have an advantage at this, having been a horse-mad girl and therefore knowing the cadence and pacing of the gaits (walk is a 4-beat, trot a 2-beat, canter a 3-beat) and being able to translate that into key-presses.

Nnnnnnnnnnnope.

Same here, all those month passed looking at Muybridge stuff never paid off. :broken:

Completing it is impressive, but he "gamed" his way through.

He "gamed" his way through a game... Hmm.

Actually, I believe that's how it's meant to be played.

What I meant that it wasn't very elegant; he didn't triumphantly gallop his way through, it was stuttered and he dragged his hind quarters along some of the way, which is "gaming" a system... but again I guess that's the way this wasn't meant to be played and you can't actually flawlessly gallop like you could flawlessly run in QWOP?

Nnnnnnnnnnnope.

This is disappointing. I was considering looking up galloping horse videos on YouTube to try to learn the rhythm, but alas...

This is disappointing. I was considering looking up galloping horse videos on YouTube to try to learn the rhythm, but alas...

Well, that would help you about as much as looking up videos of people running on YouTube is going to help in QWOP. Which is to say, if you can manage to recreate the stride, then you're golden, but the challenge isn't knowing what to do: it's being able to do it. subbes was saying that she knew what to do but that it didn't help, which is the case in CLOP as much as it was in QWOP. What might actually be going on, though, is that it would help immensely if she could also do the harder part of putting that knowledge into practice. Perhaps without her knowledge or your YouTube studying, a player would have no chance.

The physics are all over the place, that's why you can't play it any other way. As I'm sure you've seen, as soon as you hit a slight incline, you're forced to try anything to gain any purchase. A slight pebble can take ages to get over. That video is the only way to play the game... at least from my experience.

The physics are all over the place, that's why you can't play it any other way.

Can't be played any other way or does everyone who's tried just suck?

The first time I played QWOP it seemed like the only way to play was to make the little man seizure his way through, but practice and some pretty amazing gamers have proven that wrong.

I originally assumed CLOP was the same way, someone with enough proficiency would be able to make a pretty flawless looking run through with a horse; you're saying that it is outright impossible.

So, all I was asking was that are we sure it's not possible or have the controls and nuances just not been mastered yet? I think the current argument of no one's done it for a week old game isn't really enough for me to dismiss that the horse simply cannot run more elegantly.

If it wasn't for the obstacles, I'd probably agree, but it really makes me think you haven't played it... ? When you've got a horse that will slide backwards down a slight incline despite all four legs pulling it forward, it does make me somewhat sceptical that it could be done better.

It's pretty fun, though!

Well in QWOP you'd have a man flipping over and landing on his head despite moving at .0001 MPH on a flat surface with zero obstacles. So maybe you're being a little harsh on CLOP.

What's the deal with the aggression here, Thunderpeel? Of course I've played it and it's god damn hard, but this is the internet, people do some pretty ridiculous things on it so it leads me to wonder if someone master it.

That's my only point, don't have to be a knob about it.