Tanukitsune

One of the worst games ever has a Kickstarter to make it a like less crappy? Cheetahmen II

If you know your Nintendo history, you'll know the notorious Action 52 that included Cheetahmen, a terrible game. This game somehow got a sequel, Cheetahman II, which is super rare and expensive... and had a glitch that made it impossible to beat.

Well, apparently one of the persons responsible for it just started a Kickstarter for it and got the Angry Video Game Nerd to help with a video in which he claims he'll make a copy which you can actually finish.

Wow, it's already made more than 1/3 of it's goal already, who knew people would pay to play a terrible game? The weirdest thing is that you have to pay SIXTY dollars to get an actually copy of this terrible game.... What?!

I don't get it, is this only for hardcore collectors? Why would collectors want such a game in their collection?

Sounds like a collectors/cult following kind of thing where it attracts a niche group that is willing to pay for it. Like watching a really really terrible movie. (ex: Trolls 2)

Not surprising and it's not like everything on kickstarter is an innovative, brilliant, serious idea; we're not forced to participate in whatever they have going on so I'm not even going to bat an eye at this, or really care either way... I've seen worse ideas make more money on that site.

The thing about campy cult films is that they are fun to watch, I've never heard anybody say Cheetahman II was fun to play...

While looking for someone who actually likes this game, I found some disturbing things.

Apparently the Youtube version of the ad from AVGN has disabled it's comments and people claim that in one of the comments Mike Mattei said they don't really support this cause, which is bad since I assume most of the money came from their support. I've seen screenshots of this comment, but that's about it.

I also found out that you can already get a patched ROM of this game. So he doesn't even have to fix the game... This could be a scam, but did the AVGN know about it or what he used?

I ALSO HATE HOW THE WHOLE KICKSTARTER PAGE IS IN UPPERCASE! According to his bio, Cheetahman is the only game to his name, his "success in the gaming world" was running a game store.

Well, if this is a scam, he should know he won't keep a cent of it unless he reaches his goal.

Hm, that all does sound fishy, maybe send the link the Rolfe and Matie and they can sort it out with kickstarter if it turns out it's just a scam?

Do people still know what the Angry Video game Nerd is in 2012!?

With that much money you could make a brand new, modern Cheetahmen sequel and release it on Steam. But I dunno, I guess I just don't get the whole part where it's an NES cartridge and how much of a big deal that's supposed to be.

It's not like the AVGN has quit, he's just busy making a movie. People still remember Homestar Runner and that has been dead for AGES!